00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

N0vasu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Parallax Controls?

1,740 Views | 31 Replies

Parallax Controls? 2014-07-11 11:09:38

Heya guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help, in finding the name of the technique/mechanic that allows you to control the Parallax effect AFTER the game has been published.

IE: http://madefirestudios.deviantart.com/art/Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Year-Two-Episode-14-466565993

Granted, I know the effect is called "Parallax".. but googling this doesn't seem to help. **I can't seem to find any tutorials on how to control the camera with a mouse, post render.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the technique or perhaps have a link to a tutorial... would ya?

Anywho.. thanks for taking the time to read this.
~ ReQ

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-11 11:27:26

What makes you think this technique is applied after publishing?

You need to move layers around, according to their fake "depth" or z position in 3D space. That's it.
The way you do it depends on the effect you want to achieve.

This shows that you cannot magically apply this effect to any game after it's published because a 2D game lacks the information of the 3D environment (what depth does each layer have, aka how much should it move?).

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-11 14:30:20

At 7/11/14 11:27 AM, milchreis wrote: What makes you think this technique is applied after publishing?

You need to move layers around, according to their fake "depth" or z position in 3D space. That's it.
The way you do it depends on the effect you want to achieve.

This shows that you cannot magically apply this effect to any game after it's published because a 2D game lacks the information of the 3D environment (what depth does each layer have, aka how much should it move?).

Hmm, I'm not sure you understand what I'm asking..
(I already know what a Parallax effect is and how it works with layers in movieclips BEFORE you render).

Simply put, I'm looking for either the name of the technique or the Actionscript code that'll allow me to "move the camera" (movieclips) based on mouse position. Which of course.. IS done post render. (as you can see in my reference).

This tech is apparently very common in Flash Sidescrollers and Platformers, despite how uncommon viable tutorials for those games are.

So far, the closes I've come to finding this technique is googling "Object mouse tracking".

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-11 15:00:11

At 7/11/14 02:30 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Simply put, I'm looking for either the name of the technique or the Actionscript code that'll allow me to "move the camera" (movieclips) based on mouse position. Which of course.. IS done post render. (as you can see in my reference).

That effect is not done post anything, there's code running that tells the screen what to do. It's a normal parallax, except it's done relative to the mouse's distance from the center of the screen.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-11 15:28:49

At 7/11/14 03:00 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/11/14 02:30 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Simply put, I'm looking for either the name of the technique or the Actionscript code that'll allow me to "move the camera" (movieclips) based on mouse position. Which of course.. IS done post render. (as you can see in my reference).
That effect is not done post anything, there's code running that tells the screen what to do. It's a normal parallax, except it's done relative to the mouse's distance from the center of the screen.

Interesting.. the only people that've replied to this topic, disagree with my wording yet still agree with the overall concept I present. Almost as if you didn't even look at the reference I posted in the OP (which would've made the context of my wording obvious).

IE: The coding allows you to "move" the camera POST render (illusion there of), thus why I stated it that way.

If you don't know the answer, that's fine.. but these sort of replies, are kind of odd.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-11 17:29:44

Just separate all you objects in to different MovieClips, then every frame offset them by the a multiple of the mouse's location. It's pretty simple stuff. Are you experienced with programming?

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-12 10:45:36

At 7/11/14 05:29 PM, MintPaw wrote: Just separate all you objects in to different MovieClips, then every frame offset them by the a multiple of the mouse's location. It's pretty simple stuff. Are you experienced with programming?

I've got a bit experience programing in AS3.

I designed and wrote this game back in February (picking up code here and there from tutorials online).
IE: http://requiemsvoid.deviantart.com/art/Wakfu-Dye-System-Prototype-435924919
**You can find my actual script here: http://sta.sh/02c2525v6qyf

Sadly, that was the last time I did anything remotely that complicated and in the months since then, my ability to read code has greatly diminished.

That being said, it seems that the "offset" I'd need for this to work revolves around the movieclips "chasing" (attracted to) my mouse.

IE: Here's what someone else on another forum suggested (but refused to go into greater detail on):
~ The center of the picture should be your registration point (0,0). Move images with MouseEvent.MOUSE_MOVE. Image coordinates should be a fraction of the Mouse's. Move "closer" images more.

So I guess, if I were to break down the technique into categories:
1. How do you "map" the movieclips to the mouse?
2. How do you prevent them from moving to far in any one direction?
3. What additional code would I need to prevent errors on that specific "frame" if I used a preloader and/or added more than one "page" to the comic via more frames?

As a side note, seeing as how difficult it is to find a tutorial on this topic/technique. I'll be using any help/code you provide in making my own tutorial so anyone on Deviantart / Newgrounds can easily mimic and learn his tech.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-12 16:57:24

At 7/11/14 03:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Interesting.. the only people that've replied to this topic, disagree with my wording yet still agree with the overall concept I present. Almost as if you didn't even look at the reference I posted in the OP (which would've made the context of my wording obvious).

IE: The coding allows you to "move" the camera POST render (illusion there of), thus why I stated it that way.

If you don't know the answer, that's fine.. but these sort of replies, are kind of odd.

No offense, but they understand what you want and you aren't understanding them. This may be because you don't have much experience with coding. if your only experience with coding, so far, is put together from tutorials and other snippets, how much could you know?

Try searching "parallax scrolling AS3". Parallax scrolling is the technique, so that should give you a decent start in finding what you need. I had to do something similar with this old game thing I made a few years ago. The background images moved according to the position of the v-cam. It was all AS2 and I've since lost the original file, so i don't even remember how to do this off hand.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 06:46:36

At 7/12/14 04:57 PM, Barzona wrote:
At 7/11/14 03:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Interesting.. the only people that've replied to this topic, disagree with my wording yet still agree with the overall concept I present. Almost as if you didn't even look at the reference I posted in the OP (which would've made the context of my wording obvious).

No offense, but they understand what you want and you aren't understanding them. This may be because you don't have much experience with coding. if your only experience with coding, so far, is put together from tutorials and other snippets, how much could you know?

Honestly, (no offense) this part of your response sums up the mentality I've been running across when dealing with coding forums in general.

IE: Elitist mentality via talking down to the questioner, rather than providing actual help on topic.

I perfectly understand what they're saying.. I even provided a reference to cite the effect I'm looking for Vs. just a simple parallax animation without any interactivity.

but again, Instead of people answering the questions or providing links to tutorials that could help, my request/questions are just brushed off and I'm told to "google it". Despite the fact I already have been and have even listed the problems I've come across while doing so.

It would be like me asking "I don't know how to format paragraphs or even edit the font in general, when writing a deviantart journal or reddit article.. even when I google "HTML formatting" nothing seems to work. Can someone tell me how to linebreak/bold/itc/underline/ect?"

Then nearly every reply either says:

"just google basic html formatting"
*(DA and Reddit don't use that)

or

"Look, we're not gonna write your paragraph for you.. go out and learn for yourself"
*(indeed, that's what I'm trying to do)

or

"who said you could format your journal or article?.. it's just some code you put in before you post it"
(um, wut?)

lol, anywho..

I just find it funny, how much effort people put into "non-answers" (when it comes to coding AS3, C++, ect).

This is one of the reasons I created my tutorial channel with short, straight and to the point lessons. If someone asks a complicated question, I write a detailed response back..

That being said, I do want to thank those that have attempted to help (yourself included Barzona) by giving me a phrase/label/title to look up and those that have PM'd me here and on my DA profile with links or suggestions.

Hopefully I'll have a complete tutorial on this topic by the middle-end of next week.

If anyone else wants to contribute to this by way of code (snippets w/descriptions) or useful/rare video links, please feel free to reply or PM me. If I use your stuff in my tutorial, I'll credit you in the finished lesson along with a link to your profile or gaming site.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 09:10:09

At 7/13/14 06:46 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote:

I think there's a simple misunderstanding here.

In technical programming terms, post-render effects are those that basically take a screenshot of the screen after everything was rendered, and apply some effect to it, such as shifting colors, lighting, etc..

It cannot change the constituents of the screen, because it's treated as a final image. That's what post-render effect means in programming.

Obviously, the parallax effect here moves the characters or layers of the background, then they are rendered in their correct positions.

This is really just semantics, but this is why people are telling you, it's not post render. I'm sure you mean something else when you say that.

This is what you want right? (I stole all the images from google)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/5b05b52bdbb0849ac2a655a7d354e5a6

The reason people haven't "explained" is because, it really is nothing more than what they said, moving all your movieclips relative to the mouse with different factors. They're not being elitists.

Regardless, here's the code so you can see for yourself (the .fla is like 10 mb because of the size of the images, though I can upload it if you want)

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME,Update)

var o1:Point = new Point(mc1.x,mc1.y);//get the initial locations of the movieclips
var o2:Point = new Point(mc2.x,mc2.y)
var o3:Point = new Point(mc3.x,mc3.y)

function Update(event:Event){
	mc1.x = o1.x + mouseX/20;//divided by the paralax factor
	mc1.y = o1.y + mouseY/20;

mc2.x = o2.x + mouseX/40;//divided by the paralax factor
	mc2.y = o2.y + mouseY/40;

mc3.x = o3.x + mouseX/60;//divided by the paralax factor
	mc3.y = o3.y + mouseY/60;
	}

mc1 is Mario, mc2 is Luigi and mc3 is the background.

I hope this was helpful. And please try giving people the benefit of doubt. Even if you know you're right, try asking them for clarification about their point, and I'm sure you'll find it useful, especially if they're experienced programmers.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 09:37:25

The reason why he thinks it's a "post-render effect" is because he's been hardcoding literally EVERYTHING. Look at his code for logical equal operator's sake:

http://sta.sh/02c2525v6qyf

That hardcoded monstrosity could be condensed into a couple of lines of code. You can't blame him for calling this a "post-render effect", he probably doesn't even know his computer can number crunch or he could evaluate and compare expressions. Not even a single loop, all hardcoded values, must've taken a LOT of time doing everything by hand.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 11:32:45

At 7/13/14 09:37 AM, slugrail wrote: The reason why he thinks it's a "post-render effect" is because he's been hardcoding literally EVERYTHING. Look at his code for logical equal operator's sake:

http://sta.sh/02c2525v6qyf

That hardcoded monstrosity could be condensed into a couple of lines of code. You can't blame him for calling this a "post-render effect", he probably doesn't even know his computer can number crunch or he could evaluate and compare expressions. Not even a single loop, all hardcoded values, must've taken a LOT of time doing everything by hand.

Hmm, I'm not sure how "hardcoding" relates to thinking it's a post render effect... o.O

**The only reason I said "AFTER the game has been published" (in my opening question) was to emphasize the point that I'm not looking to "bake in" (render) the animation and instead, I want it to be interactive (coded).

~ IE: I come from a 3D artist perspective, thus I figured other artists could easily understand what I meant (thus I didn't take into account programmer lingo).

Going back to your statement about my coding "issues"... Personally, I simply couldn't get any help from the flash communities when I was creating that game.

IE: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1360602#bbspost24990009_post_text

Here on Newgrounds, no one even posted a response.. and on other sites, I simply got told that "we're not gonna make your game for you, go out and learn for yourself" (no links to tutorials, no offers to critique, just got brushed off).

lol, perhaps if someone had taken the time to point me in the right direction and/or offered to critique my script then it would've of taken a week to make (copy/paste/templating ftw)?.. :D

At 7/13/14 09:10 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 7/13/14 06:46 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote:
This is what you want right? (I stole all the images from google)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/5b05b52bdbb0849ac2a655a7d354e5a6

The reason people haven't "explained" is because, it really is nothing more than what they said, moving all your movieclips relative to the mouse with different factors. They're not being elitists.

Regardless, here's the code so you can see for yourself (the .fla is like 10 mb because of the size of the images, though I can upload it if you want)

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME,Update)

var o1:Point = new Point(mc1.x,mc1.y);//get the initial locations of the movieclips
var o2:Point = new Point(mc2.x,mc2.y)
var o3:Point = new Point(mc3.x,mc3.y)

function Update(event:Event){
mc1.x = o1.x + mouseX/20;//divided by the paralax factor
mc1.y = o1.y + mouseY/20;

mc2.x = o2.x + mouseX/40;//divided by the paralax factor
mc2.y = o2.y + mouseY/40;

mc3.x = o3.x + mouseX/60;//divided by the paralax factor
mc3.y = o3.y + mouseY/60;
}

mc1 is Mario, mc2 is Luigi and mc3 is the background.

I hope this was helpful. And please try giving people the benefit of doubt. Even if you know you're right, try asking them for clarification about their point, and I'm sure you'll find it useful, especially if they're experienced programmers.

....please tell me it wasn't this simple?

(testing... testing...... http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/194/5/9/testingmc3_by_requiemsvoid-d7qhjbt.swf )

Like seriously?... really!?
**Why the hell couldn't someone of just referenced THAT from the beginning? (rather than nit-pick my wording)

I've posted this on 14 different sites, asking for help... you're the first one to post actual code in reply.
**lol, my "Elitist" point.. still stands :P

I'll start playing around with that code here in a bit.. since you were so kind to post that for me.. I'll make sure to credit you in the final tutorial as well drop a link to it here on Newgrounds.

**How would you like to be credited?
Name (you'd like to be referenced by):
Link (to a profile, site, blog, ect):

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 12:01:49

At 7/13/14 11:32 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote: **Why the hell couldn't someone of just referenced THAT from the beginning? (rather than nit-pick my wording)

Because many developers don't want to give you a fish, they want to teach you HOW to fish, but you weren't even trying. You had written them all off right from the beginning as "elitists", despite the fact that they were trying to help you. They actually were trying to help you, even if you don't want to believe it.

You wanted the code written for you and it made you insecure when they wanted you to actually put forth the effort and do a little searching. Yeah, the code WAS simple. By knowing that, it should tell you that they weren't jerking you around and if you had put forth the effort, you'd have eventually found it and you'd be a better man for it.

Study the code 4 gave you and try to understand why it does what it does so you can apply it to your future queries.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 12:28:50

At 7/13/14 12:01 PM, Barzona wrote:
At 7/13/14 11:32 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote: **Why the hell couldn't someone of just referenced THAT from the beginning? (rather than nit-pick my wording)
Because many developers don't want to give you a fish, they want to teach you HOW to fish, but you weren't even trying. You had written them all off right from the beginning as "elitists", despite the fact that they were trying to help you. They actually were trying to help you, even if you don't want to believe it.

You wanted the code written for you and it made you insecure when they wanted you to actually put forth the effort and do a little searching. Yeah, the code WAS simple. By knowing that, it should tell you that they weren't jerking you around and if you had put forth the effort, you'd have eventually found it and you'd be a better man for it.

Study the code 4 gave you and try to understand why it does what it does so you can apply it to your future queries.

Not sure if you realize how silly your argument is.. but just in case, you might wanna re-read my response above about "learning to paragraph".

Teaching someone to fish by saying they don't know what they're doing or talking about.. doesn't make any sense at all. (that's not how you TEACH anything).

Furthermore, how do you expect someone to learn without an example (code to look at)?

So YES, people whom are more fixated on wording and refuse to share information are indeed being elitist. (whether you want to admit it or not) :P

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 12:34:49

At 7/13/14 12:01 PM, Barzona wrote: Because many developers don't want to give you a fish, they want to teach you HOW to fish, but you weren't even trying. You had written them all off right from the beginning as "elitists", despite the fact that they were trying to help you. They actually were trying to help you, even if you don't want to believe it.

xD
I just wrote pretty much the same (even with the fish), so I'll just quote your answer insted of posting mine.

Also if an "elitist" tells you that you are wrong it is generally a good idea to ask why he thinks you're wrong or explain why you think that he is, instead of just telling him "nope".

The reason why you got no answer in your other post is (in my opinion) most likely due to the fact that you asked a question that has been asked thousands of times and there are thousands of tutorials out in the net.
If you provide no specific information to your case, you are pretty much asking us to write another tutorial just for you...

Try telling us what you have, what you want, what doesn't work and stuff you tried to solve your problem, etc.
(Post as little code as possible, explain the thoughts behind your code instead.)

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 12:45:20

At 7/13/14 12:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Not sure if you realize how silly your argument is.. but just in case, you might wanna re-read my response above about "learning to paragraph".

I think there has been enough of your poor terminology at this point. "Learn to paragraph"? Does that mean learn to code?

Teaching someone to fish by saying they don't know what they're doing or talking about.. doesn't make any sense at all. (that's not how you TEACH anything).

Hmm, I'd say learning what NOT to do is a fine step in the learning process. Maybe you should take some of that advice.

Furthermore, how do you expect someone to learn without an example (code to look at)?

By helping you to be self-reliant enough to go and find it. This Question you had was a very simple one with plenty of resources out there to help you figure it out. Even if there wasn't the exact code snippet that you wanted, there would have been plenty of examples for you to piece together into what you needed. of course, that would have required you to learn a bit about the code. You know, that thing you simply refuse to do.

So YES, people whom are more fixated on wording and refuse to share information are indeed being elitist. (whether you want to admit it or not) :P

I think it has actually been you that is more fixated on wording. All you've done is focus on how much people aren't giving you the code you want and how they keep telling you the same things. If everyone is telling you the same things, maybe they are on to something. Just.. try to look past yourself for a moment.

Lots of people have to learn these lessons about code. Even I was a bit of a stubborn ass when it came to getting help with coding because I didn't grasp the effort that it takes to learn it. It was an evolutionary process that took me to just have to learn and write my own code so that I could create what I want. You'll have to do the same if you want any of your projects to become a reality.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 12:46:52

At 7/13/14 11:32 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote: **lol, my "Elitist" point.. still stands :P

No it doesn't. milchreis explained what to do and that the effect is not done in post, MSGHero also explained that the effect is not done in post, MintPaw described the logic required to achieve the effect, and Baronza explained that you were misusing terms and as a result being confused by the other posts. Baronza also suggested a Google search which would have lead you to this tutorial, among others.

None of that is an elitist attitude; people simply answered your questions and corrected your misuse of terminology (which you then continued to misuse for whatever reason). It wasn't until your third post that you asked how to translate a MovieClip relative to the mouse position, and after that you got 4urentertainment's post.

Having said that, I highly recommend reading a book on AS3 or at the very least reading through a comprehensive tutorial (such as this one, which I haven't actually read, but it looks fine). Trying to learn a language by piecing together bits of code you picked up from random places and don't fully understand is not efficient.

At 7/13/14 12:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Not sure if you realize how silly your argument is.. but just in case, you might wanna re-read my response above about "learning to paragraph".

What you posted was not a good analogy because you can just Google "html guide" and find all the help you need.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 12:50:44

At 7/13/14 12:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Teaching someone to fish by saying they don't know what they're doing or talking about.. doesn't make any sense at all. (that's not how you TEACH anything).

You asked how to fish, we told you to take a fishing rod with a bait, go to a lake, put the hook into the water, wait until you got a fish and pull it out.
The next step would be for you to refine your question.
What is a bait?
How do I know there's a fish on my rod?
You just told us our answers were useless and asked your question again.

We are expecting you to know the basics if you don't tell us that you don't.
So there is no need to tell you how to move an object per code, because we think you know.
I personally still don't understand what your problem was.

Nobody was refusing to share information, and if you insist that wrong wording is correct, of course someone is going to disagree.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 13:20:39

At 7/13/14 12:46 PM, Diki wrote: Baronza [...] Baronza

Proof I don't know how to read. Whattup?

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 13:21:52

At 7/13/14 01:20 PM, Diki wrote:
At 7/13/14 12:46 PM, Diki wrote: Baronza [...] Baronza
Proof I don't know how to read. Whattup?

I also did not notice that. Yay dyslexia!

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 13:28:39

At 7/13/14 12:34 PM, Etherblood wrote:
At 7/13/14 12:01 PM, Barzona wrote: Because many developers don't want to give you a fish, they want to teach you HOW to fish, but you weren't even trying. You had written them all off right from the beginning as "elitists", despite the fact that they were trying to help you. They actually were trying to help you, even if you don't want to believe it.

xD
I just wrote pretty much the same (even with the fish), so I'll just quote your answer insted of posting mine.

Also if an "elitist" tells you that you are wrong it is generally a good idea to ask why he thinks you're wrong or explain why you think that he is, instead of just telling him "nope".

The reason why you got no answer in your other post is (in my opinion) most likely due to the fact that you asked a question that has been asked thousands of times and there are thousands of tutorials out in the net.
If you provide no specific information to your case, you are pretty much asking us to write another tutorial just for you...

Try telling us what you have, what you want, what doesn't work and stuff you tried to solve your problem, etc.
(Post as little code as possible, explain the thoughts behind your code instead.)

lol, If it's so easy to find.. with THOUSANDS of other people asking the same thing, then:
1. why didn't a normal forum goer post a link to a popular tutorial, right off the bat?
2. why didn't a troll post a "no duh" reply (oh, this question again ~ meme)?
3. why is it that when you google Parallax tutorial (as I did initially), almost every result is for After Effects and Layer Comps in Flash, WITHOUT actionscripting?

The answer it obvious :P
**It's either NOT a common question or if it is, then there's not a very common/easy to find a resource for the answer.

IE: You're wrong and don't want to admit that many of the people above were NOT being helpful.

Btw, an elitist isn't someone that gives good advice or advice at all.. beyond something to stroke his/her own ego. (hence the negative stigma of the word).

IE: Ask a "Gamer of the Master Race" (PC Elitist) which console is the best one to buy.

At 7/13/14 12:46 PM, Diki wrote:
At 7/13/14 11:32 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote: **lol, my "Elitist" point.. still stands :P
No it doesn't. milchreis explained what to do and that the effect is not done in post, MSGHero also explained that the effect is not done in post, MintPaw described the logic required to achieve the effect, and Baronza explained that you were misusing terms and as a result being confused by the other posts. Baronza also suggested a Google search which would have lead you to this tutorial, among others.

None of that is an elitist attitude; people simply answered your questions and corrected your misuse of terminology (which you then continued to misuse for whatever reason). It wasn't until your third post that you asked how to translate a MovieClip relative to the mouse position, and after that you got 4urentertainment's post.

Having said that, I highly recommend reading a book on AS3 or at the very least reading through a comprehensive tutorial (such as this one, which I haven't actually read, but it looks fine). Trying to learn a language by piecing together bits of code you picked up from random places and don't fully understand is not efficient.

What you posted was not a good analogy because you can just Google "html guide" and find all the help you need.

o.O... you realize you just proved you didn't read the analogy at all (or understand it).. because if you did, then you would know that HTML doesn't work on Reddit posts (they have their own custom formatting). Thus NO you couldn't just "google html guide" (as I even stated in the analogy itself).

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 13:29:51

At 7/13/14 12:45 PM, Barzona wrote:
I think there has been enough of your poor terminology at this point. "Learn to paragraph"? Does that mean learn to code?

Hmm, I'd say learning what NOT to do is a fine step in the learning process. Maybe you should take some of that advice.

By helping you to be self-reliant enough to go and find it. This Question you had was a very simple one with plenty of resources out there to help you figure it out. Even if there wasn't the exact code snippet that you wanted, there would have been plenty of examples for you to piece together into what you needed. of course, that would have required you to learn a bit about the code. You know, that thing you simply refuse to do.

I think it has actually been you that is more fixated on wording. All you've done is focus on how much people aren't giving you the code you want and how they keep telling you the same things. If everyone is telling you the same things, maybe they are on to something. Just.. try to look past yourself for a moment.

Lots of people have to learn these lessons about code. Even I was a bit of a stubborn ass when it came to getting help with coding because I didn't grasp the effort that it takes to learn it. It was an evolutionary process that took me to just have to learn and write my own code so that I could create what I want. You'll have to do the same if you want any of your projects to become a reality.

I like that you gave me a phrase to google, but now you're just being silly with your responses in logic...

In truth, you shouldn't expect people to want to waste time watching/reading hours upon hours upon hours of tutorials for every little program or problem that crosses their path (especially when the answer to their question is apparently so "obvious") :P

In this case, also how easy it is to explain the break down that code (answer) in the first place, so that even a beginner could understand it.

So let me make this clear, I study Zbrush, Unity 3D, Maya, Photoshop and After Effects... flash and actionscripting is a 2nd thought and I was only interested in this code so I could share it "in case" some of my watchers wanted to use it in their own projects (due to how popular Motion comics have become on DA).

Perhaps I'm just use to how friendly, knowledgeable and willing to help the 3D community is?..

Regardless, to those of you that were actually helpful and didn't play wordgames or assume I'm just a stubborn ass.. I say thank you.

@ the Anon that PM'd me on my 3D tutorials.
I cannot reply back to you there because you have a "block" on anyone that isn't on your friendslist.

So if you perchance come back here to read this, here's your answer:

I make tutorials with a few guidelines:
1. Don't pad out the lessons, be direct and to the point.
2. Don't charge money.

I run my channel partly because I don't believe education should be locked behind a paywall.. but also because most the tutorials out there are pure crap.

If you have a topic you'd like to see me cover, please feel free to PM me AFTER you reset your block :3

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 13:48:56

At 7/13/14 01:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: 1. why didn't a normal forum goer post a link to a popular tutorial, right off the bat?

Why didn't you perform the Google search that Barzona suggested (which would have lead you to the tutorial I linked in my previous post)?

At 7/13/14 01:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: 3. why is it that when you google Parallax tutorial (as I did initially), almost every result is for After Effects and Layer Comps in Flash, WITHOUT actionscripting?

Because parallax scrolling isn't unique to Flash or ActionScript, so you need to specify that you're looking for AS3-based results in the search query as Barzona suggested.

At 7/13/14 01:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: o.O... you realize you just proved you didn't read the analogy at all (or understand it).. because if you did, then you would know that HTML doesn't work on Reddit posts (they have their own custom formatting). Thus NO you couldn't just "google html guide" (as I even stated in the analogy itself).

I've never used Reddit before so I would have know way of knowing that, and I only skimmed your post and missed the one sentence where you pointed out Reddit does not use HTML. However, it's still a bad analogy because you can instead just Google "reddit formatting guide" to find this, this, this.

My point was that Google is very easy to use and you could have found out all you needed to know with it, such as wanting to move a display object relative to the position of the mouse, which is as easy as searching for as3 detect mouse position and/or as3 move display object relative to mouse

Either way, I'm not going to get into some silly slap fight with you, so this is the last I'll be posting in here. I again highly recommend reading a book on AS3 or following a tutorial that covers AS3 in its entirety (or close to it).

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 14:00:18

At 7/13/14 01:29 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: I like that you gave me a phrase to google, but now you're just being silly with your responses in logic...

I wonder if you even bothered to search it. I doubt it.

In truth, you shouldn't expect people to want to waste time watching/reading hours upon hours upon hours of tutorials for every little program or problem that crosses their path (especially when the answer to their question is apparently so "obvious") :P

Again, it was your responsibility to make the effort, not ours to just give away what we have spent countless hours learning. Coding knowledge is more precious that you seem to appreciate.

In this case, also how easy it is to explain the break down that code (answer) in the first place, so that even a beginner could understand it.

Did you ever ask for a breakdown of the code 4 gave you? if you wanted to understand something about it, you should have asked. People around these parts are actually quite generous when it comes to helping you understand bits of code that you present (don't overdo it, of course).

So let me make this clear, I study Zbrush, Unity 3D, Maya, Photoshop and After Effects... flash and actionscripting is a 2nd thought and I was only interested in this code so I could share it "in case" some of my watchers wanted to use it in their own projects (due to how popular Motion comics have become on DA).

Oh, okay, it sounds like you don't really care about coding at all. Well, that makes it all better. Since you don't care about learning code, they should just give you code. No sense in trying to teach someone who doesn't want to learn anyway, right? I guess you'll just have to keep going around message boards using your weird terminology, calling people elitists for not understanding your poor use of words and giving you the exact code you want, despite not understanding you until one of them just caves in a gives you some code to copy/paste.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with that. Just pray you don't ever have to do something complex.

Regardless, to those of you that were actually helpful and didn't play wordgames or assume I'm just a stubborn ass.. I say thank you.

With how you've behaved, nobody thinks you weren't a stubborn ass.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-13 14:04:46

At 7/13/14 01:48 PM, Diki wrote:
At 7/13/14 01:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: 1. why didn't a normal forum goer post a link to a popular tutorial, right off the bat?
Why didn't you perform the Google search that Barzona suggested (which would have lead you to the tutorial I linked in my previous post)?

At 7/13/14 01:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: 3. why is it that when you google Parallax tutorial (as I did initially), almost every result is for After Effects and Layer Comps in Flash, WITHOUT actionscripting?
Because parallax scrolling isn't unique to Flash or ActionScript, so you need to specify that you're looking for AS3-based results in the search query as Barzona suggested.

At 7/13/14 01:28 PM, Requiemsvoid wrote: o.O... you realize you just proved you didn't read the analogy at all (or understand it).. because if you did, then you would know that HTML doesn't work on Reddit posts (they have their own custom formatting). Thus NO you couldn't just "google html guide" (as I even stated in the analogy itself).
I've never used Reddit before so I would have know way of knowing that, and I only skimmed your post and missed the one sentence where you pointed out Reddit does not use HTML. However, it's still a bad analogy because you can instead just Google "reddit formatting guide" to find this, this, this.

My point was that Google is very easy to use and you could have found out all you needed to know with it, such as wanting to move a display object relative to the position of the mouse, which is as easy as searching for as3 detect mouse position and/or as3 move display object relative to mouse

Either way, I'm not going to get into some silly slap fight with you, so this is the last I'll be posting in here. I again highly recommend reading a book on AS3 or following a tutorial that covers AS3 in its entirety (or close to it).

Granted, I think you missed the point of the analogy (google can't help you if you don't know what you're looking for).. I agree that a "slap fight" wouldn't serve to advance what little conversation is to be had here.

Best of luck with your games and coding in the future. ^_^

That beind said, I think I've had my fill of all this circlejerking in the coding community (no offense).. so this will also likely be my last topic here on Newgrounds as well.) **Unless you guys move into integrating/promoting Unity games in the future.

At which point, I'll prolly jump in to offer tutorials.
~ ReQ

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-14 01:59:59

As any good developers know, there's a tutorial for everything ever implemented in every single game. It's just a matter of copy and pasting code and following a tutorial to get your "post-render effect" implemented.
- OP, 2014

Thread TL;DR: Poster oblivious to fact he just wants to be spoonfed code, trying to disguise his lack of knowledge by calling this unethical, immoral and illegal act by asking for a "tutorial". Calls people who are helping him an elitist because his wording doesn't make any sense or because they're offering him a way to implement it himself rather than spoonfeeding him code. Even though he's received the same reply from the other 14 places he has supposedly posted to, OP is still blinded by his pride. OP is elitist nazi. OP is clown. OP should "learn to paragraph".

These quotes from OP should serve to justify his elitist C&P nature:

Simply put, I'm looking for either the name of the technique or the Actionscript code that'll allow me to "move the camera"
seeing as how difficult it is to find a tutorial on this topic/technique. I'll be using any help/code you provide
If anyone else wants to contribute to this by way of code
I've posted this on 14 different sites, asking for help... you're the first one to post actual code in reply.
how do you expect someone to learn without an example (code to look at)?

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-14 09:11:57

Seems people are only interested in talking trash/troll now.. so this will be my final post here ~
**I've also asked a mod to close this topic**

Closing thoughts:

~~~~ ::Incoming Rant:: ~~~~

This is actually the 2nd time I've posted a coding topic here on Newgrounds.. the first one was up for 2 weeks, not a single person replied to it... no tutorial links, no offers to critique my code.. nothing.

IE: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1360602#bbspost24990009

When I stated "that" (lack of help) here my 2nd topic, people got upset that I dared to provide evidence in calling them out for not being helpful. Thus causing them to keep replying with ignorant posts about how I'm trying to be "spoonfed" or how I "don't want to learn to fish" (because their method isn't how you "teach" anything).

Granted, this seems to be a mindset (problem) with programmers in general. I think that they operate under the illusion that "everyone wants to learn EVERYTHING from scratch". When that can't be further from the truth.

If I had to learn everything about any one particular topic, for every little thing I do.. I would never really be able to make any real progress as an artist or game designer.

lol, it's funny tho.. because that's one of the reasons I created my tutorial channel XD

IE: I was having to learn:
1. Modeling/Polypaint/UVs in Zbrush.
2. Rigging/UVs in Maya
3. Game Design intergration in Unity 3D.
4. Textures in Photoshop.
5. Post render effects in After Effects.

Meaning, if I didn't take notes.. or make video references of things I'd learned, then I would forget them as I moved into learning one of the other programs. (let alone how much useless crap I'd learn/forget along the way.)

**It's an added bonus that my videos can also help other people learn, as I do. :3

This has also caused me to operate off of a different mindset:
*When someone asks a simple question that even a "n00b" should be able to figure out.. then perhaps they're looking in the wrong place or are over-thinking the problem. Thus anyone that replies to the topic should provide help in the form of examples with a solid description of what that mechanic/tool/code does.

Who knows.. perhaps that little bit of help will spur the person asking the question to want to learn much more about that given topic/program/ect. (thus creating a new programer/artist/game dev).

I guess, what I'm trying to say.. is that Newgrounds may be a place with knowledgeable people but they simply aren't interested in actually "teaching". (hence why no one initially posted "links" to tutorials and everyone assumed I could just google the answers without understanding what I was asking for).

Basically, I don't get along with people like that... and I think they're the reason why it's so hard for new people to get into "the industry". (Snobs/Elitists don't help anyone).

~~~~ /Rant ~~~~

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-14 09:47:10

At 7/14/14 09:11 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Seems people are only interested in talking trash/troll now.. so this will be my final post here ~

... and it seems like that's the only thing you've done in the entirety of this thread. Every single user here has had to decipher your stupid question (if you can call it that, what the hell is a "post render effect"?) and have volunteered to help you yet you call them elitists because they can't understand your question as best as YOU can. Maybe English isn't your primary language but in any case you should be clarifying yourself, NOT jabbing the people who are helping you with a stick.

~~~~ ::Incoming Rant:: ~~~~

All your posts have been rants, why warn this time?

This is actually the 2nd time I've posted a coding topic here on Newgrounds.. the first one was up for 2 weeks, not a single person replied to it... no tutorial links, no offers to critique my code.. nothing.

IE: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1360602#bbspost24990009

Posted in animators' sub-forum. Good idea. There are no "coding elitists" there so nobody would judge you as you say but then again if you weren't so ignorant you'd know that there are no programmers there AT ALL. I'm sure you wouldn't ask a doctor to fix your car, right?

Granted, this seems to be a mindset (problem) with programmers in general. I think that they operate under the illusion that "everyone wants to learn EVERYTHING from scratch". When that can't be further from the truth.

We don't know your level of expertise, we aren't mind readers. If you ask for help we assume you know the basics. If you ask for code we assume you know nothing. Either way many users here have already helped you. You asked for guidance and that's what you got. If you wanted to be spoonfed with code then say you want to be spoonfed, don't try to disguise it under the "tutorial" monicker.

If I had to learn everything about any one particular topic, for every little thing I do.. I would never really be able to make any real progress as an artist or game designer.

Yes agreed, but you came here asking for help. You received help. You wanted code, not help. We give you what you ask for. If you wanted code don't ask for help (or "tutorials").

IE: I was having to learn:
1. Modeling/Polypaint/UVs in Zbrush.
2. Rigging/UVs in Maya
3. Game Design intergration in Unity 3D.
4. Textures in Photoshop.
5. Post render effects in After Effects.

Good for you, I've had to learn how to:
1. walk,
2. talk,
3. eat,
4. clean and
5. sleep.

We're on the same level here.

(let alone how much useless crap I'd learn/forget along the way.)

Those connotations present the type of person you are bud.

This has also caused me to operate off of a different mindset:
*When someone asks a simple question that even a "n00b" should be able to figure out..

Your question was in no way easy to decipher.

Who knows.. perhaps that little bit of help will spur the person asking the question to want to learn much more about that given topic/program/ect. (thus creating a new programer/artist/game dev).

I guess, what I'm trying to say.. is that Newgrounds may be a place with knowledgeable people but they simply aren't interested in actually "teaching". (hence why no one initially posted "links" to tutorials and everyone assumed I could just google the answers without understanding what I was asking for).

Your ignorance is out of this world! Have you actually read ANY of the replies? Teaching doesn't constitute presenting code and spoonfeeding you bud.

Basically, I don't get along with people like that... and I think they're the reason why it's so hard for new people to get into "the industry". (Snobs/Elitists don't help anyone).

The only elitist here is you, you've admitted yourself that all your replies were the same from all other "14 forums" that you posted to. If the replies are the same, then clearly either all programmers with varying levels and years of experience are in the wrong according to you.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-14 10:21:18

1. You're not angry at yourself that why you couldn't figure something this easy out on your own?
2. MintPaw posted on how to do it in flash, and you ignored that

:Just separate all you objects in to different MovieClips, then every frame offset them by the a multiple of the mouse's location

If you don't know this, google from the clue, not repeating what's been already answered. Which is above.

3. I was in your position once. I know it's frustrating you can't find the code to start on, but it's not an excuse to blame someone for not giving the code away. Instead, I looked further down the code, find the part that everything has in common, and finally get the logic.
4. Keep the question short and simple.Same goes when google search. I didn't know until now that technique is called Parallax. No, English is not my mother language.
5. I believe your post-render effect means effects that can't be done through drawing. There's a term for that in 3D texturing technique which confuses everyone.

Response to Parallax Controls? 2014-07-14 10:55:44

Hmm, seems the mods weren't quick enough to lock this... oh well.

At 7/14/14 09:47 AM, slugrail wrote:
At 7/14/14 09:11 AM, Requiemsvoid wrote: Basically, I don't get along with people like that... and I think they're the reason why it's so hard for new people to get into "the industry". (Snobs/Elitists don't help anyone).
The only elitist here is you, you've admitted yourself that all your replies were the same from all other "14 forums" that you posted to. If the replies are the same, then clearly either all programmers with varying levels and years of experience are in the wrong according to you.

I said that of the 14 different sites "no one has posted any code" in reference to helping me understand the problem from actual context in code usage.

So stop lying and twisting things I say..

Plus, of the two of us.. which one of us is actually giving back to the community?... I help people, while you just talk trash and play wordgames. (congrats?)

At 7/14/14 10:21 AM, Knight52 wrote: 1. You're not angry at yourself that why you couldn't figure something this easy out on your own?
2. MintPaw posted on how to do it in flash, and you ignored that

Just separate all you objects in to different MovieClips, then every frame offset them by the a multiple of the mouse's location
If you don't know this, google from the clue, not repeating what's been already answered. Which is above.

3. I was in your position once. I know it's frustrating you can't find the code to start on, but it's not an excuse to blame someone for not giving the code away. Instead, I looked further down the code, find the part that everything has in common, and finally get the logic.
4. Keep the question short and simple.Same goes when google search. I didn't know until now that technique is called Parallax. No, English is not my mother language.
5. I believe your post-render effect means effects that can't be done through drawing. There's a term for that in 3D texturing technique which confuses everyone.

1. No, why would I be angry?.. I even gave up on this forum Saturday night, planning to set aside all sunday evening to watch lessons from Lynda.com on Actionscripting basics. (4urentertainment posted the code before I got off work, so there was no need).

2. I didn't ignore Mintpaw, we've been talking through PM's since he/she posted that.

3. Blaming people?.. I've simply been pointing out obvious flaws in how a lot of them have been responding. (Not everyone here has been a jerk. Those that were actually helpful and talking to me through PMs or my other profiles, I've said many thanks to).

4. Agreed, short and to the point is best.
**Curious, what is your native language?... when I make the tutorial for this, I've been thinking about having some of my friends help translate it into other languages.

5. Indeed, that word/phrase does seem to confuse many of the posters above.. (Since I'm an animator and I'm not an avid programer, I didn't take into account their "lingo" and they seem to have done the same in their responses to me).

Anywho, I'm gonna try to let this convo die.. so if anyone wants to get a link to the finished tutorial or places it can be posted. Feel free to PM me.