00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help me chose a theme

429 Views | 9 Replies

Help me chose a theme 2014-09-14 12:16:28

Hello. I'm looking to make a new project, a fighting game, and can't decide which theme to chose.
I'm currently choosing between:
-Toys Setting
-Fantasy Setting
-Futurama (like the show)
If you have a new idea, feel free to suggest, or just tell me which one of these three do you think is better?

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-14 12:43:26

At 9/14/14 12:16 PM, Wisakejak wrote: Hello. I'm looking to make a new project, a fighting game, and can't decide which theme to chose.
I'm currently choosing between:
-Toys Setting
-Fantasy Setting
If you have a new idea, feel free to suggest, or just tell me which one of these three do you think is better?

Fantasy setting. It sounds most interesting, and you could probably do the most with it.

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-14 13:21:51

What about a fantasy/future filled with steampunk knights, dragons, and wizards?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-14 19:11:48

Please make the theme about gays and heteros. Im aiming to piss off a certain clown that I know.

"who are you to decide what is right and wrong? where do you draw that line?"

BBS Signature

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-14 21:03:34

At 9/14/14 12:16 PM, Wisakejak wrote: Hello. I'm looking to make a new project, a fighting game, and can't decide which theme to chose.

Why not do all three? I would love some kind of weird patchwork thing like Twisted Metal or Kingdom Hearts, where supernatural forces draw a bunch of very different characters together. It would be pretty dope having a bunch of creepy possessed macabre toys fighting angels and demons with Bender making a random cameo.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-15 01:09:05

Transexual BDSM succubus hentai

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-15 07:18:13

How about a DooM theme? A fighting game with all the foes from that franchise... would be awesome! :D

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-15 07:47:52

At 9/14/14 12:16 PM, Wisakejak wrote:
-Toys Setting
-Fantasy Setting

Everyone is going to project their ideas into the suggestion bar...so you're going to get a mish-mash of a bunch of different shit that are wildly different from one another.

Take a step back for a second...what would YOU like to see in a fighting game?
With that in mind...has it been done before? Like, has it been done TO DEATH?...if so, what could you do to make it different?

If it hasn't been done before, then you need to jump on that shit and DO IT before it becomes a million dollar kickstarter project that's buttfucking the indie game scene.

I look at the idea of a Toy Fighting game with indifference, if nothing else but for the reason that the first word that comes to mind is "childish." I think of Pixar's Toy Story, I see bright and colorful things....

...but if done with a creativity and imagination, you could have a really cool idea on your hands...

...Like, "Ohh, I'm going to make a fighting game with clay animation figures." and just the idea sounds laughable...but it happened and it was a really popular game back in the day. Clay fighters. It kinda came out of left field and it didn't even do anything horribly new or innovative with fighting games, but it left a memorable impression because of its STYLE.

So you gotta think about your presentation... set the tone; WHO IS YOUR AUDIENCE? Is that target demographic the EXCLUSIVE target audience you're aiming for, or will it be accessible to a wide range of ages and personal tastes?

The Futurama game idea, fuck that, be original. Even with the Fantasy fighting game, just make sure you're not straight up lifting from Tolkien or Warhammer/Warcraft.

Be creative. Be original. Be imaginative. Make it yours!

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-15 07:58:10

At 9/15/14 01:09 AM, koopahermit wrote: Transexual BDSM succubus hentai

Actually this would probably give you a high rating, OP.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Help me chose a theme 2014-09-15 08:01:39

And for the record, "One day my toys came to life, and they did a thing" is one of the laziest, entry-level "my first story" premises around...but with a little imagination and creativity, you can reinvent the premise by making it tongue-in-cheek and funny and charming, or dark and gritty with ominous undertones like "THEY ARE THE SPIRITS OF THE GOLEM, ENCHANTED WITH THE FLOPPIDOOK OF ARCHEON, CAST OUT BY THE SORCERESS HURK MADURK." I don't know.

Like, keep in mind that the whole Toys Coming to Life and Beating the Shit Out of Each Other thing has been done. Without a word of dialogue, that's actually the premise for the very first Super Smash Bros 64...in the intro, they're trophies in a toy chest. Master Hand grants them life, and eh, they fight. No real motivation other than they're possessed I guess. You beat Master Hand as a boss, and they fall into the abyss, turn back into a Trophy/Toy, and sit there illuminated by a spotlight to capitalize on their lonely lifelessness.

No effort in story-telling, no dialogue, it had bullshit for character motivation, and NO ONE CARED. It was a best selling game that's spawned sequels that were more popular than the last.

Get creative with it. Make it yours!

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature