00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Places You've Been Warned About...

1,657 Views | 44 Replies

We've all heard word-of-mouth accounts about people having negative experiences in certain cities or countries.

What are some of the places you've heard receive a bad reputation about them that it actually discourages you from ever wanting to visit there? What was the rumor that you heard or read?

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-17 15:15:42

Everybody I know who says they have visited Missouri have told me that it is a terrible place. I don't think that it discourages me from wanting to visit and judge for myself, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-17 15:23:53

At 11/17/14 03:15 PM, Cordyceps wrote: High Level. God damn.

"High Level?" Where is this?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-17 15:25:36

People keep making fun of Detroit, and it's not usually robo-cops fault.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-17 15:32:24

I've heard some weird stuff about this half decayed mansion in Innsmouth.

From the stuff I've heard it can't be true, but I often wonder about it.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-17 16:33:42

At 11/17/14 04:24 PM, SentForMe wrote: North Korea

Pretty much every horrible thing you've heard about a country doing to its people, they do here.

Slavery. Check
Starvation. Check
Novel and sadistic forms of Torture. Check
Random Executions. Check
Concentration Camps. Check
Stonings. Check
Mad man with huge army and nuclear weapons. Check
High chance of being imprisoned if you visit. Check
1984-level propaganda machine. Check
No legal internet access for average citizen. Check
Forced to burn your family members alive. Check

Seriously, that's just a small fraction of the issues. It's basically a sort of nation-state hell on Earth.

Other countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, etc. seem pretty awful too. I'm sure there a few nice places in those countries as well as plenty of nice people, but I'd imagine them to be dangerous, extremely hot, poor, and depressing to be in, even for a day.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 08:18:17

I've visited Glasgow, Scotland passing by on my way to Stirling and Edinburgh, but not even a few months ago I heard the tale of a girl who had spent a week in Glasgow. She was warned that at night it gets very...stabby...like, a LOT of people get stabbed in Glasgow at night, apparently. I had no idea...can anyone confirm this claim?

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 10:56:04

The Middle East. The West. The South too. North seems OK.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 13:33:05

The middle east.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 13:50:47

East St. Louis, IL. I've heard that you'd take a glock to the head if you stop at the wrong stop sign there.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 13:57:13

At 11/17/14 03:12 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Your mom's cunt.

/thread

shots fired

Places You've Been Warned About...

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 14:03:17

Florida.

Just, all of Florida. It's full of idiots and the weather here is the worst in the country. Don't believe what you see on TV, this ain't no "Sunshine State". Every day is cloudy and most cities are full of either pollution or cigarette/pot smoke.

The drivers here are fucking awful (although I hear they're worse in California, but Florida is a close second).

If you're coming down here for vacation, just stick to Miami or Orlando. Only go to Tampa for the tourist attractions.

However, there is a few things good about this place. The Florida-exclusive internet/cable providers, Brighthouse Networks, has amazing internet. Up to 90 mbps. However, the cable is below average and the customer service is terrible.

Adventure Island and Disney World are nice, though.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Some famous person. Probably Eddie Murphy.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 14:09:01

Mississippi.

Literally all of the people who I have talked to who have said they have been to Mississippi or have/had family in Mississippi have said that it is a terrible place. Terribly racist, at the very least.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 15:17:13

The sky.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 15:24:11

Iraq and Syria - Free beheadings.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 15:40:03

At 11/18/14 03:17 PM, Immortal19 wrote: The sky.

I hear that other place below the ground's even worse. O_o

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2014-11-18 16:27:55

At 11/18/14 02:09 PM, CiviLies wrote: Mississippi.

Can confirm; my father was born in Jackson, Mississippi and he described the place as "psychically dead." He had returned to his hometown after his time in the Air Force, and said it was like that whole city had bad juju. He had the worst luck living there, couldn't get motivated to pursue any goals, and wound up finding himself in the company of drunks...DUI's were his legacy in that place. The moment he left that city, his life improved.

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 06:05:21

I have since heard the Wyoming and Ohio are terrible states from people that have lived there.

Kris Wilson of Cyanide & Happiness was from Wyoming and "escaped"

Shawn Coss, from Ohio, loathes the place.

Additionally, I've visited Lubbock Tx and have confirmed from several friends why they left the Texas Tech city. Went there for a wedding and was ate the fuck up by mosquitos at the outdoor venue, lmao. At least they have a Fazolis.

I'm aware of this necrobumping, but this is a topic I think anyone more recent could add to. Plus I'm more prone to frown upon bumping threads that are either 10 years old or made by inactive OP's.

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 07:28:47

Uh. Hmm. Anywhere in North Korea. Basically anywhere in China.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 07:45:29

Gary, Indiana.

It's a shit hole and a half.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 08:07:03

At 8/23/19 07:45 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Gary, Indiana.

I have been told that South Carolina is a shithole. How true is that?

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 08:08:01

At 8/23/19 07:28 AM, FelixZophar wrote: Uh. Hmm. Anywhere in North Korea. Basically anywhere in China.

You are quite right. China is a polluted country.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 09:11:17

At 8/23/19 08:07 AM, Sobolev wrote:
At 8/23/19 07:45 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: Gary, Indiana.

I have been told that South Carolina is a shithole. How true is that?

Not very, especially when the bar has been set at the level of Gary.

Likely just the opinion of someone who has never been and is condescending and angry for political reasons.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 09:26:17

At 8/23/19 08:08 AM, Sobolev wrote:
At 8/23/19 07:28 AM, FelixZophar wrote: Uh. Hmm. Anywhere in North Korea. Basically anywhere in China.
You are quite right. China is a polluted country.

And it’s communist.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 09:27:26

At 11/17/14 03:32 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: I've heard some weird stuff about this half decayed mansion in Innsmouth.

From the stuff I've heard it can't be true, but I often wonder about it.

Geez why are you referencing lovecraft? the guy was afraid of Air-Conditioning and a racist, pretentious fool.

You're such a loser.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 09:32:32

There's a McDonalds called "The Murder Mac" because of people getting shot there so often.

They should sell t-shirts.

*xin laugh*

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 09:38:23

I was warned about Newgrounds, but I like to live life on the edge.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 10:27:10

People have always warned me about Oakland, Baltimore, Philly, and New York, but I've had nothing, but mostly good experiences in those places.

I did have a car window broken in and bag stolen from Oakland, but other than that I had never felt unsafe in any of those locations.

Not saying I'd walk down a back alley in the middle of the night by myself anywhere, but I've enjoyed the nightlife in all of those places more than once.

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 10:34:44

I'm from Memphis.

AMA

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Places You've Been Warned About... 2019-08-23 13:09:20

At 8/23/19 10:34 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: I'm from Memphis.

AMA

1- Is the pollination so great that it completely cakes vehicles in a sheet of pollination, or am I thinking of a different state?

2- Does the country scene disproportionately outweigh all other music genres what with their notoriety for their style of country?

3- Memphis seems pretty country. People assume Dallas is country because Texas is country but it's really not. Even still, there's a fuckload of pickup trucks. What are the top 3 most common kinds of vehicles you see on the road?

4- Where else have you lived besides Memphis, and are they better or worse comparatively?

BBS Signature