00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What are the software options?

548 Views | 4 Replies

What are the software options? 2013-06-12 13:29:04

What software do you need to make a game from scratch? Suppose you do everything by yourself, what all is involved? I'm not sure how to get started.

I realize this question is about more than just the programming, but I don't know where else to ask.

Response to What are the software options? 2013-06-12 15:49:28

What platform are you thinking about? Web programming, Flash, desktop, 3D/2D games etc...

Do you have a spesific programming language in mind?

How experienced are you with programming?

Response to What are the software options? 2013-06-12 16:09:24

At 6/12/13 01:29 PM, WorldGorger wrote: I realize this question is about more than just the programming, but I don't know where else to ask.

Regarding stuff that doesn't relate to programming, This is just what I've been using in the past few years
SFXR is probably going to be enough for sound effects, you can also use LMMS to post process whatever you get from it, but it's probably not needed.
Blender is very good for 3D, the exporters are a bit crap, or at least they were last time I tried to use it, however you might have some luck with fbx.
Synfig Studio is very good for 2D, especially if you plan to make animations, it does however suck at compositing, but you can use GIMP for that. if you plan to use it, you can find a lot of brushes that you are free to use in commercial purposes over at hawksmont and then have a look over their plugins there's bound to be something that's going to make your life easier.

Response to What are the software options? 2013-06-12 18:20:10

I meant for flash games, AS3 and all that. I forgot to mention that, my bad.

Response to What are the software options? 2013-06-12 18:34:16

You'll want the Flash forum then. Anything Flash-related, including AS3, goes there.