00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How many going into art careers?

958 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 13:02:02

Was just curious about how many of you are thinking or working on going into the art field as illustrators, graphic designers, concept artists, painters, or whatever. Anyone planning to attend any art schools or art programs? What about those already working as professionals? Thought it would be interesting to throw some of these questions out there and see what comes back.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 14:07:17

At 3/11/14 01:02 PM, StopMotionFury wrote: Was just curious about how many of you are thinking or working on going into the art field as illustrators, graphic designers, concept artists, painters, or whatever. Anyone planning to attend any art schools or art programs? What about those already working as professionals? Thought it would be interesting to throw some of these questions out there and see what comes back.

There probably aren't many who are going into the art field professionally but there could be a few people studying art you are going into retail/food services. Does that count?

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 14:41:56

At 3/11/14 01:02 PM, StopMotionFury wrote: Was just curious about how many of you are thinking or working on going into the art field as illustrators, graphic designers, concept artists, painters, or whatever. Anyone planning to attend any art schools or art programs? What about those already working as professionals? Thought it would be interesting to throw some of these questions out there and see what comes back.

In a few weeks I'll be starting my final quarter of graphic design school! I'm in Seattle where there's a lot of UX/UI jobs which mainly relate to apps and websites and stuff. It's more boring work but it pays better. There are still visual designy and illustratey jobs out there too. I dunno where I'll end up yet but it's a pretty good field to get into if you're in the right area, literally everything you buy and everywhere you go needs to be designed, so there's always work.
I chose to get into it because it was less pressure on me to get amazing at fine art and I thought it'd be easier overall. It's still hard work but in a different way. Also - I have no ultimate artist vision I currently need to express and bring into the world, so I don't mind using my skills to help other people with theirs!

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 15:18:49

Currently in working on networking my work to sell prints and paintings. I've painted the interior of a bar and sold a few paintings so far in the past few months. As far as actually studying art goes: maybe this Fall.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 15:32:47

Currently working as a graphic designer/illustrator in a studio working on a bunch of corporate things for big(for a country this small) clients so if you have any specific questions about how big companies get their graphics done/timeframes/anything to do with traditional media/advertising let me know

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 17:32:29

At 3/11/14 01:02 PM, StopMotionFury wrote: stuff about employment

I can't see myself doing anything other than art at the moment, I'm not entirely enthusiastic about common work, something about working in retail or restaurants doesn't sit well with me, then again, what else is there?, for me to get work I've got to move to 1 of 3 cities, Leeds, Manchester and Bradford and I have more chance of getting shanked by a 12 year old with no understanding of the value of human life in those cities than I am getting employment, maybe I should go on the dole, grow fat and get addicted to whatever the local drug dealer is pushing, its more of an optimistic existence than what I've got going on now.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 18:03:22

At 3/11/14 05:32 PM, M-Maher wrote: maybe I should go on the dole, grow fat and get addicted to whatever the local drug dealer is pushing, its more of an optimistic existence than what I've got going on now.

That's just sad sack bullshit. Don't romanticise your own failure just to relieve yourself from having to put in the effort to actually do something.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 18:34:29

At 3/11/14 06:03 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 3/11/14 05:32 PM, M-Maher wrote: maybe I should go on the dole, grow fat and get addicted to whatever the local drug dealer is pushing, its more of an optimistic existence than what I've got going on now.
That's just sad sack bullshit. Don't romanticise your own failure just to relieve yourself from having to put in the effort to actually do something.

ow, romanticizing my failure is my favorite pastime, fine, ill prototype art toys out of modeling clay and see if I can get something running from that.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 19:21:56

At 3/11/14 06:34 PM, M-Maher wrote:
At 3/11/14 06:03 PM, Aigis wrote:
ow, romanticizing my failure is my favorite pastime, fine, ill prototype art toys out of modeling clay and see if I can get something running from that.

haha I read prototyping toys, and my mind went someplace else entirely,....
>.>... it probably pays better than normal "toys" too....

Er... back on topic... I guess I have been working over about a year and a quarter as a professional graphics designer...
heh... seems longer and shorter than that all at the same time...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-11 22:49:50

I'm comfortable staying at a more hobbyist level.

I wouldn't want to sacrifice enjoying drawing shit to monetize it.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-12 00:48:26

I design characters and then people pay me money to use them for stuff sometimes and i'm alright with it. Thats the extent of my professionalism with drawing. I don't actually need any income from my art though because of my other job, but im more passionate about design than anything else. What does that make me? Hobbyist? Professional? Does it really matter? I admire people who make their living solely on their artistic work, but I'm not really at the level i need to be at to do that yet.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-12 12:48:26

I've only self-taught myself art so far, never gone professional....yet...

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-12 13:01:34

I've done a few commissioned pieces, but I have yet to do anything professionally. I'm kind of in the same boat as Lintire.

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-12 14:57:27

Did a few character designs for an indie company, returned from California a week ago after resigning due to the producer's stupidity. I'm happier freelancing.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-12 21:16:20

I plan on studying art culture/history in university if I can't get into the philosophy course I want.

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-12 21:32:37

I'd like to give it a shot.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-13 03:39:56

I just want to tell stories. I like writing and drawing so becoming a comic book creator would be my dream job so I'm working on that.

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-13 04:03:00

At 3/11/14 10:49 PM, Lintire wrote: I'm comfortable staying at a more hobbyist level.
I wouldn't want to sacrifice enjoying drawing shit to monetize it.

Same here. I'm really shaky when it comes to doing art and keeping motivated. I design the occasional logo for people I know or over the interwebs, but I wouldn't want to rely on that as a source of income.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to How many going into art careers? 2014-03-13 04:32:04

i thought this would be some what of a boring topic but surprisingly enough...everyone's answers are very interesting....I don't draw enough to get a career in art. I wish i was addicted to drawing because I would love to be a concept designer. i love the communication style of drawing. But i don't draw enough to get to such a level. On the bright side I'm currently in school learning the fundamentals of art. The school has gotten me out of my comfort zone....become more comfortable with color...

Jesus Saves!!