New Topic Respond to this Topic
Crimsonskies455
Crimsonskies455
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Audio Mastering Question Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 04:51 PM Reply

I just got done with a WIP version of a dnb track, and noticed something strange. My kick is simple, and I EQ'd it to cut off any frequency above about 150, and got a really nice bassy kick sound. On my brother's skull candy head phones, it sounds like a really bass rumbling kick, but on regular everyday ear buds it sounds almost blaring, and reminds me of a hardstyle kick. Is their any way I can master the kick to sound the same on head phones and on ear buds?

Lich
Lich
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Question Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 07:24 PM Reply

That's not going to be 100% possible to get it to sound exactly the same, each pair of Headphones or Earbuds make tracks sound slightly different because of the material used to make the Headphones/Buds & how they are designed to listen to stuff. But with some careful Mastering it can at least sound 'Decent' for both.

I'd say just to test it out, lower the volume of your kick slightly, widen it up until it sounds nearly as wide as your pads further with your Stereo Separation tools and cut off any Freq's below 20hz to start with and then see if it sounds better. It it does, reintroduce a little bit more bass (lower the cutoff to 17hz, then 15/13 etc. & raise the volume by around 0.3 DB each time) until you get exactly what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
w00tw00
w00tw00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Mastering Question Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 3/8/14 04:51 PM, Crimsonskies455 wrote: I just got done with a WIP version of a dnb track, and noticed something strange. My kick is simple, and I EQ'd it to cut off any frequency above about 150, and got a really nice bassy kick sound. On my brother's skull candy head phones, it sounds like a really bass rumbling kick, but on regular everyday ear buds it sounds almost blaring, and reminds me of a hardstyle kick. Is their any way I can master the kick to sound the same on head phones and on ear buds?

It's just the volume, you can try it out for yourself. The lower you have your ear buds the more exact and clear your song will be. The louder you set your song too (on your ear buds) the more distorted it becomes.

whatever.

Crimsonskies455
Crimsonskies455
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Question Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 09:17 PM Reply

It's just the volume, you can try it out for yourself. The lower you have your ear buds the more exact and clear your song will be. The louder you set your song too (on your ear buds) the more distorted it becomes.

Thank you so much for the reply!