00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views

957 Views | 21 Replies

like the title says the sopa act is comming back idk about yall but i think we dont need that shit what do you guys think about that?>

heres the petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sopa-2014/q0Vkk0Zr

sign it before they start being able to tell you people what u can and cant do with your own freedom, for real fuck the government they can eat sh*t for all i care

Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-14 17:38:43

Really, I don't care anymore, because a bill like SOPA isn't going to pass unless it has some heavy modifications and the enforcement of the law may be dodgy. The first time, I get why everyone was up-in-arms about it because it was rather vague and the somewhat limited information that we got, it was presented in a negative light, but after a while, it gets annoying to hear others say the same thing, when the reality is SOPA as is has about the same odds that a dictator will not be re-elected in a rigged election.

It isn't going to stop politicians and certain companies from trying, but it's just another day at the office in D.C., go figure.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-14 18:01:32

It's understandable these firms want to protect their copyrights and all but...yeah, this is one of those issues Americans don't sleep on and will actually pay attention to so...some big overreaching draconian law won't get it done, politicians and these industries will actually have to put some thinking into it if they want it passed.

And that kids is why it'll never pass. :)

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-14 19:13:05

I'm still waiting for someone to use the language of the law to point out why SOPA presents more than a hypothetical problem.

It's as if everyone hates this and yet no one can seem to explain what is actually wrong with it. (It's the Nickelback of laws.)

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-14 19:50:19

This petition is very vague, are all petitions like this?

...is it me or has politics suddenly become a series of mandatory lightning rounds in a mandatory game show?

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-14 21:43:31

Could someone actually post a link to where the actual sopa site is so I can read the actual thing before deciding on signing it or not?

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-15 00:10:30

At 3/15/14 12:03 AM, Elitistinen wrote: Petitions won't do shit. Because once the government want to pass a bill/law, they would make it happens. I still have strong faith in US government for repealing bills like SOPA.

if sopa passes i give it less than a month before were into a civil war. Seriously do you know how many people would be pissed? Everyone who agrees that government spying/censorship is just wrong would flip their lids man, i know me. Im going to do everything in my power to shit on the governments day when it regards any attempt to screw with our freedoms on the net you can believe that

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-15 01:17:24

At 3/15/14 12:10 AM, RedDevilX wrote: government censorship

And here is where the anti-SOPA crowd utterly fails:

PROVE IT

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-15 01:40:53

I don't know if this is actually related to the petition, but since my thread got locked because of it I might as well post this link here.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140313/17470826574/rebranding-sopa-now-called-notice-staydown.shtml

The concept described in this article, called "notice and staydown" is like the "notice and takedown" part of the DMCA, with some very glaring differences.

1. Automatic (instead of manual) removal of content upon the reception of a takedown notice.

2. Permanent banning of said content from ever being posted again.

This is a VERY BAD idea, because the DMCA's been abused frequently against content that would be protected against fair use. The "notice and staydown" concept would place even more unfair burdens on websites and the tons people who make fair use works for the purpose of letting copyright maximalists have more control over the contents of the internet.

I am aware that fair use is a defense and not a right, but a line is being crossed when the application of fair use is being disputed in many, many, MANY cases.

The reason I am posting this here is that this concept has been likened to SOPA, even though the petition doesn't state whether it's talking about the "notice and staydown" concept or not.

...is it me or has politics suddenly become a series of mandatory lightning rounds in a mandatory game show?

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-15 15:14:44

At 3/15/14 12:10 AM, RedDevilX wrote: if sopa passes i give it less than a month before were into a civil war.

This is hardly grounds to considered an act of war, and it's really not worth spitting the country over. This isn't the Middle East, where it's a massive tinderbox that will go up in flames at the drop of the hat over anything, rather this is small insignificant ember in mud.

Seriously do you know how many people would be pissed? Everyone who agrees that government spying/censorship is just wrong would flip their lids man, i know me. Im going to do everything in my power to shit on the governments day when it regards any attempt to screw with our freedoms on the net you can believe that

No you won't. You're just angry over something that really isn't a big deal, and has no chance of passing as it is now. You really need to go outside and play some more if you're trying to be some Internet crusader for a cause that is nothing more than some silly boogeyman fear-mongering tactic that has no teeth.

I honestly do not fucking understand why people like you would go totally apeshit over something like this and advocate war for such a petty difference of opinion. This isn't South Park where this kind of behavior would be commonplace, (for the sake of humor) this is reality, where it's more saner but more complicated.

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-15 15:21:52

At 3/15/14 03:14 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 3/15/14 12:10 AM, RedDevilX wrote: if sopa passes i give it less than a month before were into a civil war.
This is hardly grounds to considered an act of war, and it's really not worth spitting the country over. This isn't the Middle East, where it's a massive tinderbox that will go up in flames at the drop of the hat over anything, rather this is small insignificant ember in mud.

Seriously do you know how many people would be pissed? Everyone who agrees that government spying/censorship is just wrong would flip their lids man, i know me. Im going to do everything in my power to shit on the governments day when it regards any attempt to screw with our freedoms on the net you can believe that
No you won't. You're just angry over something that really isn't a big deal, and has no chance of passing as it is now. You really need to go outside and play some more if you're trying to be some Internet crusader for a cause that is nothing more than some silly boogeyman fear-mongering tactic that has no teeth.

I honestly do not fucking understand why people like you would go totally apeshit over something like this and advocate war for such a petty difference of opinion. This isn't South Park where this kind of behavior would be commonplace, (for the sake of humor) this is reality, where it's more saner but more complicated.

....it just frustrated the shit out of me that things like this keep comming up, i guess i let it get to me, but still though why must our government representatives go out of their way to keep repeating their past mistakes? It only inconveniences us greatly because then we actually have to gather more people to argue with back and forth with them just to tell them to f*ck off with that sh*t

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-16 03:37:13

At 3/15/14 03:59 AM, Elitistinen wrote: There will be the whack-a-mole effect and there will be friendly fire, a lot of it.

I kind of already said that.

Using crawlers and bots to spread takedown notice is the dumbest thing anyone would think off.

I'm pretty sure there are stupider ideas. Some people have attempted lawsuits against internet comments

Unless the content uploaders are all idiot, I doubt this will be in effect. For example, someone was in a lawsuit from a company who demanded me to take down all the torrent uploads of their product. Simple thing is to take all down like they said, and reupload them on a more popular torrent site with different identity. Problem solved.

Wouldn't the more popular sites be taken down first?

I feel like 'this' has been repeated so many time. Same sort of bill with different names. Same sort of anti-bill people who don't understand how the bill supposed to work, and go ahead to oppose it.

I'm not talking about a bill. I'm talking about a concept that was proposed on hearings on copyright reforms. Being specific is more important than one would think.

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-16 06:23:40

At 3/15/14 01:40 AM, BoredLooney wrote: the DMCA's been abused frequently against content that would be protected against fair use.

OH MY GOD I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake.

I meant content protected BY fair use, not against it.

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-16 18:36:11

At 3/15/14 03:21 PM, RedDevilX wrote: ....it just frustrated the shit out of me that things like this keep comming up, i guess i let it get to me, but still though why must our government representatives go out of their way to keep repeating their past mistakes?

I may have to remind you that the majority of Congressmen voted against this bill twice already, and I highly doubt that it'll be any different this time. Granted, it's not going to stop a few others from trying again, but I highly doubt that SOPA will pass on it's own. Really you aren't seeing the forest from the trees, and you're letting the details cloud the actual reality. That's not including the fact you wildly overreacted to a bill that is so vague and unpopular to begin with, it's to take this conversation seriously.

It only inconveniences us greatly because then we actually have to gather more people to argue with back and forth with them just to tell them to f*ck off with that sh*t

First off, spell out the cuss words, we're all adults here. (presumably of course)

Second, if you're going to make a cohesive argument, a better idea is to go something like, "here's something that I'm very opposed to and here are my reasons/solutions to the issue." Instead of "if it passes, there will be some unpleasantness for no reason." No need to bring out the torches and pitchforks for something that really isn't a big deal either way.

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-16 18:41:22

Besides that, here's something to REALLY worry about:
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/03/121583-administration-just-weaken-internet-security-set-stage-global-web-tax/

One Big Ass Mistake America.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-16 18:47:20

At 3/16/14 06:41 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: One Big Ass Mistake America.

If this were any conservative you'd be drenched in cum after fervently fellating it.

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-17 03:44:29

You guys... Sopa is bad, but right now it's being a little overshadowed by TPPA, which will screw the Internet AND real life.

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-26 15:47:02

Violation of the US Constitution and a big "fuck you" to all Americans.

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-26 15:49:42

I assume someone has already written up a petition against again, so if you have a link, I'll gladly sign my signature AGAINST sopa.

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-26 18:59:07

At 3/26/14 03:47 PM, WallofYawn wrote: Violation of the US Constitution and a big "fuck you" to all Americans.

Oh really? Exactly which part of SOPA violates which part of the Constitution?

FYI (no part and no part)

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-27 01:29:47

At 3/26/14 08:49 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 3/26/14 03:49 PM, WallofYawn wrote: I assume someone has already written up a petition against again, so if you have a link, I'll gladly sign my signature AGAINST sopa.
You can sign a 1000 petitions and the bill still passes. It's true with ACTA.

I heard ACTA died actually. Upon further research, I read it was rejected by the EU.

Response to Sopas Comming Back What R Ur Views 2014-03-27 19:09:22

At 3/27/14 12:15 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 3/27/14 01:29 AM, BoredLooney wrote:
I heard ACTA died actually. Upon further research, I read it was rejected by the EU.
No it passed, check Wikipedia. Also you get the Asian version of ACTA, TPPA.

On 4 July 2012, the European Parliament declined its consent, effectively rejecting it, 478 votes to 39, and 165 abstentions.[10][11]

I copy and pasted this from Wikipedia itself.