00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A New Age of NewGrounds

663 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-13 13:26:11

Ok so I've been wanting to root a Flash Anime- Animmoo- Fanime- Flashime whatever the hell you wanna call it, series here on Newgrounds but the stuff that pop up here sorta kill my drive to do so. SO MANY MANY one shot parodies pop up, and as an animator myself I already know the difficulties making a series, but difficulties aside come on! Maybe it just me; I mean I grew up in an age of Newgrounds (2006) where things like sprite series, and Animoos like Xin (though i don't like the series) and variety was "in". Sure they was the penis jokes and poopy farts and things that made people laugh but there were things to get invested to as well like There She Is . Fast forward to TOME (2011), Honestly I don't like that series to much but i still watch it cause its a flash series, and underdog series if you will. This is were I notice the serious decline in animations like this, especially things of an anime-nature. Like 3 other series poped up at that time and poof like that gone on not even clearing Episode 3 before being abandoned or lost in development limbo like Tanokiman, Ecco Force Zero, Kerslash, andEpexsus. Series like TOME and Shattered Heaven have left this space for better or for worst, but because of the "change" in content here its hard to tell if people didn't support Shattered Heaven b/c of it being a lame series or people just don't have the attention span for it any more or TOME being mega supported b/c the artist is Kirbopher or it's actually a good animation series.
Which makes me just wonder do you think there is still and audience here for Anime Series or has that wave passed?
cause sometimes success is biased on your audience (prime example: Sonic4 ep1)

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-14 06:39:22

At 1/13/15 01:26 PM, NeoNero7 wrote: Ok so I've been wanting to root a Flash Anime- Animmoo- Fanime- Flashime whatever the hell you wanna call it, series here on Newgrounds but the stuff that pop up here sorta kill my drive to do so. SO MANY MANY one shot parodies pop up,

You shouldn't let other content on Newgrounds discourage you.

Like 3 other series poped up at that time and poof like that gone on not even clearing Episode 3 before being abandoned or lost in development limbo like Tanokiman, Ecco Force Zero, Kerslash, andEpexsus. Series like TOME and Shattered Heaven have left this space for better or for worst

Most of these series are still in production but the creators take their time on the episodes. TOME's first season is over so naturally there will be a gap before the next release.

Which makes me just wonder do you think there is still and audience here for Anime Series or has that wave passed?

There's always an audience for quality content. Maybe not millions of people but at least people who can be touched for more than thirty seconds with methods other than videogame comedy.

BBS Signature

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-14 07:44:23

There is a huge influx of one shot parody stuff on here not only because it's become a nish for this site, but also because it's so much easier than doing a series with multiple episodes, especially with fight scenes.

I think you should make whatever kind of series you want to make and disregard what's "popular", because at the end of the day, it all comes down to how good it is. Nothing else.

You have to also understand that making an action "anime" series is facking hard and crazy time consuming if you don't have a team backing you up. You may find yourself in a similar development limbo once you get started.

I think Tome and Shattered Heaven are all well and good, but I think there is still a sizable void of quality anime influenced work that needs to be filled and an audience waiting for it to be filled. You just have to make it.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-14 16:44:45

I think Tome and Shattered Heaven are all well and good, but I think there is still a sizable void of quality anime influenced work that needs to be filled and an audience waiting for it to be filled. You just have to make it.

I'll make it -

Blog and more stuff here - http://jeremyray.newgrounds.com/follow

OP's point is well made though. The internet has an inherent bias toward original material. It's easier to search for "Pikachu" than "new original character I don't know exists." I get this strange feeling that most sites which purport to serve artists end up on a business model where they, to be blunt, use illegal Pikachus to sell ads. To be blunter, Mokepon@SmackJeeves, for example. The way I understood it, the way it used to be, fanfic was iffy even if you weren't making money off of it, but you definitely couldn't make money off of it. The artist and SmackJeeves are both making money off of Mokepon. I haven't been on Newgrounds long enough to know if it's the same here or not. If illegal Pikachus are keeping the lights on, it is what it is, but- what I'd like to see is active development of creators with original works. I'd like to know the site doesn't want to see original material drown in a sea of fanfic, because the internet does produce that strange dynamic. It's easier to search for Pikachu than what you don't know exists. It may not be as democratic but I feel like there's a need for the editorial hand.

BBS Signature

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-14 22:33:36

I haven't been on NG that long but I can definitely say I agree with you in terms of the community around here. It seems a lot of people here are interested in animations and games with shock value,gore, extreme exaggeration,penis jokes, and so on. I understand that's a trend going on, on the internet but I would still expect to see more diversity in terms of content. I joined this site because recently I have been interested in doing animation and after all the business going on with youtube, I was told that NG was my next best option. That NG was originally all about animation and game culture. I kept away from it because even years ago when I was maybe 13 or 14 ( 19 now) this was the type of content they were known for (as far as me and my friends knew). I joined thinking "Wow I was stupid to generalize all of NG like that. The ones I saw were just really popular around the web. Surely there are others like me who want/do different things as far as content". And then I get here and all, if not most things, I see is exactly what I thought I'd see.

What the people above me are saying are correct. We shouldn't let other peoples audiences influence what we put up. At the end of the day it is all about if it's good or not. But,what I will say is, the lack in diverse content and the internet trend of shock value animations, might be the reason a lot of people who don't want to make these kinds of videos aren't joining. Most artists, of any nature, post there work where they think it will be well received and noticed. And on the surface, NG just doesn't seem that this is the best place for content like the ones you're describing.

Maybe, it will take people like us to make the stuff like we like to help people see NG isn't as B&W as it seems.

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-15 04:56:41

Thanks its, cool to get some insight on these things.

At 1/14/15 06:39 AM, kmau wrote: Most of these series are still in production but the creators take their time on the episodes. TOME's first season is over so naturally there will be a gap before the next release.

I would like to note that TOME Season 2 is already three episodes in, but Kirb host it on his own blip n Youtube now and Shattered Heaven is on Ep 4 but not on NG

Also Out of order is another thing ive been looking forward too, i do hope you get around to it kmau

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-17 13:58:47

epexsus ep 2 is coming out this year, there's been several trailers out and a 2 minute preview. Go check them out!

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-17 20:18:17 (edited 2015-01-17 20:19:21)

I've actually been meaning to make an original series for a couple years now, even before joining NG. The way I see it, I'd like to establish a bit of a fan base before going ahead with an original idea. Parodies and one shots are a really nice way to hone your craft/ play with styles and at the same time, you'll acquire a small group of people who like what you do. Then tease them a bit with some roughs or wip here or there for a pilot, hype them up a bit, and finally release it to see how people react to it. Honestly you can create whatever you want whenever you want but that does effect the number of eyes you'll have watching it. It's really about what's important to you as the film maker. If you're here to make a fanbase, it's gonna be rough.

Again, these are just my thoughts and my plan. I'll always have my idea and I can act on it at any time, but I'm just not comfortable enough yet to start working on it.

EDIT: while an old thread, it's still a pretty relevant topic.

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-21 12:18:15

At 1/17/15 08:18 PM, k7vin wrote:

:/

wow, are you really that calculating?
that's even worse than me :D

actually I couldn't even say if the number of original content has decreased. i get what you mean, especially with FNAF and GameGrumps there have been loads of people using the hype to get their name out there. But honestly i don't blame them, because animation takes a lot of work and if something promising like FNAF come a long, i'd too try to use it to get the attention (i'd think) i deserve.
but you are right, some people go to far by never doing anything else than that.

But whenever you start to lose hopeto ever again see something creative and original
TOFA or NATA comes along :D

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-21 12:26:07

At 1/17/15 08:18 PM, k7vin wrote:

:/

wow, are you really that calculating?
that's even worse than me :D

actually I couldn't even say if the number of original content has decreased. i get what you mean, especially with FNAF and GameGrumps there have been loads of people using the hype to get their name out there. But honestly i don't blame them, because animation takes a lot of time and work and if something promising like FNAF come a long, i'd too try to use it to get the attention (i'd think) i deserve.
but you are right, some people go to far by never doing anything else than that.

But whenever you start to lose hopeto ever again see something creative and original
TOFA or NATA comes along :D

Response to A New Age of NewGrounds 2015-01-22 03:46:47

You need to consider your distribution platform. If I need to explain what the general population of NewGrounds will instinctively gravitate too, then a quick visit to the Art and Movies tab electing the Popular setting should be your huckleberry.

Yeah, you can ride the popularity wave of FNAF, Ponies, Pokeman, Mario, etc. by making 'parodies' and the like. I've seen many artists launched into internet fame for doing so, and good on them, they used that as a tool. You need to consider what kind of audience you want to attract and maybe if you're lucky your 'fans' will like/tolerate your original work when it appears.

Right now I'm mounting my own project I promised myself I would attempt and push it beyond my known limits as a creator. I've done a lot of homework on this before pulling the trigger. I came to many realizations, and I will share with you two of them.

Do what you like. March to the beat of your own drum, or dance to another. Can you keep pace?
Are you going to an audience already in place or will your work alone draw your fans?

To put this response into perspective: My project is a sci-fi adventure in an anthropomorphic universe. Essentially I'm bumping SWAT Kats and Bucky O'Hare into a more thrilling setting. The very popular media stigma of 'furries' is probably going to bury my project's potential success into obscurity, and I'm practically expecting it. Why try? Because it is something I want to see. I want it. And I'm going to do it.
Is NewGrounds my ideal launching platform for this? Yes and no. NG's Art Forum community has been very good to me and I've made it a point to give back. However, my 1st anthro cartoon short (2011) was 0-bombed and seemingly ignored from NG as a whole. I haven't submitted any animation 'furry'-related since. I have not entirely turned my back on NG, but I am not counting on finding my audience for said content here.

At 1/13/15 01:26 PM, NeoNero7 wrote: Ok so I've been wanting to root a Flash Anime- Animmoo- Fanime- Flashime whatever the hell you wanna call it, series here on Newgrounds but the stuff that pop up here sorta kill my drive to do so. SO MANY MANY one shot parodies pop up, and as an animator myself I already know the difficulties making a series, but difficulties aside come on! Maybe it just me; I mean I grew up in an age of Newgrounds (2006) where things like sprite series,...

:...
:...

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |