00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Let's Debate!: Overrated Games

4,163 Views | 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-07 23:59:58

At 1/7/15 06:05 PM, Wegra wrote:
I have to disagree I mean for its time and still to this day it did a lot of things right especially gameplay mechanics like the ability to skip a random battle against a weak enemy to grind easier. The humor is fun too

I agree with you that EarthBound is a good RPG, and for its time, hell yeah, it was awesome. But people, and lots of people, make it out to be the pinnacle of RPGs and of games in general. Which in my opinion, its not. But it is very fun to play, and I do like the humor as well.
Also, your signature is magical.

Let's Debate!: Overrated Games

THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 00:07:23

At 1/7/15 11:59 PM, BarninBella wrote:
At 1/7/15 06:05 PM, Wegra wrote:

I have @Mia to thank for that

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 00:09:45

At 1/8/15 12:07 AM, Wegra wrote:
At 1/7/15 11:59 PM, BarninBella wrote:
I have @Mia to thank for that

Well, she deserves an award.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 01:21:14

At 1/6/15 02:12 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: The following is overrated:

The Halo franchise

Never played it, but it does seemed very milked.

The Assassin's Creed franchise

I agree with that now, since it's starting to become a milked series with poorer quality each game. Up to Revelations, though, are good AC games.

The Doom franchise

I've never played any of the Doom games.

The Metal Gear Solid franchise

You're in the wrong here, if you ask me, but you are entitled to your own opinion. At least it's not one of those milked franchises. There are not even that many MGS games. Having so many CoD games in the CoD franchise, for example, is what people tend to see as overrated. The first and third MGS games, especially the first one, are on many people's lists of the best games ever made.

The Street Fighter franchise

I guess I could agree here.

The Mortal Kombat franchise

I'll agree with this one. Even though I love MK, they're just making up story lines now that have no real desirable qualities.

The Team Fortress franchise
Minecraft

Haven't played either of these games.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 10:46:40

Assassin's Creed is okay ,but not the most overrated series.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 10:56:22

At 1/8/15 10:46 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Assassin's Creed is okay ,but not the most overrated series.

Here's my problem with Assassins Creed. *Note: I've only ever played the third one.*,
It's just that when AC3 came out there was all the commercials and promos that made the game look super cool, which it kind of was. It was fun, it was cool, it was no masterpiece in my opinion, but it was a good game. But since then, it has become another series of video games that has a new release EVERY YEAR like CoD. And this wouldn't upset me much, but just about everyone I talk to about the new AC games say they all suck. And a lot of people on this thread too, have said that exact same thing. So, it kind of sucks to see a cool franchise have a good game come out every 2 - 3 years, now just have a subpar game come out every 11 months.
Just my opinion.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 16:12:55

Halo was so bad that is became a symbol for immature and obnoxious gamers. It is the number one overrated game of all time.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-08 19:46:40

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time get's too much praise. When it was released it was the pinnacle of video games. It was a big game changer in the industry. Nobody doubts that. However in terms of critics, they rank this as the best video game of all time. Ocarina of Time is to video games as Citizen Kane is to movies. You may not agree with this and you have the right to. Hell I don't agree that it is the best video game of all time. So yeah it's overrated and has it's fair share of naysayers so it has dwindled over time.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is usually brought up among Ocarina of Time haters and in which case I will gladly say that A Link to the Past is overrated. Yes it is a fun Zelda game. Yes Ocarina of Time borrowed elements from it that would be repeated in Twilight Princess. It however is also not that great of a game and hasn't aged as well as people like to think it has. A Link to the Past is not as overrated as Ocarina of Time, but I keep hearing it pop up whenever someone dislikes Ocarina of Time.

What would I think to be an overrated video game (besides A Link to the Past). Well EarthBound comes to mind from the praise it gets from the few who originally played it back in 1995 (I was playing Yoshi's Island at this point in time). You could say it's overrated due to the large amount of praise put towards it, but ultimately it's fans who are just sharing this game because it was unloved when it was released back in 1995. Be honest, how many here learned who Ness was due to Super Smash Bros.?

Oh yeah and I used to have fun talking about Super Smash Bros., until the tourney players showed up.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 01:02:54

1. Final Fantasy VI - The only reason it's my number one pick is because it's universally showered with praise, but people rarely even acknowledge the possibility that it's overrated; I think one of the reasons for this is that its status as "number two" (as opposed to Chrono Trigger for most popular SNES RPG and FF7 for most popular FF game) gave it an "underdog" status that effectively served as a barrier from "overrated" claims, eventually making it more overrated than either of the games initially overshadowing it (honestly, considering how regularly people scapegoat FF7 nowadays, I genuinely don't understand how people still consider it overrated to the degree in which they do).

2. Super Mario Bros 3 - The "gold standard" of 8-bit platforming & 2D Mario games is my personal least favorite of the NES trilogy and one of my least favorite 2D Mario games period. While plenty of other platformers (NES or otherwise) are in my opinion superior, the honest-to-god main reason I consider it overrated is how many people consider it better than World.

3. Mega Man 2 - Similar to #2, but to a lesser degree. I wouldn't say it's my least favorite game in the series by any means - it's just not the best.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 01:11:18

At 1/7/15 11:59 PM, BarninBella wrote: I agree with you that EarthBound is a good RPG, and for its time, hell yeah, it was awesome. But people, and lots of people, make it out to be the pinnacle of RPGs and of games in general. Which in my opinion, its not. But it is very fun to play, and I do like the humor as well.

I don't think people have ever made Earthbound out to be the pinnacle of RPGs. I mean, there's quite a few people that consider it the best video game of all time, but the gameplay is probably one of its least prominent sources of praise; people who like it typically praise the atmosphere, writing, and soundtrack more than anything.

In other words, Earthbound is usually praised as an unparalleled adventure with decent combat.

Dishonored. So much hype and praise for such a boring game with disturbing hands. And by that I mean the hands on everyone aside from the women were so fucking huge they're bigger than the models heads. It seems that it was so that it would fit the weapons. The main reason was because they had a teleportation power, it made completing the game through stealth so easy. The story wasn't that enticing either.

Then Bioshock Infinite. Honestly I thought it was boring like Dishonored until I got to the ending. The ending was good, but otherwise the game is overrated. The combat is just a couple of enemies recycled over and over and there's no real penalty for dying. The vigors are good since each of them were useful (except for the suction one), but otherwise I didn't see the point. It was better than Dishonored where there wasn't a point to half the powers mainly because the teleportation power had a couple of upgrades. The main thing I bought though was ammo, I rarely bought upgrades and I never was in a position where I was so destitute I couldn't buy ammunition. Once I finished it I looked up the meaning behind the ending a little then I never thought about the game again. Maybe I'm just used to games which you could play for hundreds of hours (namely RTS games) so seeing such hyped games end so quickly which are still repetitive is a bit disappointing.

I used to think that people complaining about games being too easy were stupid, but now I'm on board. I've beaten Star Wars Republican Commando a couple months ago, a game which as a kid had me stumped at the end of the first level. It was a hellhole to get through, but still most of the game still had new enemies spawning (until the end where Geonosians were on the wookie planet like that made any sense). I don't think I played on very hard (it was a time where I think they made you unlock that mode), but that game is infinitely more difficult and in this case more engaging than Bioshock Infinite in terms of combat. Obviously the story wasn't even in the same playing field, that I give it to Bioshock Infinite. The last level gave me a fit in Bioshock Infinite but that was because dying had a consequence. Even the ghost isn't that bad because you're instantly revived I guess making combat easier lets the player focus on the story more but for me the lack of difficulty in the combat makes me less engaged in the actual game. I'm not someone who plays Dark Souls or anything, but do video games have to be made this easy for them to be successful?

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 14:19:19

Well for games according to me that I find overrated are: Assassin's Creed (I have Revelations and beaten AC2) and Call of Duty (I have BO, W@W, and MW2). Well for me, I don't really pay much attention to other games' popularities. I don't like AC because they milked the series probably after Revelations and Desmond (well you know what happens) then after that, to me it's not about AC anymore just very sad for me. I don't like CoD because the developers try too hard making a better game instead of improving it, that's why I never buy another CoD game again.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 15:57:42

As I just mentioned in an eariler post, Earthbound is an overrated game (and the Mother series for that matter) not necessarily because of gameplay, but because of the rarity of the game. We know that overexposure often leads into the perception of something being overrated, but in this case, it's the relative rarity of this game means that few folks have actually played the game, and they hype it up to a rather obscene limit, also because of said rarity, allows it to go under the radar for so long, and practically charge an arm and a leg for it online. Psychonauts had a similar problem to Earthbound in many ways, it's no stretch of the imagination to say that Psychonauts is this generation's Earthbound, for better or worse.

Speaking of overexposure, Assassin's Creed is another overrated series, not neceassrily because of the yearly releases, but more so being inconsistent in quality and with the MC. The first AC was pretty much average at best, and the dialogue was rather poor, but it started to get much better with Ezio and AC2 and Brotherhood, before sliding down with Revelations and AC3, with Connor Kenway largely being disingenuous and unlikeable. Black Flag might actually be the best AC game, mostly because Edward Kenway is very relatable, the combat is solid and it's so much more fun being a pirate sailing in the open seas.

TL;DR version: Earthbound overrated because of rarity and fans jacking up the price, AC series overrated because of inconsistencies in gameplay and MC.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 16:42:19

At 1/9/15 01:11 AM, FlockMastaBack wrote: In other words, Earthbound is usually praised as an unparalleled adventure with decent combat.

well put.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 17:28:11

At 1/6/15 12:46 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 1/5/15 10:18 PM, BarninBella wrote:
At 1/5/15 09:50 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Half Life 2 is the most overrated game I have ever seen.
It has its moments where it sorts of fun. But for the most part, its really boring. Like the part where you are in the speedboat. Oh my god, I wondered if it would ever end.
Never gotten past it.

Tried to play it a good few times, always end up switching it off and never going back to it around there.

Love the original Half-Life, too.

Nobody likes Water Hazard, but most of the rest of the game is really great except maybe Sandtraps (until the end of the level before Nova Prospekt). L4D 1 and 2 are also a blast, especially with friends who aren't assholes.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 18:58:50

i'd argue that final fantasy 7 is heinously overrated. now before i go on i must say i do love final fantasy 7, it was my first rpg experience and it has stuck with me as a major part of my childhood.
HOWEVER
there are far better games within the final fantasy series (final fantasy 6 and 9 for instance), and the final fantasy series as a whole is far from the best JRPGs out there (my personal favourite JRPG series is the shin megami tensei series, particularly the persona subseries). i have good memories of final fantasy 7, yes, and it did introduce the whole cinematic aspect to console RPGs, but let's be honest, it's aged like a fine wine that's been left open for the last 20 years in not only aesthetic, but translation as well. the story is good, but i've seen far better and some of the minigames are horrible (for every motorbike ride there's a fucking mog's house).
despite what its champions say, final fantasy 7 is deeply and heavily flawed, and also it's highly overrated since there has been better done before and since.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 19:33:11

This thread so far:
Halo is overrated
as is FF7
as is EarthBound
as is Half Life 2
as is Halo
as is Assassins Creed.
I LOVE IT!

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 19:34:46

At 1/9/15 05:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Nobody likes Water Hazard, but most of the rest of the game is really great except maybe Sandtraps (until the end of the level before Nova Prospekt). L4D 1 and 2 are also a blast, especially with friends who aren't assholes.

Honestly, the farthest I ever got in that game was like Ravenholm, which seemed cool. But i just lost interest. Maybe I'll go back to it one day though.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 20:58:59

Also, I'd say Gears of War. Those games were decent, but they were awfully popular for what I got out of them. I still had some fun doing campaign with a friend on the first 2 games. I never did play them after that, though.

At 1/9/15 07:34 PM, BarninBella wrote:
At 1/9/15 05:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Honestly, the farthest I ever got in that game was like Ravenholm, which seemed cool. But i just lost interest. Maybe I'll go back to it one day though.

Ravenholm was cool the first time I played cuz it kept me on my toes. Those poison headcrabs will make you panic. Then there's the part where you fall into a pit crawling with them. Also loved whenever I found saw blades to launch at zombies. Highway 17 comes after that which is when you get the crossbow which brings so much sadistic joy stapling everybody to the walls and their legs go all ragdoll pendulum. I would always leave the one guy on the billboard alive and backtrack to him after I got it. The bit where you're trying to get across the beams underneath the bridge is kinda neat too, trying to pick off enemies from far away before you got to them. If you were out of bolts, getting a revolver headshot was satisfying. I liked how pretty much every gun was lots of fun to use and you might go back to them still later on. You also missed out on the machine gun with the disintegrating energy ball things. Loved catching several combine with that in hallways in Nova Projekt. In between Highway 17 and Nova Projekt is Sandtrap, though, which is kind of a drag, but when you get control of the antlions, it's fun charging the combine at the end. Then you got the big battle when you get to City 17 and you're leading a few rebels. I used to get them killed on purpose cuz I find that kind of thing amusing. Also, throwing around ragdolling combine at the end when your gravity gun gets superpowered. There were some parts where the game hit a snag, but luckily you can always level select plus you can save at any spot so that's cool if you finished a tedious part and know a good part is coming.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 22:05:34

sonic 1, 2, and 3.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-09 23:03:13

There are no overrated games anymore. No matter how beloved a game is there's a whole community of people out there dedicated to hating it to balance it out.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-10 00:39:30

At 1/9/15 11:03 PM, Jercurpac wrote: There are no overrated games anymore. No matter how beloved a game is there's a whole community of people out there dedicated to hating it to balance it out.

Haha. You know what, thats actually pretty accurate. Never thought about it that way... interesting......

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-10 00:45:50

At 1/9/15 10:05 PM, JaredinoV2 wrote: sonic 1, 2, and 3.

I am okay with this.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-12 21:53:26

Call of Duty.
Seriously guys, it isn't even funny how little each game changes and yet a crapton of its fanbase pay $50+ every year to get the latest one.
Outlast
It was good gameplay wise. Hell, it was great in terms of gameplay. But horror? Not even close. With annoying chases, spammed jumpscares and the stupidest ending and people still think it's scarier than Amnesia. Yeah, I don't think so Pewds.
That's just to name 2 that I can currently think of.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-12 23:28:38

At 1/12/15 09:53 PM, TheWalshinator1 wrote: Call of Duty.

You're about four years late, bud.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-12 23:29:38

At 1/9/15 10:05 PM, JaredinoV2 wrote: sonic 1, 2, and 3.

As far as platformers go, I think Sonic 3 and Knuckles is by far my favorite one. It might be because I can't help but compare it to Mario which infuriates me with it's slidey physics. Also the fast pace of Sonic makes it pretty unique for that era.

The main games I find to be overrated are horror games. It became big all the sudden and now every new horror game is just shovelware with the lights off. Slender getting big is what killed the genre, I think.

BBS Signature

At 1/12/15 11:28 PM, FlockMastaBack wrote:
At 1/12/15 09:53 PM, TheWalshinator1 wrote: Call of Duty.
You're about four years late, bud.

Still, it hasn't had much of a mention on this forum and people are ripping on Halo.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-13 12:41:53

At 1/13/15 10:58 AM, TheWalshinator1 wrote: Still, it hasn't had much of a mention on this forum and people are ripping on Halo.

"People", mainly being me, right?

I dislike Halo for some very specific reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Call of Duty is a good game, I just have more particular reasons to dislike Halo than I do Call of Duty. CoD is one of those things that I see as a waste of time to explain why I dislike because it is almost universally disliked by non-casual gamers.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-13 19:21:12

Gentleman, both Halo and CoD are overrated. Can't we all get along?

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-14 10:51:06

Hate to say it, but Smash Bros.

People pretty much knew Shulk from Smash and not his original game, not to mention his memes.