00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MadManOnMeds just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

IDE for web development?

738 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

IDE for web development? 2014-06-24 17:41:17

I'm looking for an IDE for web development. I mostly want syntax highlighting, and autoformat features for HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and PHP. WYSIWYG would be nice, but I can work without it too. Right now I am looking into Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web. Also, the IDE needs to be free or low cost (so Dreamweaver is out of the question!).

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to IDE for web development? 2014-06-24 17:53:30

I personally just use Sublime Text when writing HTML, CSS and PHP.

You could also use Brackets for front-end development; I've never used it before but I've heard good things. If you're interested in a more comprehensive development suite for PHP, you could look into PHPStorm. There is also the option of using Eclipse with the PHP plugin.

Response to IDE for web development? 2014-06-24 17:54:19

Correction: Microsoft Expression Web 4 is what I was after, not Visual Studio for Web. I love Microsoft software, but sometimes their marketing drives me nuts.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to IDE for web development? 2014-06-24 18:03:10

The IDEs from JetBrains are very neat.

WebStorm is nice for the client side stuff.
Adding php highlighting should be possible via plugins.

Depending on what/how much you do with php you could go with PhpStorm, which does what WebStorm does plus PHP.
Check the features on their website to see what fits your needs.

Response to IDE for web development? 2014-06-29 12:11:49

I used to use Sublime until Cloud 9 included me in their beta of their next upcoming version.

The current version of Cloud 9 is functional but not great.

The beta I'm in is mind blowingly better. The text editor looks and feels like sublime and has all the context-sensitive highlighting/color-coding/searching that Sublime has.

It's really a marvel and I recommend it. But you might want to wait for this coming version to ship.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to IDE for web development? 2014-06-29 22:33:07

+1 for JetBrains - I use PHPStorm and I love it. It's really good about keeping up with connected files and informing you of broken links. It will also auto-complete and correct code if that's a feature you want. There's a free trial and once you download it you'll probably find it hard to live without it and buy the full version. They offer good student discounts too if you're in school. I jumped from DreamWeaver (way back in the Macromedia days) to PHP Storm so it was a huge upgrade because I hadn't gotten a new development environment in about 8 years. If you write everything out manually you don't need much. :)

Merkd.com - It Pays to Play

Earn real money by betting and investing; or, sponsor, challenge, compete,

recruit, communicate, network, earn money playing games, and much more.