00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4ng3lzh4untm3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Characters

797 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Characters 2014-08-10 14:23:32

Anyone will help me to build characters? It's kind of important because, I want their discription to resemble their writing style.

Beauty to Adorn, Wisdom to Contrive, Strength to support 7/4.6

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-10 21:49:29

I'm a little lost on exactly what you're looking for. Are these characters that already exist (i.e. as illustrations), and you want to build upon them? And by "their descriptions matching their writing style", do you mean you want to write a story from each character's perspective and speak as they would?

Response to Characters 2014-08-11 13:09:43

At 8/10/14 09:49 PM, LDAF wrote: I'm a little lost on exactly what you're looking for. Are these characters that already exist (i.e. as illustrations), and you want to build upon them? And by "their descriptions matching their writing style", do you mean you want to write a story from each character's perspective and speak as they would?

write a story from each character's perspective and speak as they would

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-11 18:40:14

you mean a first person perspective? First of all: will that ruin surprises or plot twists?

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-11 18:43:32

At 8/11/14 06:40 PM, Kofra wrote: you mean a first person perspective? First of all: will that ruin surprises or plot twists?

I figure a group of friends that have been through some shit together could tell a story without doing so.

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-12 17:32:51

I figure a group of friends that have been through some shit together could tell a story without doing so.

Ok. You need at least a very basic cahracters idea. What kind of things they would do in the same situtation? Then we can begin to evolve each one's background.

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-12 17:49:12

At 8/12/14 05:32 PM, Kofra wrote:
Ok. You need at least a very basic cahracters idea. What kind of things they would do in the same situtation? Then we can begin to evolve each one's background.

Deign- Half Human-Son of "fallen angel"
Benjamin- Human-Son of the right hand
Angel- Human- Acquaintance of Benjamin, and Deign later

Things I need to learn:
Female attributes-perception
Half God Perception

I just want to see various people write things about themselves and portray their perceptions without holding back.
I have a fairly intricate conception; and I don't want to go further into detail about the plot. I want this book to be overflowing with assisted discovery and familiarity/connection, and I don't think I can provide that soley. I just don't want people trampling my heart, you know

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-12 18:20:21

Laymantations
A betrayal, a conspiracy, and an immortal love that will shake the sands of time themselves!
Two soulmates dance within a revolutionary web of deceit, oppression, and jealousy while the mortal world hangs in the balance.
War, revolution, slavery, manipulation, and extortion, all entangled within the shadows of extraordinary deities battling not just for power; but, honor! and last but not least, FUN!
Having found that Benjamin and Angel are soul mate's, speaking with a being of a higher order
Deign has an epiphany. ("he must have Benjamins soul")
And from this concept, the blessed curse was spawned.
The stakes were set and the souls were on the line, except, Benjamin never even saw the flyer

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-14 19:29:23

At 8/12/14 05:49 PM, uhnomal3 wrote:
At 8/12/14 05:32 PM, Kofra wrote:
I just want to see various people write things about themselves and portray their perceptions without holding back.
I have a fairly intricate conception; and I don't want to go further into detail about the plot. I want this book to be overflowing with assisted discovery and familiarity/connection, and I don't think I can provide that soley.

From what you're saying here, I think the following points could help:

i) Actions speak louder than words - a group of friends who party together as if there was no tomorrow show a great spirit of togetherness/ extreme camaraderie/ connection. On the other hand, a group of friends who meet occasionally, say they have to have a party sometime or the other, and never party afterwards, show a lesser degree of friendliness - this may even hint at their past (maybe their past is not all rosy) and character (some individual who promises a lot but acts very little, etc).

ii) Each character has a voice that no other can hear, only anticipate or guess - giving each character an external manner of speech (like starting most sentences with "Now look here," or "Well," and so on) is all well and good, but it doesn't connect the reader to the character. The reader gets to know the character, but not as well as the other characters involved. Each character can also be given an internal voice, with it's own style (but this doesn't mean free internal monologue-usage - it just means throwing in the odd thought or two, and this shows a lot about character as well).

I have a question, though- when you say familiarity, is it between characters or between character and reader?

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-14 20:32:08

On the other hand, a group of friends who meet occasionally, say they have to have a party sometime or the other, and never party afterwards, show a lesser degree of friendliness - this may even hint at their past (maybe their past is not all rosy) and character (some individual who promises a lot but acts very little, etc).

Circumstances- could create a subconcious distrust, which could lead to a blotchy disfunctional relationship. Unless, otherwise made it up . Or they just get brushed off
hm, ok, enough of that

I have a question, though- when you say familiarity, is it between characters or between character and reader?

Well, I want to juggle a few characters that the readers can feel a connection to.

I don't want to dump another half wit paperback; you know?
I want my work to be a master peice.
I want it to be educational; yet, still an inspiring fantasy
I suppose i'll try to write it after some psychology courses

Who knows

BBS Signature

Response to Characters 2014-08-17 00:09:59

So let's begin with the Half God perception. First, you need to establish how close the character is for being a god. That defines it's powers, duties and freedom. If the character is 95% human, it can't flee from the human problems. If it's 50%, the character doesn't need to obey any kind of human rules, far from thata, it can be the ruler.
You can define the characters as we do in RPG: alignments. Those alignments are a great way to comprehend the character's behavior over critical circumstances.
A hint for you: My mentor took 17 years to publish his second poetry book, and everybody said "why all that time?", and he answered: "all that wasted time, as you call it, I like to think it's the amount of virtue in my texts. You shouldn't care about the time, but the quality of the book."

BBS Signature