00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Admins, stop blocking TOR

3,307 Views | 41 Replies

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 14:15:10

At 2/24/14 01:04 PM, jonthomson wrote: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

loooooooooooooooooooooool using tor for no reason and whining why a private website blocks you for doing so

You didn't even read the whole thread, jackass.

Jesus, I wonder why I even bothered coming here again, I've found way better forums that have way more posts with quality in them than this place.

fu

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 15:46:50

At 2/24/14 01:14 PM, supergandhi64 wrote:
At 2/24/14 11:55 AM, epicaldude wrote: We already told you kiddo why your thesis above is retarded. "Well adjusted" people who stand up against gangs, corruption, etc, are often placed in jail or murdered, if they do not hide well.
Funny How You Associate "Well Adjusted" With People Who Get Involved With Mexican Drug Trafficking Cartels . . . Also What Thesis Are You Talking About? I Haven't Presented Any Thesis

--supergandhi64

Excuse me, are you under 12 years old? What the fuck?

Try reading this again: a blogger, who EXPOSED (made it public) drug cartel operation and some real crimes of drug cartel, was murdered.

The "good guy" who warned others about crimes, was murdered.

How the fuck are you not getting this?

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 16:09:11

Hmmm...
This is the longest flame bait thread I've seen running without a mod to shut it down...
Speaking of, can we get a mod here?
This may be the first time where we need to request a mod to lock a thread, this has really gotten ridiculous.

This is a sig you dumbass.

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 16:22:47

At 2/23/14 10:31 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: If you're using Tor on here, you have something to hide.

I hate this attitude. The argument "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear" is rubbish and automatically assumes that an individual who wants his/her right to privacy must be doing something wrong.

Yes, I understand that the NG staff has the right to deny tor nodes if they so choose and there's nothing wrong with that. But assuming that people are up to no good because they want to use a tool like Tor is stupid. Yes, I'm sure NG has had problems with people abusing Tor, which is why Tor nodes are probably banned, but Tor itself is not bad. It's just a tool, akin to a knife. A knife if used wrong can cause harm, but it can also be a very useful and helpful utility.

BBS Signature

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 16:26:10

At 2/24/14 11:14 AM, epicaldude wrote: Maybe we should get more users from reddit and petition the admins to fix this problem.

Petition. You're funny.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 17:06:52

At 2/24/14 03:57 PM, supergandhi64 wrote:
At 2/24/14 03:46 PM, epicaldude wrote: How the fuck are you not getting this?
What I'm Not Getting Is What This Has To Do With Anything

--supergandhi64

Topic is that it would be nice to allow privacy-protected users, over TOR, to use NG (or just the website, not the forums even).

I said privacy is important and you said that it is not important, 11 hours ago.

So I given you example why people could want to use Tor to access NG content.

Sure this is their site and they can block who ever the like, Tor users, users from Russia, White users, Black users - it's their forum.

But I am asking to reconsider letting in Tor users - in some way that will not make it too easy to have forums spammed.
E.g. allow Tor users to web page, but not to forum, or not to log in (no posting etc).

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 17:31:05

At 2/24/14 11:55 AM, epicaldude wrote: Just one example after few seconds of googling:

http://www.mhpbooks.com/fourth-blogger-killed-by-mexican-cartel-opcartel-spokesman-on-the-run/

"
Mexican drug cartel Zetas killed and beheaded a blogger in Nuevo Laredo, a city “all but” controlled by the violent gang. The blogger “posted news of shootouts and other activities of the Zetas” on the blog El Vivo. He was found with a note ”This happened to me for not understanding that I shouldn’t report on the social networks.”

Techland reports that this is the fourth reported murder of a blogger since September by The Zetas
"

Sorry, I'm trying to get my head round this story in relation to your thread on Tor.

While this guy blogged information about Zetas, would Tor have saved his life? This looks like the Zetas knew the identity of the blogger, rather than tracking his IP and working out where he lived.

I don't see how this type of situation would arise on Newgrounds, either. Unless Wade was a member of the Zetas. But it's your choice to use their site.

BBS Signature

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 17:32:05

At 2/23/14 10:31 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: If you're using Tor on here, you have something to hide. Some of our most aggressive and malicious users on here (who I refuse to dignify by naming names) have used Tor to facilitate their bad behavior over long periods of time.

Common sense.

Like ma1achi.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 20:02:43

You could always PM one of the Admins and talk to them about it there if you're really serious about this stuff.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-02-24 20:02:57

Ignoring all the stupid in here, it boils down to this:

TOR has only ever brought widespread abuse and headaches to NG. There was a period of nearly a year straight when every single daily and weekly flash award was stolen by asshats using TOR to multi-vote, as well as persistant forum and review abuse from people using it to get around IP bans. At the time, it was not worth the admins' time and effort to distinguish between those IP's of TOR that were potential threats and those that weren't. Ergo, they blocked anything known to be affiliated with TOR, regardless of exactly what function any given IP had in relation to it.

Here's a thought: Just don't use computers that use proxies when you want to use NG. It's a lot simpler for you to do that than for the staff at NG to try to pick apart the can of worms that allowing some TOR-affiliated IP's would be.

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-08-27 16:17:42

At 2/24/14 08:02 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Ignoring all the stupid in here, it boils down to this:

TOR has only ever brought widespread abuse and headaches to NG. There was a period of nearly a year straight when every single daily and weekly flash award was stolen by asshats using TOR to multi-vote, as well as persistant forum and review abuse from people using it to get around IP bans. At the time, it was not worth the admins' time and effort to distinguish between those IP's of TOR that were potential threats and those that weren't. Ergo, they blocked anything known to be affiliated with TOR, regardless of exactly what function any given IP had in relation to it.

Here's a thought: Just don't use computers that use proxies when you want to use NG. It's a lot simpler for you to do that than for the staff at NG to try to pick apart the can of worms that allowing some TOR-affiliated IP's would be.

One topic is about allowing or blocking people who connect via tor.

Completely separate issue is to block IPs who still are just used by "one family" (as normally) for purposes of http/https, and juts happen to be part of tor network for for example IRC chat protocol. It's as logical as blocking computers that happen to help folding@home or seti@home or computers that are used to play counterstrike or host quake game servers.
In this issue, admin simply used wrong tor block list, if he wanted to dissallow browsing web from hidden origin then he should had used list of tor http/https exit nodes only.

Also, it is easy to allow to play games here via tor, while block say forum posting or voting while from tor.

Response to Admins, stop blocking TOR 2014-08-27 16:27:02

Tor = Abuse.

Plain and simple.