00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Losing your urge to game?

1,670 Views | 30 Replies

Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-07 21:04:59

So, I used to be into gaming. I mean, as much as the next guy, but as I'm getting older I really just don't care anymore. I enjoy playing indie games, and I usually blast through them really quickly. However when it comes to MMO's I don't find myself able or wanting to dedicate hours and hours to a game.

Like, I have ff8 on my PC and deep deep down I want to play it. I love that game, loved it since childhood and usually i'll just play through it non- stop, but I'm just not really that interested in any games outside of a few indie titles I'm waiting for.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-07 21:07:29

Well I just play older games, then I don't loose my urge.

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-07 21:13:16

At 8/7/14 09:07 PM, Wongoof wrote: Well I just play older games, then I don't loose my urge.

Yeah, maybe it's just because a lot of newer games just aren't appealing to me.

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-07 21:16:13

Eventually life comes along and gets you interested in something new, but someday the urge will return in full force.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-07 21:18:59

Sometimes, I feel less eager if I'm in the middle of the kind of game that has me pausing and looking shit up online and overthinking and whatnot. I'm in the middle of such a game right now, the Witcher 2. There are a few games like that on my shelves that I still haven't finished despite having them for a long time. I really gotta go back and finish some of them.

Also, this should probably be in the video game forum.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-07 21:23:39

You're in a rut. Try playing a game outside of your preferred niche. New games are kinda shit but if you don't find older games fun, you may want to pick up something new.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 00:22:31

I only play fighting games because:
-they're short
-they're complex and short
- i dont have to schedule my time around them.

i cant play any other genre nowadays because im so busy

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 00:23:53

At 8/8/14 12:22 AM, TheMajormel wrote: I only play fighting games because:
-they're short
-they're complex and short
- i dont have to schedule my time around them.

i cant play any other genre nowadays because im so busy

oh and i forgot to mention i lost intrests in playing games because i'd over-analyze how they work, I can't simply enjoy them anymore

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:11:59

play league of legends

you'll never see the light of day again

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:20:42

At 8/8/14 01:11 AM, Sequenced wrote: play league of legends

you'll never see the light of day again

Don't listen to him OP. Don't play league. You'll never be able to deny anything ever again.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:21:03

At 8/8/14 01:13 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 8/7/14 09:23 PM, Chdonga wrote: New games are kinda shit
Titanfall
Watchdogs

shit

Destiny

everyone has been saying how shit it is

Ryse: Sons of Rome

shit cinematic beat em up

Wolfenstein: The new order

pretty alright

Sniper Elite III

never touched it last one was gud though

GTA V

meh, it's okay felt like they were trying to fill quotas. still okay though

Dark Souls 2

pales to the previous entries

Halo: The master chief collection

thats not a new game

Evolve

intresting

Project Spark

intresting

Zoo Tycoon for next gen consoles

I can keep going if you want me to

guilty gear xrd
killer instinct
metal gear solid ground zeroes
MGSV: the phantom pains
splatoon

yo man your tastes are whack

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:31:23

At 8/8/14 01:26 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 8/8/14 01:21 AM, TheMajormel wrote:
Titanfall
Watchdogs
shit
Don't talk to be for the rest of your existence

alright not shit, it's boring

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:32:54

Titanfall
Watchdogs

Oh boy. Can't wait to pl...

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:37:59

At 8/8/14 01:32 AM, koopahermit wrote:
Titanfall
Watchdogs

stream monster over here gets it

but marvel 3 sucks 1 is way better

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:38:01

At 8/8/14 01:35 AM, Xenomit wrote: Most people who I've heard talking shit about titanfall have said it's call of duty with robots, which is proof enough that they haven't even seen 5 seconds of gameplay.

Calm your tits. I'm just waiting for Mahvel.

STEAM

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 01:39:34

At 8/8/14 01:37 AM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 8/8/14 01:32 AM, koopahermit wrote:
Titanfall
Watchdogs
stream monster over here gets it
but marvel 3 sucks 1 is way better

oh sorry for the double post, but i forgot to clarify that i dont think titanfall is shit. looks fun

whoops

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 08:31:02

Many and perhaps most newer games just aren't that good. True, you can probably find an occasional game you might like if you have the money and time to just go through tons and tons of them. I'm going to assume you don't though.

Stick with older games and older gen consoles. Much better games, overall. Worse graphics, but better games. More skill-based, just how I like them.

Good systems to look into: NES, SNES, GameBoy (original GameBoy that is), Sega Genesis, GameGear (Not very great but there's some decent games), N64, PlayStation, PlayStation 2. I've also heard DreamCast is nice but I've never played it.

If you want to go very far back, try the Atari 2600 or any of the Commodores. You want to absolutely stay away from Intellivision and Colecovision though.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 08:37:42

I'm certainly drifting out of the videogame hobby; the only thing I've properly been pouring time into this year is Dark Souls 2 because I really enjoy playing it and listening to music, and I haven't even finished it yet. I don't think I've beaten a game since GTA V.

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 09:45:09

As a suggestion, SLOWLY get back to the story lines and take your time reading the little blurbs about why ypu are about to shoot up the room ahead of you, read a book on similar style games and ethics, get into the production, the deaign, the stories of other gamers

A healthy gamer does not shut him self in and become self obsorbed, but rather give back to the community

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 10:05:07

I haven't played video games in a while.

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 14:47:11

A professor of mine warned that when you're building skills to get into a work place, to be careful what you get good at, because you'll be doing that a lot.

You nail the criteria to start working in Career A, and you're thinking this'll do great in closing the gap so that you get into Career B or at least Career C...but all of your time and experience goes into Career A...not a whole lot of leeway to ditch Career A because you're making sustainable income. Its eating up your time...you become dependant on that career...and next thing you know, you don't even have the time to start off, flat-footed with no experience in Careers B and C because you have a family and bills and obligations to sustain that are completely hinged on your work and reputation with Career A.

...and you can only get there in the first place with practice...networking...it takes a lot of hard work...

...and video games just eat up time. Games are what they are, and that's not WORK. Its not.

I don't give a shit about South Korean Starcraft athletes. Thats not a job.

Its growing up. Its becoming an adult...I've noticed that I have less and less and less time to set aside for vidja games. I bullshit around here a lot because this is a window I can minimize directly next to my work. Before when I would play hours on end every single day, multiple times a day. I can't do that anymore...If I got time to kill, I'll grind away at Battlefield or GTA every now and again...and I still have games that I WANT to play; I've never chipped away at Mass Effect, and I want to SO BAD.

...But I do like money. And I like learning and growing with experience in the field's of work I've been focusing on. I legitimately enjoy creating, too...so whats more important to me? Buying a several hundred-dollar gaming system with a game that almost costs a hundred bucks that I might play on occasion, or create something that'll last forever that looks cool, was fulfilling to make, AND can make me money?

The choice is obvious. Priorities, man.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 16:41:23

Whatever you do, don't listen to those who are blinded by nostalgia. Modern games are just as good, if not better than their older counterparts, and to try to say otherwise is essentially being disingenuous. I'm not saying ignore the older games, simply don't let nostalgia cloud your thinking the way it has others. (I won't name names)

That aside, I can't simply point to one thing that makes people lose to do anything. (including gaming) Like anything else, you generally go through peaks and valleys with gaming, but considering the huge amount of games that are available, there is always something new to play or even replay.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 17:07:20

At 8/7/14 09:23 PM, Chdonga wrote:
Titanfall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUHOqaC5_A

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 17:24:28

At 8/8/14 05:21 PM, Xenomit wrote:

I stopped watching when he compared titan vs. titan combat to rock'em sock'em robots, that and implying that the combat is just two people hiding behind a wall occasionally peaking out was all it took for me to see he had virtually no experience with the game at all.

You're pretty retarded if you just blindly listen to him, both of those things combined are so disgustingly inaccurate that it makes me sick.

you must be an xbox fanboy. angry joe is right. titanfall is terrible. its the worst game on xbox one.

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 17:25:41

At 8/8/14 05:24 PM, elitegamer11 wrote: you must be an xbox fanboy. angry joe is right. titanfall is terrible. its the worst game on xbox one.

dude you're a idiot

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 17:33:55

At 8/8/14 05:30 PM, Voltage wrote:
At 8/8/14 05:24 PM, elitegamer11 wrote: you must be an xbox fanboy. angry joe is right. titanfall is terrible. its the worst game on xbox one.
really? "worst game on xbox one?" you make it sound like there's any good games on xbox one

killer instinct

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 17:54:07

At 8/8/14 05:37 PM, Voltage wrote:
At 8/8/14 05:33 PM, TheMajormel wrote: killer instinct
lmao no mel killer instinct is not a good game for xbox one

people are still salty that double helix finally made a good game? You can tell they've been wanting to make a combat oriented game for a long ass time.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 18:40:47

I don't often agree with Xenomit, but what he just said was the truth. Most people who trash popular games (or anything for that matter) are generally the ones who don't play the game in the first place, and have preconceived notions on what it is, instead of judging it on it's own merits.

I've heard this way too many times here on the forums, and even on the outside. It's fucking ridiculous how people keep using petty excuses to not play games and treat it like some sort of cop-out. If you don't like a series/style/genre of games, then don't bother, the last thing we need in the gaming community is more politics and negativity.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-08 22:44:04

At 8/8/14 05:25 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
dude you're a idiot

An*

Response to Losing your urge to game? 2014-08-09 01:18:38

I have month long periods where I won't touch games, and then I'll have periods where I do nothing but game.

BBS Signature