00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

namilos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Discussions about visual design?

333 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Discussions about visual design? 2014-12-20 21:44:52

I know this isn't the art forum, but unless they create a popular board distinctly for game art, I feel better about posting questions about design interfaces(both visual and code-related) on this board. This is the group that has to look at this sort of thing all the time and has a better understanding of how art is applied to games. Asking the art people what they think of something game related might not give me the best perspective.

i just don't want to get bitched out about it, so let me know your thoughts.

Response to Discussions about visual design? 2014-12-20 22:55:17

At 12/20/14 09:44 PM, Barzona wrote: I know this isn't the art forum, but unless they create a popular board distinctly for game art, I feel better about posting questions about design interfaces(both visual and code-related) on this board. This is the group that has to look at this sort of thing all the time and has a better understanding of how art is applied to games. Asking the art people what they think of something game related might not give me the best perspective.

i just don't want to get bitched out about it, so let me know your thoughts.

As far as UI goes, simple and not cluttered are the most important things I feel. Maybe there's a thousand buttons or text fields that your artist is psyched about displaying to players, but you have to divorce yourself from your game and realize that no one else cares. If you keep it in mind to show the players only what they absolutely need to know at any given time or have access to such info in a separate menu, it should be good.

Then there's color theory, colorblindness (ng won't let me linkify: http://web.archive.org/web/20081014161121/http://www.colorjack.com/labs/colormatrix/), and all the actual artsy fartsy stuff. All good indie games have a campfire, so be sure to include one.

Response to Discussions about visual design? 2014-12-20 23:08:06

At 12/20/14 10:55 PM, MSGhero wrote: As far as UI goes, simple and not cluttered are the most important things I feel. Maybe there's a thousand buttons or text fields that your artist is psyched about displaying to players, but you have to divorce yourself from your game and realize that no one else cares. If you keep it in mind to show the players only what they absolutely need to know at any given time or have access to such info in a separate menu, it should be good.

Those basics i get, but I still want to make the menu part of the experience. My problem is that my current button arrangement is really conventional. I want to make it simple, yet unique.

All good indie games have a campfire, so be sure to include one.

:> Way ahead of ya. I think i know how I'll work one in there. haha