00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Only the Shadow (Game)

582 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Only the Shadow (Game) 2014-08-13 23:54:47

This post was originally written in the 'Writing' forum, but it seems more appropriate to put it here. If any moderators stumbles across this one or the other, I demand the thread in the Writing forum is deleted over this one. Thanks!

Now for the copy and paste...

----
"Only the Shadow" will become an interactive story and collectible crystal game (CCG; see what I did there?) designed to promote meditation with crystals. This game is not a tutorial for meditation, it simply mimics the real-life properties of most known crystals and puts them into video game form. In addition, there will be four elements the player chooses (Fire, Earth, Water and Air) all with corresponding zodiac signs. Each element has global passive effects that a zodiac sign will benefit from, and each zodiac sign has its own crystal affinities as well as starting crystals (Birthstones).

The combat mechanics is designed to promote the idea that crystals have certain properties that you can use to its advantage during meditation. This is what mostly happens in this game.

You will choose a room or place to meditate, choose a crystal to meditate with (a secondary crystal's passive properties may also be used in conjunction with your primary crystal), and then use the crystal's abilities to improve concentration and positive energy while also thwarting negative energy. The aim of the video game is to gain as much score as possible within a given set of turns (the number of turns until the end of the battle) which can then be spent on player perks. Player's will also earn experience and crystal dust which can be used to collect more crystals.

Higher experience and higher your level will not only gain access to new rooms or places to meditate, but also unlocks new things in the zodiac sign's personal story. Each zodiac sign will have its own personal story which is told throughout the player's experience. Details on these can be found a little later.

Why am I saying all this? Because this is where you - the writers - can join in and show your potential. I want this game to be community-based, written by both learning and professional writers here on Newgrounds. A few things to point out:

1. This game is designed to allow writers of WNG, as well as writers elsewhere, to write stories based on a zodiac sign of their choice. This is specifically designed to give writers of WNG to come together to write pieces for this game, learn new writing tactics and more.

2. If you are a JavaScript programmer and/or have knowledge with jQuery, HTML and CSS, then that is a plus! If you want to contribute scripts for this game, you will need to give me a PM and I will link you to an eventual Github page where you will be able to contribute. Understanding Twine is a bonus, as that is the environment this interactive story will be written in.

3. If you are an Artist, even better! You will not only be given a licence to provide your artwork on NG, but you will be given the exclusive licence to sell that work on if you wish.

4. If you are a Music Producer, even better again! The same licencing terms are attached to this as it is for Artists!

Every contributor will be given a reserve of monetary gain depending on the amount you contribute.

Writers - For every A4 sized page of writing (no paragraphs and default line spacing in MS Word), you will reserve $10. If your work overlaps but does not entirely cover one A4 sized page, the gain is dependent on whether or not the content meets the half way point on the overlapping page. If the content of writing only overlaps by several lines, the overlapping page is not counted. Your work will also be carefully reviewed to ensure quality over quantity.

As a writer, you should focus your efforts on learning new tricks and contributing to the story. The monetary reward at the end is simply a "Thank You" for contributing to the project and taking the time and effort to do so. If you are writing total gibberish - writing that does not meet the guidelines for story writing (these guidelines will be written in an external document) - then you probably won't get any monetary rewards.

JavaScript or HTML/CSS Code - This is difficult to calculate due to the nature of programming, so what I will do is setup a document that describes all the behaviours and events within the game to be programmed in. These will be in the form of Issues on Github eventually. You will need to make yourself the contributor for that Issue and then work on that Issue. For each issue you complete, you will reserve $20, regardless of the amount of code there is. However, the code must be efficient AND working!

If your code does not work, the Issue will be flagged under "Bugs or Known Issues" which you will need to fix. You're the one writing the code, so you should know how to fix it. If you doubt your ability to code, simply don't bother. I will not tolerate slackers, especially when it comes to coding. Programming is high-skill job, hence the higher reserve amount, but that also means I want high-skilled workers willing to put an effort to the programming.

Artist - Also fairly difficult to calculate, but certainly not as difficult as coding. If you are drawing small pictures such as thumbnails, icons or the likes for things like Crystal Icons, the Title, etc. then you will reserve $15 for every three pieces of this.

If you draw large images, particularly images for the background of sizes 848x480 or higher (for full-sized website), you will reserve $15 for one piece.

Again, just like the rest of the guidelines, put in effort and you will be rewarded. At the same time, you will be met by constructive feedback (hopefully) so that you can improve on your work! As much as I would like to say otherwise, there has to be a specific style of art work that you are familiar working with - serious cartoon-style - as to ensure the consistency of the art throughout the game. Inconsistent art styles will only put people off, which is not what I want.

Finally, music - The most basic calculation: For every 1 minute of music you contribute (loop or not), you will reserve $15.

These values are NOT final and may change. I will not be reserving myself anything as I will be gaining most of the ad revenue, but money is NOT the focus of this game.

That's right - you heard me. MONEY IS NOT THE FOCUS OF THIS GAME.

Three words:

1. Contribution - Allowing people around the community of NG to contribute to one project and learn from others how to improve on their own work.
2. Learn - The ability to learn through a collaborative work is one of the best opportunities to have and it makes us all feel good when we all contribute to make an excellent video game that everyone enjoys playing.
3. Fun - Is it about money? Not necessarily; money is simply a reward for hard work. Is it about fun? Of course it is! Having fun and enjoying what you love doing while also doing the above is exactly what makes a collaborative work so good. It is the best feeling to have.

So... Can you contribute? Are you willing to learn? And do you want to have fun?

If you meet those three simple guidelines, don't hesitate to ask for further details or PM me if you are interested in joining.
A plan is yet to be written, but the basic concepts are drawn out in my head. I will also post a Blog on my personal NG profile where you will find all the contributing artists of all areas of the game sooner or later. Hopefully, I will get 2 for each role. Spread the news, let people know. The more people that know, and the more people that get involved, the more fun we will have!

This morning, I will start writing the basic guidelines and the plan for the video game, as well as setting up the Github page!

Thank you all for your feedback and questions in advance!

Ignorance will become the death of us.

BBS Signature

Response to Only the Shadow (Game) 2014-08-15 10:35:34

I don't feel like the idea behind your game is descript enough, all i gained of knowledge about your games concept is that it's about meditating with crystals in rooms?, somehow fighting others with those said crystals and unlocking story paths connected to Zodiac starsigns? I'm not sure if it's just me but personally i don't think there is enough there to make people want to join and help you make it, if i'm honest with you i found the whole idea a bit boring, some people may not though that's just my opinion.

You should draw out images however bad or good at drawing you are so that people can actually picture what you're trying to achieve though.

I feel slightly hollow inside.

Response to Only the Shadow (Game) 2014-08-16 11:10:22

Because I'm a horrible person and I am unable to stick to one given project at any given time, I have decided to discontinue this project. I don't know why I bother sometimes...

This anxiety needs to go.

Ignorance will become the death of us.

BBS Signature

Response to Only the Shadow (Game) 2014-08-18 12:04:00

If you ever want to jump back into this man, let me know. I'm down to write some music for ya. (and provide game feedback during builds)

At 8/16/14 11:10 AM, brutalexcess wrote: Because I'm a horrible person and I am unable to stick to one given project at any given time, I have decided to discontinue this project. I don't know why I bother sometimes...

This anxiety needs to go.

Music Composer & Sound Designer

Website | BandCamp

SoundCloud | YouTube

Response to Only the Shadow (Game) 2014-08-21 05:51:34

So... Can you contribute? Are you willing to learn? And do you want to have fun?

If you will ever restart this project, I have a collection of Trance, Ambient and Chillout songs. I'll even write new ones if necessary :)