00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you still buy copies of games?

931 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 00:52:55

I noticed people these days would get digital copy's via steam/emulators and wondering if anyone stills prefer the actual hard copies of games? Well for me it depends on if I currently have the console compatible for the game, I also use the wii shop channel to get virtual console games and if any other is not available there then probably use an emulator.

Since wii games enforces certain controls I would rather get a copy for ps if I had one.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 01:16:15

I never do digital unless there's no physical counterpart.

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 01:32:41

Well, I never bought a digital copy before (don't fully trust online transactions and don't have any console memberships.)
But the idea of digital copies is neat and all, and I probably go that route if I have to, but I still prefer hard copies, they something that if not functionally (scratch discs, etc), at least physically can last forever, they are great memorabilia!

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 02:04:27

I always buy physical copies and tend to avoid digital altogether. The only time I pay for digital copies of games is if they're on sale for really low prices.

I use the same argument every time this gets brought up, but I don't like the idea of paying for a game and then in the future finding out that I can no longer play it because the service I bought it from no longer exists. Will Steam (or any digital service) still be around in 20 years? Will they still give you access to 20 year old games if they do still exist? Common counter point is "who the fuck plays games that are 20 years old?!" umm... me and a lot of other people who enjoying playing older games just as much as modern games.

Although I totally understand why people prefer the convenience of digital games but they're just not for me. I think I'll always prefer having physical copies of games.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 05:19:50

I don't buy PC games.

For console games, I always buy physical. Because:

You can then resell

You can trade

The value of physical copies appreciates, because it is limited in supply

If your console dies, you still have the game

If whatever service you downloaded the game from died or stopped offering that specific game, and you needed to redownload it in the future, you'd be screwed

Since you can uninstall games, your console's HDD is saved significantly (this is a huge benefit)

When it *is* installed, it takes up less space than a digital download does, since the console reads some of the data off the disc. (a lot I imagine)

Box art is beautiful.

Physical copies come with a manual

I can play a physical copy on someone else's console.

Console games look nice lined up on a shelf.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 09:36:03

Where possible I like to have a physical copy of the game, as it feels more safe to have such a thing, it can always be copied onto the computer for digital storage.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 10:07:49

I only do digital when there's no physical version, or when it's super cheap / free.

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 12:22:10

coming home with the physical copy, the real deal in hand, is always a good feeling. digital copies are much less preferred.

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 13:56:57

I try to get the physical copy of games a much as possible, mainly for consoles, but steam and other digital distrbution services are really the only way to get PC games now, so there is that.

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 13:58:12

Yep. I try to avoid buying digital copies of stuff because if something goes wrong and the game gets erased I'd most likely have to buy it all over again or something and I don't want.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 14:05:41

At 6/18/14 01:58 PM, Viper wrote: Yep. I try to avoid buying digital copies of stuff because if something goes wrong and the game gets erased I'd most likely have to buy it all over again or something and I don't want.

Which is why you want to back up your flies using google drive/4shared or something.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 16:28:42

Of course I prefer physical copies. It's just a pain in the ass sometimes to leave the house and go since I don't drive - But it's quicker to use a physical copy without having to download, and it's nice to be able to hold your game in your hand.

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-18 21:24:34

Physical copies are nice. I get digital copies if there is no physic copy, or if there is a sale. Or if me and my friend both want a game, as im signed into his console as well we both pitch in, I buy it and we both download it at separate times.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 00:49:25

At 6/18/14 01:16 AM, FlockMastaBack wrote: I never do digital unless there's no physical counterpart.

Pretty much this.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 03:31:34

i love hard copies because of the back stuff . i really like the wow expanions hard copies becouse it has a front and a back but you can also open it and see more stuff and the actual disk is in a normal box inside of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 05:40:46

For console games I do prefer to have physical copies and I do buy new ones from time to time. For PC games I'd much rather use Steam as it's cheaper and way easier to manage your games.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 09:39:38

Well for me I buy copies of Video games becouse its cooler to have the cd

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 11:41:21

I buy physical copies of whatever I can't emulate. I rarely buy digital. The only digital games I have are the free games I get from PSN+ and Steam gifts. That being said, my physical library is getting overbearing and I would prefer the convenience of storing my games on an HDD. But after going through hell and back to softmod my Wii and load games from an external harddrive, I don't even want to think about softmodding any other console until it becomes as easy as installing firmware.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 11:43:33

I personally like copies more than digital. It would be awesome if they brought cartridges back with cool artwork on them. I know it cost them more, but the nostalgia feeling is just amazing.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Do you still buy copies of games? 2014-06-19 12:42:29

I have never purchased a digital copy of a game. I always get a physical copy.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature