00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for Composers for a Game

1,224 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-11 11:51:14

Hello Everyone,

I have started development of my first game and I am looking for composers who would be interested.

The game will ideally have a variation of different types of music.
- Sci-Fi Post Apocalyptic
- Intense Action Scenes.
- Creepy and atmospheric horror.
- Small Amount of Drama.

If anyone would be interested, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you and best regards
Dpsmithy

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-11 13:36:29

I'm interested, but screenshots/concept art please? Would love to see what kind of aesthetic this game's going for. In due time, I'll share a track with you -- because it's in progress.

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-11 14:32:25

Hi. I might be interested, though I'm obviously new here.

Do you have any other details?

Please hit me up if you want a review!

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-11 16:56:26

Sounds awesome. It would be best to see at least some screenshots, or better yet gameplay. It would also be helpful to know what game genre this is. Platformer, top town, turn based. Also, is there a due date? Are there going to be multiple tracks, or just one? I'm interested, but more specs could make it so the music matches the game better.

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-12 05:09:08

Hello all,

Thank you so much for all the reply's I have received so far. I never expected such a huge amount of responses from everyone. My apologizes for the lack of information in relation to the game, allow me to talk a bit about it.

Development Stage: The game is currently in very early stages of development with the first test build one week from being sent to the test team. The test build will be of the first few levels where the test team will give feedback on to what they think so far. This is to make sure that the game is indeed fun and to make sure it is on the right track for players to enjoy. At this moment in time there is no deadline. This is why I thought of posting up on the forums looking for composers and artist to allow them time as oppose to having a shortcoming deadline.

Screenshots: I will provide a few screenshots of the game within the next 48 hours as requested by you guys so far.

Type of Game & Backstory: The game is a first person shooter, based in a post apocalyptic world, where the last of humanity reside within one Mega City, a city with many problems and is divided into multiple sectors from the Slums to Heavenly Heights where all the Corporation CEO's and Business Owners reside. Each sector of the city is not without it's problems, be it crime lords, terrorist activity, mutants and drugs. The city is slowly going out of control with the government and military losing more and more power with each passing year. A new president is elected, an ex-military General whom promises a change in the city and to make it where all crime is crushed and everyone will be equal. You play as the soldier who is going to make this a possibility.

Soundtrack: The soundtrack is going to consist of quite a few tracks as throughout the game settings will change that will require different music in order to fit in with the setting at that time of play. Throughout the game there is going to be more creepy moments that would require a more scary build up, there will be others that would be intense action firefights. As the player progresses through the game I would like the levels to start off with an atmospheric track that mixes in well with the setting at hand.

I will again post up some screenshots within the next 24-48 hours which I am sure will help in getting the atmosphere that I am trying to make within the levels that are near completion. Please note that the screenshots will again be of levels that are in early development and the likes of lighting, skybox and models will be only examples and will be changed throughout development.

Dpsmithy

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-12 08:48:29

I'm interested. I have a few ideas of what I think might work. I'll be checking back.

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-12 10:45:33

cool. seeing as this is your first game, i'd like to give you a few tips though, since i assume you're not too familiar with the process of developing full games yet.

first of all - don't be too eager. i would suggest not involving composers too early in development. good game music need to reflect the atmosphere and emotions of the gameplay experience. for this to work, the music must be shaped after the game, not the other way around. by waiting until a later stage in development, you as a developer will get a much clearer idea of exactly what kind of music you'd like, and the musicians can be inspired by the tone and setting of the actual game. this usually yields great results.
by the information given, i think it's still too early to get tailored music. i would consider getting some placeholder music for the time being, to give you a better sense of what music you'll need later.

also, no matter how dedicated and ambitious you are, there's always a risk of projects getting cancelled, for countless reasons. that's why it's never a good idea to involve too many people too early in development, especially since this seems to be a pretty big project.

just thought i'd share some of my experience. as you can see, there are loads of people willing to help you out - no need to rush anything

best of luck with your game!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-12 15:48:56

I'm definitely interested, but I agree with Schleif - ideally the music should come after the game has been developed to reflect the atmosphere needed. I don't have much experience for this in video game music (having only done music for one short game a friend of mine is developing), but I can't imagine that scoring for film would be that different. If you want a specific composer or style, you can select a composer earlier in the process, but don't get too eager to have finished music early in development (even blockbuster movies start out with placeholder music and didn't add the composer's music until the end of production).

Personally, I focus on classical and neo-romantic styles, but have written almost any style. Check out my website and let me know if anything there is the style you might like.

David

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-12 16:40:02

Good information. But being a game developer myself, I should warn you about overshooting your goal. If you're doing your first true game, make it simple. Don't try to make the next big game on your first try. Get the feel of the program before anything else. If you really know what you're doing, go ahead.

I think I might start working on one of the easier ones. I'm going to have to step up my game to compete with some of these guys. v0x, away!

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-14 19:13:48

Hey brother, feel free to look through my audio submissions, if you like anything, by all means use it. I also have some strange ambient stuff I made back in the day (not uploaded here) so if you are interested, let me know and I'll send you some stuff!

I also love just messing around making songs and sounds, so I'd be willing to create more too!

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-15 19:28:10

Interest but need picture or something.

Response to Looking for Composers for a Game 2014-02-18 09:47:11

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses to the thread. Never did I think I would get such a huge amount of responses within the last week and it is all very much appreciated. Thank you also for the advise that you haven given me when it comes to being a first time developer. Indeed I am not truly familiar with the process and I am simply going with my own instincts perhaps with some of them being wrong and I shall fix due to the wonderful advise that you have given.

I apologize for the delay on screenshots and responding to everyone, unfortunately Ireland was battered last week with storms which caused most services to be knocked out and only now recovering. Only as of today has my internet began to recover but it is still extremely slow but thankfully we had at least power. I will get screenshots posted as soon as possible for you guys and apologizes again for the delay on responding.

Dpsmithy