00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GrawlixMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

need some help with my video game

593 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

need some help with my video game 2013-01-18 14:09:17

this is a game that I'm working on as a college assignment, but there's a few issues I have with it at the moment.

it's mostly bug free from what I can tell, but I'd like to know how to add some things

things I want to add:
using E (which currently swings a sword) kills the goblins
the player to stop moving when he dies
a reset game function (I tried doing this with xstart and ystart, but that just crunched all the symbols into the center of the stage)
goblins to patrol back and forwards

there also seems to be a bug that slowly moves all the objects around when the background moves. I've been scratching my head on that one for a while, but I've got no idea what's causing it.

any advice/feedback is awesome, any bugs you find, obviously tell me, that'd be awesome.

I'll probably do some more work on this over time and submit it to newgrounds when it's done. y'know... without the copyrighted content and music.

----
DOWNLOAD LINKS
----

Google docs: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4OhtTMaoVPfMXlXVnRJcUtzaGc/
edit

mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?42frc571qn2i2fd

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-18 17:14:37

At 1/18/13 02:09 PM, voter96 wrote: this is a game that I'm working on as a college assignment, but there's a few issues I have with it at the moment.

Stop right there, we're not here to do your homework. If your education provides insufficient material for you to study you can ask specific questions.

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 08:55:04

At 1/18/13 05:14 PM, Sandremss128 wrote:
At 1/18/13 02:09 PM, voter96 wrote: this is a game that I'm working on as a college assignment, but there's a few issues I have with it at the moment.
Stop right there, we're not here to do your homework. If your education provides insufficient material for you to study you can ask specific questions.

but I did ask about a specific problem, there are objects in the game that move where they aren't supposed to. doors go out of line with the walls. it's pretty problematic, because it means the player can just walk around them into areas they shouldn't be able to. that was the main issue, everything else I was just asking because I was here and I thought I should.

I can't give you specific details about it, because according to my knowledge and what I've been taught, it should all work perfectly, but it doesn't. I don't understand what I've done wrong here.

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 11:34:58

At 1/18/13 02:09 PM, voter96 wrote: it's mostly bug free from what I can tell, but I'd like to know how to add some things

If I learned anything from Microsoft, any piece of software is bug free if you insist hard enough that they are actually features.

Why not post some code* related to the problem(s) and upload your swf to the dumping grounds?

* For the love of god, use the damned code tags.

I know you posted the download links, but honestly, I'm not invested enough to go to an external site to look at anything.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 12:51:52

with all due respect i think your code is piece of crap:

GoalConfineDecor.x -= xSpeed;
					GoalConfineDecor.y -= ySpeed;
					WorldDec1.x -= xSpeed;
					WorldDec1.y -= ySpeed;
					finalKey.x -= xSpeed;
					finalKey.y -= ySpeed;
					door1.x -= xSpeed;
					door1.y -= ySpeed;
					door2.x -= xSpeed;
					door2.y -= ySpeed;
					door3.x -= xSpeed;
					door3.y -= ySpeed;
					door4.x -= xSpeed;
					door4.y -= ySpeed;
					door5.x -= xSpeed;
					door5.y -= ySpeed;
					door6.x -= xSpeed;
					door6.y -= ySpeed;
					door7.x -= xSpeed;
					door7.y -= ySpeed;
					diningTable.x -= xSpeed;
					diningTable.y -= ySpeed;

wtf is this supposed to be? Do you even know what as3 is capable of?

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 15:12:46

At 1/19/13 12:51 PM, nitokov wrote: wtf is this supposed to be? Do you even know what as3 is capable of?

no, for the love of god, please tell me how I can shorten that

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 15:19:49

At 1/19/13 03:12 PM, voter96 wrote:
At 1/19/13 12:51 PM, nitokov wrote: wtf is this supposed to be? Do you even know what as3 is capable of?
no, for the love of god, please tell me how I can shorten that

Stick it into an array, and use a for loop to iterate through each element

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 15:23:53

At 1/19/13 11:34 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: * For the love of god, use the damned code tags. I know you posted the download links, but honestly, I'm not invested enough to go to an external site to look at anything.

because I don't know what's causing it, so I wouldn't know what to tag.
Everything is being moved around the character when the character hits the edge of the screen through xSpeed and ySpeed in order for the map to move (which I have just been informed is a crap way of doing it)
some things aren't moving at the same speed, which means that they're going out of place.

Response to need some help with my video game 2013-01-19 18:15:41

At 1/19/13 03:23 PM, voter96 wrote: because I don't know what's causing it, so I wouldn't know what to tag.
Everything is being moved around the character when the character hits the edge of the screen through xSpeed and ySpeed in order for the map to move (which I have just been informed is a crap way of doing it)
some things aren't moving at the same speed, which means that they're going out of place.

yeah, it's a crap way of doing it. One of the main benefits to OOP is the fact that everything's separated into logical areas. The UI class is aware of the Player class because the Player class contains the health which the UI needs to display. The Player class is aware of the Keyboard class and Mouse class, which is needed for controls, and those two classes are aware of nothing.

make sense?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature