00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kinoki just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Learning to draw with Sockembop

2,928 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 05:42:21

Aww yiss let's do this, thanks @Havegum for mentioning me, and please do so again when you make the new thread :]

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 07:38:53

At 3/6/15 06:56 AM, JojoDodo wrote: So, instead of posting a whole sheet of gesture practice, it may be more useful for people if the guy who posts gives some advice, and tries to explain some of his/her process and what not. Let me know what you, guys, think about this.

Well my initial thought was to just have it somewhere to post your daily studies and help eachother to do better practice as we go. Essentially like the art forum lounge, but with the focus being on studies. I would be fine with it being loads of gestures if everyone happens to do that. But if someone does value studies, perspective, colour, mark making, or anything else - that'd be cool too!

I'm hoping it can be a social place to dump dailies and over time help each other improve, not necessarily a resource base for looking up later.

BBS Signature

@JojoDodo
I second this idea, it will also make me have to think about what i just drew, which is something i should do more often.

Edit: Or you know, like Havegum said, you guys decide xD

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

BBS Signature

@JojoDodo @Havegum

Well, it can be like, those confident, can post their stuff and explain what they did and what they learnt, and those who are feeling like they need help, can ask, and it would be like a community where everyone learns from other people's studies, and everyone helps those who need it.

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 08:31:15

So is it a daily dump, share only a study that you need advice on, or both? .-.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 08:32:01

At 3/6/15 07:57 AM, JojoDodo wrote: @Daker777NG
I'm totally fine with that, and perhaps I went a little bit too far...on the other hand, the gesture thing was just an example, what i'm trying to say is that it'll be a little bit more beginer/new-user friendly if we add some comment on the process or whatever, because, i don't know you, guys, but when i started drawing i'd look at studies - wether they wew gesture, value, perspective, etc. - and i wouldn't know what to make of it. Idk, just a thought

Oh, yeah definitely! I think user friendliness is of great priority and I hope the thread will be casual enough to be inviting new users but also serious enough for creating a sense of accountability and promote commitment! I think a lot of the user friendliness can be solved by having a solid first post? Maybe have a short summary of the practices we use the most and a link to a more in-depth Art101 news post so that it can be edited later?

With that in mind what would you consider to be the most used practices? Gestures and value studies are perhaps done the most, but I've also seen some master studies, colour studies, etc, etc? I guess it's a matter of how much we wanna add before it's too dry and becomes discouraging for new users.

BBS Signature

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 09:16:14

At 3/6/15 09:07 AM, JojoDodo wrote: @123mine123mine

lol

Go for it, make the thread...or i'll, or anybody, really :3

Well not me if you don't want the thread title to be something stupid like below. C:

Learning to draw with Sockembop

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 09:22:33

@Havegum

You can make a first post something like (take these just as ideas):

-Make clear that ALL levels of skill are welcome
-Encourage people to share what they learnt with the study, kinda like in conceptart.org level up thing
-Please ask for help if you need it, tis a place of free knowledge
-Give away links to helpful tutorials/resources for the most common studies people do, (ex: sycra's channel, quickposes.com, etc..)
-Maybe prohibit comment spamming, like if you have more than a study to share, keep it all in a single image or post it the next day (dunno if this would be really a problem tho)
-All the stuff posted must be studies of any kind, but not doodles, illustrations, etc... make clear what counts as study and what doesn't. This would be to prevent people from flooding the thread with mindless drawings, although you decide if it's a good idea to do it.
-Encourage people to consider helping other people in the thread, contribute to the cause!

The most common studies i can think of are gesture, value, anatomy, facial expressions, facial features, colors, perspective, environments, composition, animals, clothing, etc...

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

BBS Signature

At 3/6/15 09:36 AM, JojoDodo wrote: @havegum @daker777NG @123mine123
Edit: If you guys want to write the guidelines, go ahead. I'm no native speaker and I'm afraid of messing up.

Something like this?

--
The Art Workshop
--

Hey, and welcome to the NG Art workshop!

This is a thread for posting studies, sharing thoughts, providing and recieving feeback. Everyone is welcome to post their studies regardless of skill-level. Weither you've got years of experience or only just started out you're welcome here!

This thread is 100% community driven - giving another artist feedback everytime you post your own work is a good ha bit and very highly apreciated. We're all here to help each other out!

If you're wondering where to begin:
- Quickposes and Pixelovely are sites built for gesture drawings.
- Blushots has high-quality screenshots from movies and series, good for practicing composition!
- Sycra, FZD school, and Draw With Jazza are youtube channels with tons of useful information
What everyone looking to practice is individual, so don't be afraid to ask around - maybe someone here knows about something that could suit you better!

Note that while everyone is invited, this thread is exclusively for studies. A study is "something produced as an educational exercise". The primary purpose of what you post should be to learn more or explore a subject. Please try to keep your daily studies in one or two images. For instance - if you're doing gestures, resize and arrange the drawings so they fit in one image. The same goes for longer, and different kinds of studies.

If you have any questions at all, we're all here to help each other - so feel free to ask if you wonder about what, how, where, or why!

BBS Signature

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 13:04:21

At 3/6/15 09:36 AM, JojoDodo wrote: @havegum @daker777NG @123mine123

I'm down with that. @amaralzex, wanna take part on this, mate?

Edit: If you guys want to write the guidelines, go ahead. I'm no native speaker and I'm afraid of messing up.

oh its great... maybe we can share some workflow methods with some tips. thx for the tag JojoDodo

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 13:22:21

@Havegum

Proofread before posting because there's a couple of mistakes like "Weither" and "ha bit", otherwise it's perfect :)

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Learning to draw with Sockembop 2015-03-06 14:16:43

@JojoDodo @Daker777NG

Alright! Give me an hour to do a quick skull study, I figure that'll make a nice and suitable starting pic. And thanks Daker for the spell check!

BBS Signature