00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why don't we tip fast food workers?

5,363 Views | 45 Replies

So I just recalled the the diner scene from Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Pink explains why "he don't tip". In the scene he questions why people tip waiters but not workers at places like McDonald's. He only barely touches upon it in his long conversation about tipping, but it got me thinking.

Really, why don't we tip fast food workers? It's a much shittier job than being a waiter, yet while waiters get our sympathy, the people who bust their asses to produce a Big Mac for us in a minute don't. I mean, not that waiting tables is easy, because it isn't; but I have to hand it to the folks at McDonald's for the Shittiest Job Ever award. Why don't they get a little extra?

Discuss.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 15:25:56

In America wait staff make less than minimum wage that patrons supplement by tipping. This is why foreigners are notoriously bad tippers, they're not laughing about it like the movie Waiting, in their country a fairly aggressive minimum wage works with tipping which is usually viewed as a gift. Ms. Manners gave the advice that because a bad waiter can ruin a dining experience that tipping is usually a way to send a subtle message to just that waiter that they need to improve at their job or find another so tipping should be the full 15% or nothing.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 15:59:52

At 4/23/13 03:15 PM, T3XT wrote: So I just recalled the the diner scene
Discuss.

Because it's fast food. Nuff said.

ila

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:10:20

McDonalds employees don't do shit, hell, if McDonalds didn't bribe the heath inspector and the workers union, they'd be shut down. (apologies to anyone who works at McDonalds and actually works, i was speaking about the majority)

This is a sig you dumbass.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:16:29

I think that you don't tip fast food people because it keeps their taxes lower. If you recieve tips at a job, you are expected to pay some bullshit ( I think %15 of your daily sales) whether you make it or not.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:18:22

One time a guy gave me ten bucks cause of the mess at his table I had to clean.
It was really cool.
So I guess it was kinda a tip.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:18:36

I often get offered tips at Subway, and I just tell them that we're not allowed to accept them. Which we're not, so they just usually put it in the charity box instead.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:20:12

The question is why should we tip at all?

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:25:27

Cause they spit in your food and get your order wrong anyway.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:27:01

Wait a sec... I've ben giving fast food workers 20s all this time AND WE DONT EVEN HAF TO TIP THEMM????!!

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:27:56

At 4/23/13 04:20 PM, satanbrain wrote: The question is why should we tip at all?

People originally started tipping to get ahead of the line at bars and be served first.

Basically an old form of pay-to-win.

Nowadays tipping is expected of you.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:30:03

As it was said before, I believe we don't tip people in fast food restaurants because they don't really serve our table or anything, they just stand behind the counter and then slap some food on a tray whereas in a restaurant the waiter 'services' you and it's common to tip them for the service

I'm not talking about blowjobs

Also, I am not saying that we shouldn't tip fast food workers or that they don't deserve it but it just seems that it's just tradition to tip waiters in restaurants and not in fast food joints

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:40:00

I wouldn't be surprised if it was company policy that employees can't accept tips. Though due to the size of the company, I doubt anyone would notice.

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 16:58:25

At 4/23/13 03:17 PM, Cootie wrote: Fast food workers make the minimum wage, servers actually make LESS than minimum wage.

Yes, but that's only because we tip them.

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 17:09:59

At 4/23/13 04:02 PM, entropy wrote: Cashiers at fast food places do fairly simple tasks and don't need to move around too much, and get paid minimum wage for it. Thats good pay for simple work, especially considering the current state of the economy. So they deserve what money they get.

I disagree. I work in a restaurant and have for 2 years. Waiters get less than minimum wage BECAUSE they get tips. Besides, it's entirely up to the restaurant's owner to pay their waiters minimum wage or not. I used to work at a restaurant where waiters didn't get paid at all because they got tipped so much that they didn't need a wage. If the waiters suddenly stopped getting tipped, however, owners would be obligated by law to pay their waiters minimum wage or more. So stop saying they need their tips, because they don't. It's a way for owners to pay less.
Still, it is true that waiters make a lot more money from their tips than from their wage.
But I will have you know that most of the work in a restaurant happens in the kitchen. So the real question is : why don't we pay chefs and cooks? Are they not deserving of a tip? Being a waiter is the easiest thing in a restaurant, except being the guy who fills the customer's water glasses. Being a chef actually demands that you make the dish, while a waiter only brings it to the table. It's unfair when you think of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 17:25:13

At 4/23/13 03:15 PM, T3XT wrote: So I just recalled the the diner scene from Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Pink explains why "he don't tip". In the scene he questions why people tip waiters but not workers at places like McDonald's. He only barely touches upon it in his long conversation about tipping, but it got me thinking.

ugh, I hate when people reference that scene as their explanation as to why they don't tip. It's so irritating.

Really, why don't we tip fast food workers? It's a much shittier job than being a waiter, yet while waiters get our sympathy, the people who bust their asses to produce a Big Mac for us in a minute don't. I mean, not that waiting tables is easy, because it isn't; but I have to hand it to the folks at McDonald's for the Shittiest Job Ever award. Why don't they get a little extra?

We don't tip them because they make at least minimum wage. There's a loophole in the labor laws regarding tipping that restaurants exploit in order to not have to pay a waiter minimum wage because of tips. Also, arguably a waiter does do more work, hopping from table to table. As for fast food works, they're pretty much idle in one place. Cashiers stay at the register, drive-thru stay at the drive-thru window. As for the actual cookers of the food, they're the ones moving around, we should be tipping THEM theoretically.

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157

You shouldn't have done that....

Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 17:30:57

I tip only if they go above and beyond the call of duty. Like if they throw in an extra cup of BBQ sauce or throw in an extra nugget.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 18:40:55

If I had enough money to tip, I wouldn't be eating at McDonalds.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 18:42:26

I hate people who are against tipping. It's not that big a deal you cheap bastards.

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 18:42:31

At 4/23/13 06:40 PM, CacheHelper wrote: If I had enough money to tip, I wouldn't be eating at McDonalds.

What are you talking about? No matter how rich you might be, Chicken McNuggets are always delicious...

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 18:46:41

Totally contrary to the stereotype, fast food chains are so desperate for public approval and good staff, that they treat their employees surprisingly well. We don't tip them because there's no need.

nobody gets tips where I live hah

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 18:47:43

At 4/23/13 06:40 PM, CacheHelper wrote: If I had enough money to tip, I wouldn't be eating at McDonalds.

If i had enough money to tip I would be wiping my ass with 20 dollar bills

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 22:53:18

At 4/23/13 10:01 PM, Scotty9193 wrote:
At 4/23/13 06:42 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: I hate people who are against tipping. It's not that big a deal you cheap bastards.
Because some of us are already living off of Ramen...

Then I don't know why you'd be eating in restaurants.

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 23:09:22

I cant remember the last time I or someonene who was with me tipped someone.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 23:19:36

Fast food workers don't come to your table, you come to them. A waiter takes time to walk all the way to your table and stuff.

Also, actual waiters don't get paid the minimum wage, they make up with that in tips.

LORD OF MOOSE 2004

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 23:23:59

I can see how tipping is important in the US, but in Canada we don't tip, because of two reasons: 1 taxes, 2 in Canada minimum wage is over $10 per hour and no one can be paid less, so tipping could make a minimum wage worker's income equal or over $20 per hour and that's just wrong.

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-23 23:41:55

At 4/23/13 03:15 PM, T3XT wrote:
Really, why don't we tip fast food workers?

I personally don't tip the fast food workers in my town because the fast food workers in my town suck.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-24 00:05:33

At 4/23/13 03:15 PM, T3XT wrote:
Really, why don't we tip fast food workers? It's a much shittier job than being a waiter

I beg to differ. Waiters/waitresses, especially during the busier hours, have to handle multiple tables at the same time - taking orders, giving the orders to the chefs, bringing food and drinks to the table, taking plates to the kitchen between courses (cleaning up the remaining plates, silverware, used napkins, etc - you would not believe the messes that some people leave behind - is a job for the host/hostess), giving the bill that the waiter/waitress has to document before the group leaves - all that times five or six since they usually take that many tables at a time during the busy hours, plus hosts/hostesses and waiters/waitresses have to stay upbeat the entire time and must not display any sort of a moody attitude toward or in front of the customers. I've seen fast-food workers, particularly at burger joints, with really horrible attitudes that they show in front of the customers - they gave customers a cold attitude which is a definite "don't do" in eat-in resturants; I understand that not all fast-food resturants allow this, but eat-in resturants put more emphasis on it since employee-customer interactions are considerably more frequent. Also, "under a minute" being difficult my ass - the food is already pre-cooked, and all the employees have to do is maybe reheat it and stick it in a bag to give to the customer.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-24 00:10:31

At 4/23/13 04:35 PM, zag wrote: The reasons for not tipping a fast food worker are pretty much common sense.
They don't do anything besides hand you your food. You're expected to grab your food from the counter, fill your own drink and clean your own table. An actual waiter will do those things for you, so they deserve a tip.

Actually, cleaning the tables is the host's/hostess' job.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Why don't we tip fast food workers? 2013-04-24 00:34:40

At 4/23/13 05:30 PM, gasmask3 wrote: I tip only if they go above and beyond the call of duty. Like if they throw in an extra cup of BBQ sauce or throw in an extra nugget.
or throw in an extra nugget.

standing there at the counter, counting your nuggets... "Ooooh, fuck, NO TIP FOR YOU, RIGHT NUMBER OF NUGGETS!"

Threads to remember: Dickneck, Penicorns, SirTom93's School Incident, and EyeLovePoozy's thread about his job.