00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Search Test - Feedback Plz!

19,997 Views | 151 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 16:38:16

Efficient, but ugly.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 16:59:19

Can you please go back to the old search! I have to be more specific about what I want now. THE END TIMES HAVE COME!

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:01:52

I didn't really like it that much. it was better how it was.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:03:14

No, this isn't a good option because I need to see what the preview is. Not just text.. cause I can easily run into a trap if I don't see a Preview.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:07:04

The new search is awesome. I finally found the game John Dick (voice of Serious Sam) voiceacted in. Thanks Tom.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:11:38

It needs to have options for single categories; movies, games, forum threads, that kind of stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:25:38

I strongly dislike going through google, your previous internal search function was much better, given how it would allow searching through the various categories on newgrounds. Using google doesn't allow this and you're bombarded with searches throughout the entirety of newgrounds in an unorganized fasion, expecially whenever you're looking for something you only vaguely remember.

You also lose the ability to see who made/remixed the work, unless its stated within the first few words by the artist.

This is quite frustrating.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:26:53

At 9/18/14 05:25 PM, Rawrain wrote: I strongly dislike going through google, your previous internal search function was much better, given how it would allow searching through the various categories on newgrounds. Using google doesn't allow this and you're bombarded with searches throughout the entirety of newgrounds in an unorganized fasion, expecially whenever you're looking for something you only vaguely remember.

We'll probably switch back tomorrow and keep exploring options.

Would be great to have a sitewide search as the default response, but with category toggles at the top of the results page, for movies / games / music / art / users / forums.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:28:24

Well, I've tried using the new search bar.

It sucks.

I know, it may not be a complete and final version of the new NG search system (or, should i say, bland Google.com redirection link, as it is now), but so far, I personally would prefer the old NG search bar.
As stated above, the bleach-white Google design doesn't correspond with the NG design very well. Not to mention the very fact of search engine replacement kinda bothers me. So far, the results look like i may as well just use Google...

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:33:16

http://www.newgrounds.com**/search/title*&search=Search!/1

** the category

* Name of the thing you're searching can have spaces

For those wanting to work around the google till it's fixed up, glad you kept the original search function in there lol...

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:33:18

At 9/18/14 05:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would be great to have a sitewide search as the default response, but with category toggles at the top of the results page, : for movies / games / music / art / users / forums.

I don't know what the options are for open source search engines, but I'd like to see something like that be implemented.

NG Search Test - Feedback Plz!

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:45:38

At 9/18/14 05:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/18/14 05:25 PM, Rawrain wrote: I strongly dislike going through google, your previous internal search function was much better, given how it would allow searching through the various categories on newgrounds. Using google doesn't allow this and you're bombarded with searches throughout the entirety of newgrounds in an unorganized fasion, expecially whenever you're looking for something you only vaguely remember.
We'll probably switch back tomorrow and keep exploring options.

Would be great to have a sitewide search as the default response, but with category toggles at the top of the results page, for movies / games / music / art / users / forums.

Oh thank God, everything was much easier when I could just select the category I wanted and just searched something and got immediate results.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:46:11

Currently, I am not very happy with the results I am getting from the Google search engine. It doesn't in any way give me the results I am looking for. When I search for something, I want a list of items that match that input. When I search through Google, it brings up links to NewGrounds for items with that in their tags, but I am completely unable to get anything by title. Also, I cant search specifically by department. I searched for a remix in audio using a keyword, and the first 5 results were links to the movie section of the site. As is, I don't like the Google based searching. If it can be tweaked, I could see myself adapting to it, but I would highly prefer the standard NewGrounds search. I hope my opinion was helpful, and I wish you the best of decisions on this endeavor.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:51:08

To be blunt, I absolutely hate it. If I wanted to do a Google search I'd do a Google search but that is most definitely not what I want to do.

This is more of a pain to actually find anything you'd want because you can't limit it to Games/Movies/etc... as you could before. Plus, as has been said earlier, there's no way to know what all Google may be removing from the search results for bogus reasons which are perfectly valid Newgrounds content and etc...

If you are paying Google for any of this, I really think you are getting ripped off big time! Please change it back to the way it was before. It is significantly more cumbersome to search through material.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:55:50

At 9/18/14 12:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:

So many things to be said about so many great flash games (K.O.L.M.2!).
But this is one of the most ultimate games ever to be released on newgrounds:

I signed up to NG because of it!
LOVE!

BSEfcukde

PS: See what I did there with my name (wink, wink)? Get it? Get it?? ...Oh boy, it's time to shut down the computer when you're acting like a 10-year old...

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 17:58:33

With the power of D O U B L E P O S T on my hands I say : OFF with head with this gOOgle search monster!!
Oldschool NG search engine for life!

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:00:54

At 9/18/14 12:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Another option would be to set up a completely new search system on NG

This would be for the best. What point is there in giving me a search bar if it literally just takes me to a Google search? I also dislike the fact that because you're currently using the Google search engine that the search filter for Author/Content is gone, being able to narrow down my search using Movie/Game/Art/Audio/Forum/Author filters is a must.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:06:27

Rather undecided about this, I trie3d the search, and it opened into a google window no problem, however, all the descriptions appeared to be the same. I kept seeing the phrase, disable ads here, and tired of waiting. Occasionally a description of the game would show. transition from the search back into Newgrounds was flawless, although I only tried a couple of times.

Alex

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:08:25

I know it's better at searching the BBS than the old search. But it's not quite as accurate at searching for movies and games as the old one.

I rather the old (BBS) search be upgraded to find short words and exact phrases; just like Google.

Plus I'm not comfortable with Google tracking everything I search on NG.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:12:44

At 9/18/14 06:08 PM, Painbringer wrote: Plus I'm not comfortable with Google tracking everything I search on NG.

Good point, NG doesn't record your search history but Google likely does.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:18:39

The original search process was just fine, I see no need to change it

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:19:21

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:newgrounds.com+error%201009

I speak for all of Flash Forum's regs when I say this is the most useful future update.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:23:19

i'm getting 404 errors now when i search, wtf

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:24:02

At 9/18/14 12:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're running a test for the next few days where out internal search has been replaced by a Google site search of Newgrounds. Try searching for some things you'd like to find on NG and let me know if you get the results you are looking for and if you prefer this to our regular search!

NOOOOO! I don't like it, it's realy stupid to not be able to filter the search by category. If I'm searching for a game/movie/image, the older search is so much better.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:37:50

What was wrong with the old search function? This one just makes it more annoying to find most things, and I'd really rather not go through Google when I know what I'm looking for is on your site.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:45:14

At 9/18/14 06:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/18/14 06:08 PM, Painbringer wrote: Plus I'm not comfortable with Google tracking everything I search on NG.
Good point, NG doesn't record your search history but Google likely does.

Same here, though there's no harm in offering a Google solution (resend to Google button) on the results page, if the new NG search results doesn't float his/her boat. Google has a habit of infesting browsers, and tracking users, I likely wouldn't use it.

C'mon man, it's the 21st century, there's gotta be a decent, off-the-shelf solution for our pokey lil website!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 18:49:31

Not being able to search for topics back in 2006/2007 was a major factor in why I initially left the site to be honest. I wasn't able to find the search button back then, and since I was mostly limited to the series/collections pages and the Portal, I wasn't really that happy.

This change works fine for me, and it does actually allow me to search for topics (considering I like to search by subject matter, since memorizing names is effort). Ergo, since it actually works, I like it a lot.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 19:04:29

honestly preffer the NG search over the google one. aside from the obvious "background goes from the NG one to the google bleach white one" theres also the category tabs that aren't present with the google search thing. as a possible update to the usual search perhaps add subcategory tabs within it IE I search for a song that I know is in the DnB subcategory so I search the song name then pull up a little dropdown menu on the search page that lets me filter it to specific subcategories and subsubcategories (subcategories within subcategories just incase that's confusing for anyone)

sidenote: im not much of a forum goer but I just wanted to say thanks for working so hard to make newgrounds a better place all the time guys and also thanks for valuing our opinions instead of just doing whatever and telling people to like it or gtfo like some other sites. (a lot of them actualy)

what signature? i see no signature here.

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 19:16:58

By the way, I like how everyone who's currently complaining approved of shit like this, this and this.

This is what being contemporary is like, remember, you supported changes just like this. Prepare for the hipster era!

Response to NG Search Test - Feedback Plz! 2014-09-18 19:19:52

Well, the search function seems to work fine, but I dont like how it redirects me away from newgrounds, just to have me go right back to newgrounds. I liked the old search function better, where the games/movies would just instantly show up. Can I ask why you guys are trying this out?