00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Getting more serious about Vinyl

1,292 Views | 18 Replies

Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 14:49:48

It seems cheaper than every other route to a higher quality music listening experience. $10 per record sounds good and every rotting corpse it pretty much giving up their vinyl player. Apparently my Granddad had a nice one too but it got taken for some reason. It also seems easy to set up and I like the idea of having a vinyl collection. I'd still like to upgrade my PC audio equipment because free music but I'm not too fussed at this point seeing as I have some halfway decent headphones.

Thoughts? Help maybe?

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 14:52:52

One thing you hipsters have forgotten is that records get scratched up and dusty with frequent use.

Therefore the sound quality degrades with heavy use.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 14:54:29

At 12/25/12 02:52 PM, Painbringer wrote: One thing you hipsters have forgotten is that records get scratched up and dusty with frequent use.

Not with careful use. Why am I a hipster, Sir?

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 14:59:41

At 12/25/12 02:57 PM, Scary wrote: you're not, hes dumb

I guess I'm not that good with all the latest buzzwords.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 15:00:25

At 12/25/12 02:59 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 12/25/12 02:57 PM, Scary wrote: you're not, hes dumb
I guess I'm not that good with all the latest buzzwords.

pleb

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 15:08:09

At 12/25/12 03:00 PM, TheColourAwsome wrote: pleb

So now I'm a welfarino from ancient Roman times?

I learned that from the game Caesar 2.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 15:10:11

bah I just download my music for free because I don't care as long as I have something to listen to.

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 15:30:32

At 12/25/12 02:52 PM, Painbringer wrote: One thing you hipsters have forgotten is that records get scratched up and dusty with frequent use.

Only if youre too stupid to use/store it properly

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 15:41:33

At 12/25/12 03:36 PM, Urban-Champion wrote: Cheaper? Hmm, not if you count buying all the components for a decent vinyl sound system. And they degrade simply by replaying the vinyl over time. The grooves also easily attract dust, which can cause interference. Being cautious with them just prevents them from deteriorating before your eyes, and there are so many pre-cautions you have to take with them to maximize the lifespan of your vinyls. In the end, considering the availability of computers and the more obscure nature of vinyl sound systems, digital just seems like the more ideal option, considering how easy it has become to acquire music for free, despite how dodgy the copies may be.

And I will admit, having a physical copy of something opposed to having said copy within the confines of a hard drive is certainly more rewarding in the longrun.

With care how long do you think a regularly played record could last? I also don't plan on never listening to downloaded music again. If I find I listen to something quite often(Youtube) and can't find a copy online I'll buy it on CD. Wouldn't it be the same case for vinyl? There's a lot for songs I want to hear in more depth and higher quality. Tah fo yo help

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 16:08:44

Consider investing in high-grade components for your vinyl sound system if you want to maximize the potential clarity and prevent the degeneration of analogue sound.

And yeah, most new-production vinyls have alternate CD-copies available, occasionally sold as a pack in bonus with the vinyl copy as well.

I have done a bit of research.
http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/fiedy/my_attempt_at_c reating_a_guide_to_vinyl_to_answer/
http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/xs9yh/baller_on_a_bud get_the_cheap_setup_thread/
and a few other articles hence what I meant about getting somewhat serious about vinyl. I know not to go after crap with vintage looks and such. I've read about the components what to go for. I've asked around for turntables and want to go have a look at some thrift stores and things. This turntable looks pretty good too much it's not in full production yet.

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 20:42:09

How about download it for free or yt convert it.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 20:44:37

At 12/25/12 08:31 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Don't they have machines that convert music from a record into an mp3? Idk if the sound is inferior to the original though.

They do and the turntables are apparently shit. There's no reason to convert a record to digital when the sound will be degraded anyway. You'd get better quality with a FLAC file.

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 20:46:00

At 12/25/12 08:43 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 12/25/12 08:42 PM, tsukikomi wrote: yt convert it
do people really do this

i really hope not

If they can't find proper free mp3's.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 21:07:15

At 12/25/12 08:42 PM, tsukikomi wrote: How about download it for free or yt convert it.

Because converting it compresses the audio quality and it sounds like shit.

At 12/25/12 08:45 PM, Travis wrote: Correct term for someone who likes vinyl (because they aren't fucking hipsters) is "audiophile."

Just saying.

Audiophile means obsessed with audio quality. Liking vinyl doesn't have a term. You don't have to call someone a name because they something.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-25 21:09:39

At 12/25/12 08:42 PM, tsukikomi wrote: How about download it for free or yt convert it.

240p = 60kbps
320p/480p = 128kbps
720p+ = 152kbps

If you're that desperate at least make sure you find a high quality video to rip. Usually if I can't find a file of something I'll just buy it.

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-26 17:37:05

I love records, the sound of vinyl crackling really calms me down. Anyone else feel this wau?

BBS Signature

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-26 18:16:16

Vinyl is always better than cd's, cd's contain fake digitalized music which all sounds bad, the only exception is Pink Floyd.

-notsupergandhi64

filler text

Response to Getting more serious about Vinyl 2012-12-26 18:21:16

ok, yah i'm getting bored of this now

filler text