00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted lok supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Are modern games worth it?

2,406 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-21 22:26:27

It all just seems repetitive, and it seems that gaming these days is pushing too hard to make simple consoles into an all round social service device.

Oh look, nipple rings

It's got to appeal to a wide audience somehow. It's still worth it if you're willing to look deeper for your gaming needs outside triple a Titles but that takes a lot of time.Besides I don't think just anyone can master the controls on Steel Battalion

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-21 23:07:35

Most of the ones I buy I just don't feel like playing.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-22 01:25:50

No, retro games are superior.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-22 13:39:50

That's an easy answer, yes it is.

I never could understand the flaky pessimism that some gamers seem to have, especially when their is so many choices in games availible. Appealing to a wide audience is not a bad thing at all, and the only people who get upset are the elitist anti-social types, who should be ignored. There are plenty of AAA games out there on all consoles that are worth playing, (no, not all of them are shooters) and there are a few worthy indie titles if your into that.

This is one of the best times to be gamer, considering all of the choices out there.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-22 14:36:30

At 11/22/14 01:25 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: No, retro games are superior.

I believe the PSX starting to rear it's head as a retro console huh?

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-22 14:48:12

At 11/22/14 01:52 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 11/22/14 01:39 PM, orangebomb wrote: This is one of the best times to be gamer, considering all of the choices out there.
i highly disagree

Not that you're entirely wrong, but maybe we should get a wider look at things. What were the best selling games from previous generations?

Sixth Generation:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2 - 17.5 million, may include PC and Xbox versions)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 - 14.89 million shipped)
Grand Theft Auto III (PS2 - 14.5 million, may include PC and Xbox versions)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 - 12 million)
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2 - 10.06 million shipped)
Halo 2 (XBX - 8 million)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (NGC - 7.09 million)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2 - 7 million)
Final Fantasy X (PS2 - 6.6 million)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2 - 5.2 million approximately: 2.4 million in Japan, 1.7 million in US, 1.1 million in Europe; 5.2 million shipped)

Fifth Generation:

Super Mario 64 (N64 - 11 million)
Gran Turismo (PSX - 10.85 million shipped)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX - 9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
Gran Turismo 2 (PSX - 9.37 million shipped)
Mario Kart 64 (N64 - 8.47 million approximately: 6.23 million in US and PAL region 2.24 million in Japan)
GoldenEye 007 (N64 - 8 million)
Tomb Raider II (PSX - 8 million)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 - 7.6 million)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX - 7 million)
Tomb Raider (PSX - 7 million)

Harder to find overall numbers for the fourth gen systems, but here's a look at the SNES sales

1. Super Mario World - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 20.6 million
2. Super Mario All-Stars - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 10.55 million
3. Donkey Kong Country - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 9.3 million
4. Super Mario Kart - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 8.76 million
5. Street Fighter II - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 6.3 million
6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 5.15 million
7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 4.61 million
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 4.12 million
9. Street Fighter II Turbo - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 4.1 million
10. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double T... - Super famicom and SNES Sales: 3.51 million

Seems like the best selling games are almost always from an established series. If you just look at the best selling games you're probably not getting a good overall picture of what's going on in any particular generation of games.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-22 15:31:02

At 11/22/14 02:36 PM, argile wrote:
At 11/22/14 01:25 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: No, retro games are superior.
I believe the PSX starting to rear it's head as a retro console huh?

But Yeah the older stuff from previous generations have more soul and feeling going for it clearly not that I'm saying newer games don't possess such qualities ofcourse

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-22 15:40:53

At 11/22/14 01:52 PM, Sekhem wrote: that's fucking pathetic

Um, not really. That shows that established franchises for the most part sell very well, and for the most part, they are usually worth playing just on brand name alone. Not to mention that there are some family games on this list, which means that there are more than the regular hardcore gamer crowd buying and playing games.

Also, people aren't that dumb. I would think that they would know a good game from a bad one and so do developers, it's not that much different from any other business. Sure, there are some that'll slip through the cracks on both sides of the spectrum, but that's to be expected and trying to completely patch it up is impossible.

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-24 11:51:32

If you enjoy modern games than go for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-24 22:17:45

At 11/21/14 10:26 PM, fmn335 wrote: It all just seems repetitive, and it seems that gaming these days is pushing too hard to make simple consoles into an all round social service device.

There are still many complex, fun games, and you're free to ignore the social media features which are on consoles. I know I do and so they don't bother me, because I don't use 'em. You just have to actually look for them as they come out and do research on new games, rather than relying on a game's reputation like we can for all older games. I've probably found more good games from this year than the last few, honestly.

Also, repetition? If anything, newer (good) games have been getting less repetitive.

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-24 22:32:22

I'd always recommend watching some of the game first before forking out money to buy it, obviously watching some of the game means someone playing it who isn't being basically paid by the developers to say the game is good. As that won't help you at all.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-25 13:47:07

Good games are always worth it, new or old. It's just getting harder to find them in the flood of big-budget commercial shit.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-26 15:34:17

At 11/25/14 01:47 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Good games are always worth it, new or old. It's just getting harder to find them in the flood of big-budget commercial shit.

exactly.
and there is always treasure among the trash.
let's not forget that there is always a LOT of trash.

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-26 16:11:42

At 11/24/14 10:17 PM, Psychopathic-Mind wrote:

You just have to actually look for them as they come out and do research on new games, rather than relying on a game's reputation like we can for all older games.

Would the best result of research be from Reading and comparing various reviews,watching gameplay,trailers,behind the scene stuff or various screen shots of the game?

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-11-28 23:35:14

I feel as though while modern gaming as slid into pandering bullshit with making games about mindless violence and structuring them towards teens and adults (which ironically panders more towards little kids instead), there are a few diamonds in the rough. Yeah it's an age old saying and probably doesn't bring much else new to the table but I feel as though it's beyond true. We look at "modern gaming" as the onslaught of FPSs and games the suffer franchises that suffer from the good ol' Sequel-itis. But really, we need to blame ourselves for the lack of innovation we say we don't get enough of. MatPatt of Game Theory even once said that we say modern gaming blows becasue we don't give other games a try. We're afraid of trying something new. And this new innovative experience comes from the form of gaming that is often neglected the most; indie games. These guys know what is to be done because they are the same people like us who complain about today's games and want to bring us something new without coporate BS. But hey, that's not to say big name developers can't bring an innovative experience. One of the most innovative games of recent memory in my opinion is Dark Souls. It not only brings back the feel of classic games, but it also brings an innovative experience of hard but fair. I feel as though this change in shift from current games present in Dark Souls shows that, yeah, modern games are worth it. There is always that one title or two monthly or yearly that sticks out as a true experience that can give us a breath of fresh air in the gaming community.

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-12-02 22:54:21

At 12/2/14 06:50 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: games i dont mind so much. apart from the fact that by merely existing at present, they support shit current gen consoles. first party games arent all they're cracked up to be right now either for the most part.

Uh, we're barely into this generation of consoles, they are essentially just testing the waters at this point, largely because the last generation of consoles were so successful, and they are still supporting the 360 and PS3 consoles, though expect that to dwindle down after next year or so. The rule of thumb is that it takes 2-3 years into a console before the good games start to come in.

so, if you're a pirate who only ever cared for third party devs, sure it's one of the best times to be a gamer. if you picked the right third party. activision and capcom can only get worse however. not sure bout konami... they're fickle.

I don't think I was talking about pirating games, I'd rather save that discussion on another thread.

sqenix is decent... if you're not into final fantasy right now...

Never cared for FF after IX, so no skin off my back there. They have bad business practices, but in spite of that, they do have made some good games {the Western focused ones, at least}

but for the most part its just indies that are good as ever. otherwise, it largely died.

Hardly. I keep saying this over and over again, but most indie games aren't even worth playing. The only reasons why people keep propping them up is because of who they are, and love to exploit the gullibility of jaded, cynical gamers. That doesn't mean that there are worthy games that are worth playing, but at best, they're well constructed curiosities that are mostly for casual or snobby gamers.

there are so many choices in games, but few more new good games. except by indie devs. not to say there arent any good new ones from big companies, just that the rate at which they are churned out has vastly diminished over the years.

Are you that blind? As I said, most of the indie games out there are hardly worth playing, unless you are a gamer snob or need something to hold you over between major releases. If anything, the quality of games in general has gone up over the years with improvements in technology, which in turn, the standards are set very high. Yes, you're going to have some bad games in the mix {Ride to Hell for example} but the ratio of good to bad games is much higher than any other time in gaming history, and that's not including the many different genres that are available.

they dont make anywhere near the effort in quality new stuff they used to, because they found out they can keep making money off stuff that should have been left as freeware to fans long ago. their greediness is their downfall. as far as nondouchebaggery goes.

That doesn't make any sense, as the vast majority of games today couldn't be thought up of say, 15 years ago. Granted, a lot of it is more graphics and aesthetics than anything else, but that still counts. With the exception of the nostalgia whores, no one can say with a straight face that the quality of games as a whole is much higher than ever before, almost to the point where we're pretty spoiled at what we got in the last generation.

There's nothing wrong with liking old games, or even preferring them. But at the same time, you can't turn around and say that classic gaming is superior for totally arbitrary and subjective reasons that just don't really hold any water, and that's where the nostalgia fanboys often trip up on.

there will always however be junkies too wealthy and attached to their brand loyalty to help themselves however, and this is why they'll remain in business for all time.

Yes, because insulting gamers for having preferences different from your own makes you feel superior. Gamers and games in general aren't one big monolith who think alike on everything, but it seems like certain people keep missing the forest for the trees, and in good conscience, I just can't let that type of ignorance slide forever.

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-12-02 23:37:54

At 12/2/14 06:56 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: nor does it mean that just because some noobs to gaming come along who think newer, more powerful tech is always better that they're always right.

I could not agree more. Classic retro games, should never be forgotten.

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-12-02 23:45:10

At 12/2/14 11:18 PM, Sekhem wrote: shovel knight
don't starve
hotline miami
ftl
gone home
papers, please
stanley parable
battleblock theater

And out of all those, 2 are honestly worth playing, 5 are meh at best, and Gone Home is a fucking joke. Please tell me I'm not the only one who praises a game that with horrific writing, and dull, medial gameplay.

i love all the great major titles this year that were broken at launch and prove that improvements in technology and standards are at an all-time high

halo master chief collection, assassin's creed: unity, driveclub, battlefield 4, and call of duty: advanced war etc

Blame that on production schedules by the publishers, not just the developers themselves. By no means that this should be acceptable, but we seem to forget that before last generation, if you got a very buggy game, then you were SOL. Also, there are more games then just those you know right now for the current generation of consoles. {Sunset Overdrive, Shadow of Mordor, etc.}

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-12-03 03:33:41

At 12/2/14 10:54 PM, orangebomb wrote: Yes, because insulting gamers for having preferences different from your own makes you feel superior. Gamers and games in general aren't one big monolith who think alike on everything, but it seems like certain people keep missing the forest for the trees, and in good conscience, I just can't let that type of ignorance slide forever.

Says the guys who just called anyone who likes indie games an elitist snob and apparently thinks "indie" is synonymous with low-gameplay art games.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-12-03 04:22:39

The video game industry has evolved into a money making giant. A business first and a form of art second. Sure we can see the greatness and beauty in video games. Companies do not. There is a lot of love for Mega Man, but Capcom doesn't give a shit, that's why they didn't care if Nintendo has him in Smash Bros. They don't care. The industry is a business, plain and simple. Things that sell, businesses like. The biggest video game as of right now is Minecraft. There is nothing out there that has generated as much appeal, as much love, and as big of a fan base as Minecraft. You can try to argue this point all you want, but it is true. Is it the best selling game? Absolutely not, but it is the biggest thing in this industry as of right now. The biggest series right now is Call of Duty. Again your opinion means nothing. This is a business.

The best game I have seen come out recently has been Shovel Knight. It has its fans and it is selling well. The critics love it and the pseudo-comedian-critics also love it. It is a good game. Does that matter no? Of course not. The people focus on what games that they want and the triple A players are sticking to the PS4 and the XBOX One because they still have normal controllers while Nintendo is still trying to be different with the Wii U controller. True they're still trying to pull in developers with it, but not many are biting. The only reason to own a Nintendo console is if you like Nintendo's games. Reason being that I have a Nintendo Wii U and I will soon own a PS4.

The modern games are worth it whether they be triple A or indie. The retro scene is still just as strong now, the biggest seller for retro collectors now surprisingly enough is the Nintendo Gamecube. Many people are more focused on retro gaming for games that they haven't played before which makes future consoles not being backwards compatible stupid. Although people complained about the price of convenience when the PS3's high price gave you three consoles in one. So the business looked and instead of speaking on an artistic point or trying to adapt to the market that was growing they instead simply broke down and gave the people what they wanted then when the people got what they wanted they cried once more about the PS3 not playing PS2 games. It is stupid.

Modern games are designed with very little in mind. To simply be an expansion through new game or DLC and very little to do with story. Spoon feeding you less and promising you that it's more. Modern games are to be evaluated for what they truly give you instead of just what you think you wanted. Focus groups tend to replace design and when something with thought, effort, and care come into view it is either shunned or misunderstood for something completely different. When something shines through and becomes popular it becomes something to milk merely to get money. To point the finger at Nintendo for doing this while buying a PS4 or XBOX One for a series you love just as much is highly hypocritical.

The industry adapted around the fans instead of trying to please them they simply gave them what they wanted. If anyone here is to blame for the lackluster modern era it is above all the fans for not deciding what they wanted. The overabundance has seemed to destroy us all and the only ones reaping the benefits are the PC gamers, for they're the only ones who seem to know when they're getting screwed. I want to make a note here that there is no elitism, no PC vs. Console. We all love video games. There will be an integration to the fading of the console. The first to make this jump will either be Microsoft or Nintendo, most likely Nintendo since they can gamble better and still walk away if they lose.

The PC gamers will change this industry for the better, while the console gamers merely scratch their heads for wondering if these games are worth it. The prices are extraordinarily high, the production costs are that of a Hollywood movie, where the difference in price going from $8-$14 for a movie to $40-$60 for a game. To much to invest and the loss of proper rentals, where it has been replaced by Game Fly for a monthly fee. The developers don't know what to do, the publishers are simply trying to sell a product and the companies are merely looking to bank with the console manufacturers merely serving as a shell of a platform, a platform which is called a computer and that everybody has and are learning more and more about with the future of technology.

So TL;DR, no... modern games are not worth it.

Sorry for the long rant.

Response to Are modern games worth it? 2014-12-03 14:35:50

Imma let you finish...

Kanye don't lie.

Are modern games worth it?

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature