00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

God Tier Books

929 Views | 20 Replies

God Tier Books 2014-06-27 08:47:24

I'm talking about the most critically acclaimed books ever, right now i'm reading Gravity's Rainbow what do you think are the best books ever?
ps: sory if the images is sideways if not, great

God Tier Books

I suck at drawing and I hate the fuckin' Eagles.

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 08:53:10

Clifford the big red dog

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 12:16:40

I always mentally categorize The Stranger as a novel in it's own league, apart from all others. Perhaps this is "God Tier."

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 13:30:50

At 6/27/14 09:26 AM, Piggler wrote: + Dr. Seuss

yassss

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 13:31:29

At 6/27/14 09:12 AM, Spooky wrote: Well I guess The Bible is technically God tier

Aaahhh, I see what you did there!

LotR is pretty good. And I really like The Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy series too.

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 16:32:31

At 6/27/14 09:12 AM, Spooky wrote: Well I guess The Bible is technically God tier

Damn, beat me to it. Well, it is the most influential and widely printed and read book in history.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 16:38:37

At 6/27/14 12:16 PM, saltovergray wrote: I always mentally categorize The Stranger as a novel in it's own league, apart from all others. Perhaps this is "God Tier."

What's so good about it? I re-read it recently, although only realised I was re-reading it about a third of the way through (In fact I might even have been re-re-reading it, which you would expect to notice.), and didn't enjoy it. Again. But I suppose it might be more interesting to a Psychology Dude. Which translation* did you read? Because tbf short sentences piss me off.

*J'assume

My favourite book that I've read is New Grub Street and I have almost precisely no clue why. Something to do with the contrasting approaches of the hopeless, depressive romantic and shrewd, enterprising opportunist, maybe. It feels sort of like a Russian novel set in modern Britain, despite being written in the same sort of period as the Russian literature it reminds me of???

With regard to lighter reading I've always loved Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, which I bet is right up a few Newgrounders' streets.

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 16:46:11

I'm really glad someone posted between me and the other Adams post. Simply put, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a masterpiece. It has wit, intellect and a complete lack of the condescension a lot of high concept fiction has. It's so good that like a year after I'd read it I found a copy at a library sale and decided I had to own it. This needed to be on a shelf as part of my personal ether. And it is, hardcover copy with that stretched out pre-photophop picture of Adams on the back.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 16:49:36

At 6/27/14 08:53 AM, Vnzi wrote: Also the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book is a pinnacle of literature.

"literature"? I think you mean "existence".

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-27 17:24:20

Sidney Sheldon is basically America's greatest storyteller. He did storng female leads before it was cool! My favorite from him is probs Master of the Game or The Stars Shine Down.

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 01:58:08

At 6/27/14 04:38 PM, Ejit wrote:
What's so good about it? I re-read it recently, although only realised I was re-reading it about a third of the way through (In fact I might even have been re-re-reading it, which you would expect to notice.), and didn't enjoy it. Again. But I suppose it might be more interesting to a Psychology Dude. Which translation* did you read? Because tbf short sentences piss me off.

I read the American translation (the later one, I think it was a late 80s translation?). I really like the short, blunt sentences. They really contribute to the dull, aimless atmosphere of the whole novel. The main theme of the novel (the useless, aimless burden of existence) really resonated with me.

Definitely not for everyone though, and that's fine and well.

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 02:56:23

- Animal Farm
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
- Calvin and Hobbes collections (this counts)

a lot of others.

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 07:00:54

hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 09:00:03

Man! you guys have really good reads on here! I will also point out that many of you say Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (I fucking love that book) oh yea Vnzi that book House Of Leaves sounds intresting...

I suck at drawing and I hate the fuckin' Eagles.

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 09:38:55

a song of ice and fire.

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 09:48:07

God tier? Bible, Koran, Tora, Zohar, Talmud

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 10:55:43

Books I've read recently (2010-now) that I really liked:
Lord of the Flies
Brave New World
The Brothers Karamazov
A Song of Ice and Fire series
The Blood Meridian
Waiting For Godot
The Trial
Crime and Punishment
The Dark Tower series
The Stranger
A Clockwork Orange
Dune series
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
Infinite Jest

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 13:25:32

Atlas Shrugged.

God Tier Books

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-28 13:28:18

At 6/28/14 02:56 AM, NGPulp wrote: - 1984
- Animal Farm
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
- Calvin and Hobbes collections (this counts)

These are all great. I'd also like to add that Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five is an awesomely iconic book that should be read more.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-29 02:56:12

blood meridian

it's about a teenage vagabond who is forced into joining a group of filibusters and freelancers who go on an indian-scalping expedition in the uncharted territory near the us-mexican border

horror ensues, easily the most deranged descriptions of violence i have read since chuck palahniuk's haunted

not a happy read at all but well worth getting through at least the first half to experience some of the most powerful and original writing in american prose but it's cormac mccarthy so what do you expect

highly recommend

God Tier Books

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to God Tier Books 2014-06-29 03:59:49

I have always found the dictionary to be quite amazing...

BBS Signature