00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any good music programs out there?

1,047 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My old music program I use to use isnt working anymore and its pretty old, so Im just looking for some advice on a average to good program I can use so I can keep composing and creating.

Any suggestions?

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-21 11:30:14

At 8/21/13 10:43 AM, Vahnson wrote: My old music program I use to use isnt working anymore and its pretty old, so Im just looking for some advice on a average to good program I can use so I can keep composing and creating.

Any suggestions?

Do you mean a notation program like Sibelius or a DAW?

Some good notation programs are Sibelius and Finale (there's also a free one called Musescore)

For a DAW that is affordable and with a generous free trial, I would recommend Reaper. I personally use Cubase but everyone has their own opinion on which program is the best and why :)

What was the old program you were using?

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-21 11:33:33

I use FL Studio 9 and it does me well! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-21 18:51:58

At 8/21/13 10:43 AM, Vahnson wrote: My old music program I use to use isnt working anymore and its pretty old, so Im just looking for some advice on a average to good program I can use so I can keep composing and creating.

Any suggestions?

Depends on what you want, or what you work with.

In the notation department, there's Sibelius, Finale, and Notion. Each one has a different type of workflow. There's also Musescore, which is free, so that helps your wallet if you're a little low.

In the Digital Audio Workstation(DAW) department, there are a ton. Reaper, Logic, ReNoise, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Abelton - The list goes on for a good while. like notation programs each one has a different workflow and have different strengths and weaknesses, so much that people use several DAWs together for different purposes. I know Reaper is an unlimited demo(but if you like Reaper, support the team behind it; they're awesome) I know little else about other free DAWs out there.

Hope this helped you out a bit.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-22 03:47:30

I've tried Ableton and decided it wasn't for me. I prefer FL10 because it feels more fluid to me. It's really up to you though. I recommend simply testing the trial editions out and making the decision yourself.

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music.

[✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans.

Moving up the ladder.

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-22 06:09:11

Any suggestions?

It would've been amazing if you gave us some more information about what you want specifically. Do you want to write scores only using music notation software, or do you want a full-fledged DAW? Is there a budget involved? What previous software have you used and how much experience do you have in general? These kind of questions matter.

There's an enormous amount of software available, and many threads have been made about them before. If you have no specific wishes, a quick Google search might give you more fruitful results.

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-22 21:36:37

What was the old program you were using?

I was using MTV music generator...lol. Very old and not very good I know but I would like something similar to that.

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-22 21:38:50

There's an enormous amount of software available, and many threads have been made about them before. If you have no specific wishes, a quick Google search might give you more fruitful results.

I apologize for not being specific, I was kinda bummed out. I used MTV music generator for literally a decade or more and now I want to make music that sounds more pro but not crazy pro. I like videogame music, synthesized for the most part. Any suggestions?

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-22 22:19:56

I use ableton, but i also want to learn how to use fl studios, i havent touched much of fl, but i am loving ableton Live 9 so far. I suggest giving it a try.

Response to Any good music programs out there? 2013-08-22 23:05:38

Most of the big Dawgs have already been mentioned but...

If your looking for 8bit Famitracker is a great tool.
You only get 4 channels tho. It's free too.
You can even export music to a gameboy! (which I haven't tried because I don't have one :( )

good stuff

I'm a noob.