00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Copyright problems with song?

540 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Copyright problems with song? 2013-06-13 14:45:44

Hello Newgrounders, i am doing an animation that has the song: "Could you be loved" by Bob Marley as background, and i was wondering if i would have copyright problems with it, i'm not sure since Bob Marley already passed away, but i heard that the rights of the song goes to someone else after an artist dies. I also heard that if you give credit and provide a link to buy the song there is no problem, but i'm not so sure about that... So yeah, anyone knows if i would have copyright problems or not?

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Copyright problems with song? 2013-06-15 05:07:33

go ahead with mixing songs. No Copyright problem occur......

Response to Copyright problems with song? 2013-06-15 09:41:29

Generally US copyrights last the life of the author + 90 years. Audio recordings are a bit different though...

Via wikipedia:

"Before 1972, sound recordings were not subject to federal copyright, but copying was nonetheless regulated under various state torts and statutes, some of which had no duration limit. The Sound Recording Amendment of 1971 extended federal copyright to recordings fixed on or after February 15, 1972 (the effective date of the act), and declared that recordings fixed before that date would remain subject to state or common law copyright. The Copyright Act of 1976 maintained this until February 15, 2047, which was subsequently extended by the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act to the same date in 2067. As a result, no sound recording can reliably be considered in the public domain in the United States before that date, even if the recording was in existence before 1923 and even if it originated in another country where it has entered the public domain."

Response to Copyright problems with song? 2013-06-15 10:41:58

At 6/15/13 09:41 AM, th1rt3en wrote:
"As a result, no sound recording can reliably be considered in the public domain in the United States before that date, even if the recording was in existence before 1923 and even if it originated in another country where it has entered the public domain."

So that means i can't use it until 2067, right?

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Copyright problems with song? 2013-06-20 02:40:39

At 6/15/13 10:41 AM, Daker777NG wrote:
At 6/15/13 09:41 AM, th1rt3en wrote:
"As a result, no sound recording can reliably be considered in the public domain in the United States before that date, even if the recording was in existence before 1923 and even if it originated in another country where it has entered the public domain."
So that means i can't use it until 2067, right?

More than that. Copyright law is tricky. If you make an animation and it's really successful, you shouldn't have any copyrighted images on it because copyright law denotes that if you get any kind of revenue from it, they can sue you. Bob Marley passed away, but the company that own rights to what ever recording you want to use are probably still in business. Generally, the law is 90 years after the creator's death unless rights have been bought out or passed on to someone else. (It's a really tricky thing.)

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature