00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

internationalizat ion?!

3,877 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-18 21:41:27

hi all!
I have a little question.
what's up with all the text fields for submissions?
why I cant use my language symbols?
I have a song named on my language, but I can't publish it!
is the only way is use the weird "transtlit"?
and my language not alone for this..
I cant use "wünsche", I must replace it on fkcn "U"
I cant use "Ð>ожÑOE", it is self-deleting and looks even like this one on a screenshot.
it's disgusting!

internationalizat ion?!

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-18 22:12:19

Yeah, this has been a problem for a while now. The staff's been promising a fix, but we're all still waiting for it...

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-19 04:53:48

Hopefully it's just a problem with how the characters are displayed, so once they get the issue fixed everything that looks weird now will start looking like it should be. Also waiting for this fix, it would make it a lot easier to talk n different languages via PM. :)

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-19 06:47:15

At 2/18/13 09:41 PM, alexxmmt wrote: I cant use "wÃf¼nsche", I must replace it on fkcn "U"

You can just type "wuensche" for now. Same thing. ;)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-19 06:59:05

At 2/19/13 06:47 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 2/18/13 09:41 PM, alexxmmt wrote: I cant use "wÃffÃ'¼nsche", I must replace it on fkcn "U"

that's ok with english-like alphabets, but you can't even read russian letters: воÑ' как можно ÑtÑ'о-Ñ'о здеÑÑOE пиÑаÑ'ÑOE Ñ'аким ÑзÑ<ком?

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-19 07:44:45

At 2/19/13 06:59 AM, alexxmmt wrote:
At 2/18/13 09:41 PM, alexxmmt wrote: I cant use "wÃfffÃf'Ã'¼nsche", I must replace it on fkcn "U"
that's ok with english-like alphabets, but you can't even read russian letters

That's true. But you can transcribe/transliterate kyrillic letters into latin letters.

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-19 08:09:21

At 2/19/13 07:44 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 2/18/13 09:41 PM, alexxmmt wrote: I cant use "wÃffffÃff'Ãf'Ã'¼nsche", I must replace it on fkcn "U"
That's true. But you can transcribe/transliterate kyrillic letters into latin letters.

huh. turn your statement around :) and:
why I don't offer you to transcribe/transliterate your letters into simplidied chinese, lol? ;)
it sounds so weird, isn't it? I think that allowing of use national symbols and letters is a big step to friendship of nations, yea :)

indeed of understand, I can write the descriptions for my submissions, it's not a problem despite my level of language knowledge.
but I want have a possibility to publish my works named as they named, w/o any kind of transliterate/translations or any other kind of fit for "rules".

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-02-19 14:19:53

At 2/19/13 08:53 AM, deckheadtottie wrote: On a side note, using non-English symbols in your title could be detrimental to the number of views you receive, as the majority of users on NG are English speaking and will enter search terms using the Latin alphabet.

but we all also have the tags that might be english, so the title isn't so critical I think.

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-05 07:40:32

Testing for changes.

ÐYÑEUовеÑEUка изменений.

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-05 07:44:01

ÃYÃ'EUþòõÃ'EUúð ø÷üõýõýøù.

I can only describe it like this:

internationalizat ion?!

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-05 08:09:21

At 3/5/13 07:44 AM, alexxmmt wrote: I can only describe it like this:

An image is a thousand words :D

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-06 06:13:49

At 2/19/13 08:09 AM, alexxmmt wrote:
At 2/19/13 07:44 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 2/18/13 09:41 PM, alexxmmt wrote: I cant use "wÃfffffÃfff'Ãff'Ãf'Ã'¼nsche", I must replace it on fkcn "U"
huh. turn your statement around :) and:
why I don't offer you to transcribe/transliterate your letters into simplidied chinese, lol? ;)

This is an US-American site, so if you want to use it, you have to swallow the bitter pill. If I go to a chinese or russian site, I expect it to be in chinese or russian. If I got to an english site, I expect it to be english...

But yes, I understand you. I really would like to be able to use Umlauts or the Euro-Symbol... hell, not even the Pound Stirling symbol works right now. :(

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-06 06:47:50

At 3/6/13 06:13 AM, Haggard wrote: This is an US-American site, so if you want to use it, you have to swallow the bitter pill. If I go to a chinese or russian site, I expect it to be in chinese or russian. If I got to an english site, I expect it to be english...

At the same time though, pretty much all foreign websites support latin characters. ;) Even if you post regularly in English it's useful being able to send PMs and comment on newspost in other languages. Looking forward to a fix...

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-06 08:17:14

At 3/6/13 06:47 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/6/13 06:13 AM, Haggard wrote: This is an US-American site, so if you want to use it, you have to swallow the bitter pill. If I go to a chinese or russian site, I expect it to be in chinese or russian. If I got to an english site, I expect it to be english...
At the same time though, pretty much all foreign websites support latin characters. ;)

It's most likely because the most common language is english... and english is written in latin characters. Also, I really doubt that you can code HTML in any other language than english. :P

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-06 08:22:00

At 3/6/13 08:17 AM, Haggard wrote: It's most likely because the most common language is english... and english is written in latin characters. Also, I really doubt that you can code HTML in any other language than english. :P

That's true. Come to think of it, all major programming languages seem to use English for their code. It really is dominant...

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-25 06:17:59

Some changes?
Testing, ТеÑÑ'инг

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-25 09:20:11

At 3/25/13 06:17 AM, alexxmmt wrote: Some changes?
Testing, âõÃ'Ã''øýó

Why exactly do you want to post in a language other than English so badly anyway? You plainly can speak English well enough to understand and use it on an English-speaking website, so what's so bad about just doing so?

Even if you could use Russian letters, there's already a forum rule against "posting in a language other than English for the sole purpose of excluding the majority of the userbase", and if all your submission titles are in Russian as well, I doubt the staff would see it as anything besides an attempt at excluding most of the userbase from finding your stuff too.

Hell, come to think of it, that's probably why they're so reluctant to change it in the first place. There's really no good reason I can think of for enabling non-Latin letters, since all people would do with them is hide offensive content / posts by using languages none of the mods / staff speak.

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-25 10:44:10

At 3/25/13 09:20 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Hell, come to think of it, that's probably why they're so reluctant to change it in the first place. There's really no good reason I can think of for enabling non-Latin letters, since all people would do with them is hide offensive content / posts by using languages none of the mods / staff speak.

If you need good reasons, how about including symbols for different currencies, degrees, complex equations, code, and communicating through PM with your native language. If you live in a non-English country and need to send or post an address, this does complicate matters as well.

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-25 13:12:57

At 3/25/13 09:20 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Hell, come to think of it, that's probably why they're so reluctant to change it in the first place. There's really no good reason I can think of for enabling non-Latin letters

You are propably right. Who on earth would want to write symbols like £ (Pound Sterling) or â'¬ (Euro) ?
And it really doesn't matter that all those characters work on your userpage (in a newspost), but not on the forums. Who needs consistency anyway?

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-25 19:53:43

At 3/25/13 01:12 PM, Haggard wrote: You are probably right. Who on earth would want to write symbols like Ã'£ (Pound Sterling) or â'¬ (Euro) ?

Those are symbols. I'm talking about letters. The two are different for exactly the reason you're getting at.

And it really doesn't matter that all those characters work on your userpage (in a newspost), but not on the forums. Who needs consistency anyway?

And don't get me wrong; this bit is indeed daft. Why have bits of unicode work on some areas of the site, but not others? Especially the part of the site most people use to actually talk to each other with.

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-26 04:35:32

At 3/25/13 07:53 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Those are symbols. I'm talking about letters. The two are different for exactly the reason you're getting at.

You don't need to speak in a foreign language for the letters to be useful though: addresses.

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-27 03:00:00

looks like a war, nah?
okay, just for example:
I have a buddy here, he hasn't an ICQ, skype, facebook or any other kind of messaging board.
he only has an account on youtube and here, on newgrounds.
this buddy is russian. how to PM him? translit?
"tak vy poprobuyte razobrat chto za slova na nem napisany" - it's all looks the same as I start write english words in russian letters, lol.
the other side: name of works published there.
I have a song, named in russian. and you know what? not only is the need to name it in translit, or translation, so, it was a couple of times when it was saved with broken ID3-tag. at now, it was fixed, as I see.

yea I understand that english is an international language, but symbols, umlauts, and even the support of other alphabetical letters are necessary things, at least at PM's and names of works.

@ Tom Fulp: what do you think about all these things?

-

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-27 03:21:58

At 3/25/13 07:53 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 3/25/13 01:12 PM, Haggard wrote: You are probably right. Who on earth would want to write symbols like Ãf'Ã'£ (Pound Sterling) or Ãf¢'Ã'¬ (Euro) ?
Those are symbols. I'm talking about letters. The two are different for exactly the reason you're getting at.

Aren't letters just symbols as well? :P
Also, Pound Sterling and the Euro sign have Unicodes assigned to them. So, it's not like anybody would ask for witchcraft to be performed on this site.

And don't get me wrong; this bit is indeed daft. Why have bits of unicode work on some areas of the site, but not others? Especially the part of the site most people use to actually talk to each other with.

It get's even better: Before the redesign, it was no problem at all to write umlauts, Pound Sterling or Euro.

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-27 04:10:17

At 3/27/13 03:00 AM, alexxmmt wrote: yea I understand that english is an international language, but symbols, umlauts, and even the support of other alphabetical letters are necessary things, at least at PM's and names of works.

Great points! I also stick to the PM system for pretty much all IM purposes, in Swedish occasionally, and it would be much easier to write with all characters supported.

I think you need to write ^ without spaces for it to work, like this: @username

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-27 08:06:08

At 3/27/13 04:10 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/27/13 03:00 AM, alexxmmt wrote: @ Tom Fulp: what do you think about all these things?
I think you need to write ^ without spaces for it to work, like this: @username

... although Tom doesn't need to have the final word in every single WiHT thread.
And for what? Enabling Russian characters on a US English speaking site so you can have audio track with an unsearchable title?

I'd like to see problems that arise frequently sorted, like latin chars and currency sorted, rather than stuff that crops up because 1 person makes a big deal about something a small minority of people are using.

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-27 16:42:09

At 3/27/13 03:21 AM, Haggard wrote: Aren't letters just symbols as well? :P

Not from the perspective of what the English language considers intelligible, they aren't. Symbols have uses in ordinary English conversations; kyrillic letters don't.

It get's even better: Before the redesign, it was no problem at all to write umlauts, Pound Sterling or Euro.

Don't forget the double-dotted i that people used to bypass the n-word filter.

(God I miss that one... XD )

At 3/27/13 03:00 AM, alexxmmt wrote: I have a buddy here, he hasn't an ICQ, skype, facebook or any other kind of messaging board.

Have him sign up to Facebook. Or use Youtube to talk to each other since that site can display Russian letters. Problem solved.

I have a song, named in russian. and you know what? not only is the need to name it in translit, or translation, so, it was a couple of times when it was saved with broken ID3-tag. at now, it was fixed, as I see.

Now you know about the language restrictions here, you can just save a copy of anything you want to share here under an English name as well as its 'real' name. Problem also solved.

The lack of symbol-related unicode support has been a problem on here since the last redesign at least (probably longer), so I doubt it's very high up on Tom's list of things to do, if it's even there at all.

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-28 03:57:36

At 3/27/13 04:42 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 3/27/13 03:21 AM, Haggard wrote: Aren't letters just symbols as well? :P
Not from the perspective of what the English language considers intelligible, they aren't. Symbols have uses in ordinary English conversations; kyrillic letters don't.

Eh, I was trying to be "philosophical" about that. Letters are symbols, since the letters only are symbols of the phonemes we call "language". But I guess this is highly off-topic. ^^

Don't forget the double-dotted i that people used to bypass the n-word filter.

(God I miss that one... XD )

Oh yeah. ALT+139. But there's also a two dotted 'y': ALT+152. Now THAT'S a character I really miss. ;)

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-28 05:20:58

For most languages you can just translate into English. If you're seeking to exclude yourself you've come to the wrong place.
Use currency codes (GBP, EUR) for money.

I don't think it's worth it to increase text storage space for special cases like addresses.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-28 06:27:07

At 3/27/13 04:42 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Have him sign up to Facebook. Or use Youtube to talk to each other since that site can display Russian letters. Problem solved.

You're actually recommending people stop using NG in favor of other social communities rather than implement support for foreign characters?

BBS Signature

Response to internationalizat ion?! 2013-03-29 09:20:52

At 3/28/13 05:20 AM, Jin wrote: I don't think it's worth it to increase text storage space for special cases like addresses.

"Text storage space"? What on earth are you talking about? It's just a matter of chosing the right encoding for characters (the same encoding used on the userpages btw).