00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch

745 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-07 16:19:48

So, it's finally happening, Blizzard has unveiled their first new IP in 17 years. And it's in the form of what appears to be a class based multiplayer shooter.

And being a sucker for class based multiplayer shooters, I can say I'm quite excited to try it. Already signed up for beta.

Linkage

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-07 20:14:41

Resembles TF2 way too much. That being said, it still does look like fun, I'd be willing to give it a try.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-07 20:33:35

This is the kind of shooter I've wanted for years! Hope this comes to consoles.

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 00:15:16

Have to see where it will be released and when.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 11/7/14 08:14 PM, darkjam wrote: Resembles TF2 way too much. That being said, it still does look like fun, I'd be willing to give it a try.

How many generic army-based shooters do the same exact thing with a few slight differences? It's nice to see another game with its own twist on the TF2 formula. With how popular TF2 has remained and how active its economy has been I'm amazed more games haven't tried to ape what valve has done with it. Overwatch looks like it brings a lot of cool ideas to the table and I'm and if it's a colorful game with distinctive cartoonish characters just because that's what TF2 does, then good, more games should be like that anyway.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 02:32:14

At 11/8/14 02:15 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 11/7/14 08:14 PM, darkjam wrote: Resembles TF2 way too much. That being said, it still does look like fun, I'd be willing to give it a try.
How many generic army-based shooters do the same exact thing with a few slight differences? It's nice to see another game with its own twist on the TF2 formula. With how popular TF2 has remained and how active its economy has been I'm amazed more games haven't tried to ape what valve has done with it. Overwatch looks like it brings a lot of cool ideas to the table and I'm and if it's a colorful game with distinctive cartoonish characters just because that's what TF2 does, then good, more games should be like that anyway.

I'm actually quite fascinated by the mechanic that Tracer seems to use, like a teleport and rewind. That's a really interesting mechanic IMO, and not something you see in multiplayer games, like... ever.

I don't necessarily think the similarities to TF2 are a bad thing. I just hope that Blizzard is planning on doing things to set it apart instead of just making it basically a copy paste of TF2. Which I'm sure they will. This is Blizzard we're talking about, they've been around a day or two, and aside from their track record with WoW, they are very committed to quality games and do seem to listen to community feedback.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to trying this.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 02:43:51

Did they really have to give all the characters cheesy one-liners for the trailer? I feel like I'm watching some cliché lat 90's action movie trailer...

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 02:45:13

At 11/8/14 02:43 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Did they really have to give all the characters cheesy one-liners for the trailer? I feel like I'm watching some cliché lat 90's action movie trailer...

Those "cheesy one-liners" are actually tributes to their previous games. All of those lines are lines you can hear units saying in other Blizzard games.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 02:46:09

The game looks like a mix of Unreal Tournament and Team Fortress 2.

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 08:10:42

Looks pretty cool, I'm sure Blizzard will make this in to one interesting game. I signed up for the beta anyway

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 13:16:14

At 11/8/14 02:32 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: aside from their track record with WoW, they are very committed to quality games and do seem to listen to community feedback.

What's wrong with their track record with WoW?

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 18:19:09

At 11/8/14 01:16 PM, darkjam wrote:
At 11/8/14 02:32 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: aside from their track record with WoW, they are very committed to quality games and do seem to listen to community feedback.
What's wrong with their track record with WoW?

I'm not going into why I hate what WoW has become here, because it's quite off topic. It's a personal opinion I have regarding Blizzard's integrity and commitment to their players, involves the inclusion of Activision's hands being dipped in, and what effects it has had on the MMORPG genre.

But that's for another discussion. I could write a novel about why I hate what WoW has become.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-08 21:38:54

At 11/7/14 04:19 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: So, it's finally happening, Blizzard has unveiled their first new IP in 17 years. And it's in the form of what appears to be a class based multiplayer shooter.

And being a sucker for class based multiplayer shooters, I can say I'm quite excited to try it. Already signed up for beta.

Linkage

Looks enjoyable for sure, was a bit skeptical at first when people just whined about it being a TF2 clone but clearly it actually looks good and enjoyable and aside from the engineer guy isn't that similar. People probably just saw making turrets and went "OMG TF2 copy fuck you!!!"

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-14 20:46:32

At 11/8/14 09:38 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Looks enjoyable for sure, was a bit skeptical at first when people just whined about it being a TF2 clone but clearly it actually looks good and enjoyable and aside from the engineer guy isn't that similar. People probably just saw making turrets and went "OMG TF2 copy fuck you!!!"

I'm not necessarily bashing on the game for it being like TF2, but you can definitely tell where they got their inspiration from.

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-14 21:56:23

At 11/8/14 02:43 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Did they really have to give all the characters cheesy one-liners for the trailer? I feel like I'm watching some cliché lat 90's action movie trailer...

Tell me about it. I know this is incredibly biased, but I couldn't even get past 90 seconds into the cinematic trailer, because it was so cringe-worthy that it killed all of my interest in looking into the game any further.

BBS Signature

Response to Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch 2014-11-14 23:13:26

yeah, but it also looks different enough that it's piqued my interest

plus the fact that there are playable female characters doesn't hurt it.