00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Easiest Genre to Make?

8,677 Views | 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 08:13:38

I was wondering, in your own opinion, what's the easiest music genre to produce? I'm not saying that there are specific genres that are easy to make. Let's be honest, producing a 4-4 beat techno song could be difficult to produce.

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 08:45:07

Lowercase probably.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 08:52:55

At 12/25/12 08:45 AM, sorohanro wrote: Lowercase probably.

To be fair, all form of minimalist music (extreme or not) is pretty easy.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 08:57:42

definitely ambient.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 11:03:47

At 12/25/12 08:52 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 12/25/12 08:45 AM, sorohanro wrote: Lowercase probably.
To be fair, all form of minimalist music (extreme or not) is pretty easy.

I dunno...handling a piece of paper is about as easy as it gets. A lot of minimalist pieces are way more complex than that.

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 11:25:07

I think the post was not made with the intention of finding the easiest genre per se but the easiest appreciated by most people.
I think it depends on the person, while i might find psychedelic easy and happy tunes hard some people will find the complete opposite, buuut if you did mean the absolute easiest genre playing with paper in front of a mic sounds hilarious and easy xD

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 11:29:34

At 12/25/12 11:25 AM, DivoFST wrote: buuut if you did mean the absolute easiest genre playing with paper in front of a mic sounds hilarious and easy xD

Of course that easy, but what's outstanding is the "concept", the "idea".
Just like modern art...

SUCK MY KICK

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 11:47:03

At 12/25/12 11:29 AM, Lachi wrote:
At 12/25/12 11:25 AM, DivoFST wrote: buuut if you did mean the absolute easiest genre playing with paper in front of a mic sounds hilarious and easy xD
Of course that easy, but what's outstanding is the "concept", the "idea".
Just like modern art...

Not complaining about that, actually most form of "Extreme art" are laughable before it can be appreciated and sometimes it cant even pass the funny phase, I had to hear The Mars Volta Cds 3 or 4 times before my stupid brain could grasp how awesome they are.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 16:02:44

At 12/25/12 08:57 AM, Buoy wrote: definitely ambient.

Only minimalistic ambient. Other kinds are exceedingly difficult to make.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 17:14:53

doing midi rips is pretty easy and fun when starting out. (still was too hard for me though(

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 17:17:56

At 12/25/12 05:14 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: doing midi rips is pretty easy and fun when starting out. (still was too hard for me though(

I don't think MIDI rips are considered as a genre...?

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 17:32:00

whatever genre you like the most is the easiest to make

nah jk dubstep is

p.s. i am gay

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 17:37:02

Anything spammy, including: drone music and experimental classical music [Sunn O))), Yves Klein, Ligeti, Steve Reich, John Cage, Morton Feldman, Arnold Schoenberg...], "spambient" (Steve Roach, Lustmord, Brian Eno, and MANY, many others), pop, Three Chords and the Truth, anything "lo-fi" enough to be considered trv and kvlt (yes, Black Metal, most hardcore punk, Funeral Doom Metal, Depressive Black Metal, Blackened Doom Metal, Ambient/Funeral Doom, Ambient/Black Metal, Black Ambient, Drone Metal, and a combination of any of the above), noise music like Merzbow, my own spammy side projects Nullgrounds Asylum (Aozora, Unholy Seer) and some of my submissions (especially early ones) as well. Oh, I forgot field recordings, Industrial (banging your head on a metal wall while recording yourself screaming from the pain counts too), the worst House, Dubstep, Glitch, "lowercase", DnB, hardcore, Techno, etc.

Also, Buoy.

Now go ahead and make your own band. :P
KKS

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 17:57:55

At 12/25/12 04:02 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:
At 12/25/12 08:57 AM, Buoy wrote: definitely ambient.
Only minimalistic ambient. Other kinds are exceedingly difficult to make.

Of course you can mix genres to dispute it, but I wasn't really talking about ambient/chillout/IDM/experimental music. I was thinking of the minimalistic, synth-based droning stuff inspired by Brian Eno and his kin

Though if you have access to good sounds (i.e if you have a computer, a DAW and an internet connection), it's fairly straightforward to make things like that sound good. Much easier than making a well-produced dance song, a high-energy DnB song or a dynamic orchestral piece, at least in my experience.

At 12/25/12 05:37 PM, KKSlider60 wrote: Also, Buoy.

Easiest Genre to Make?

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 18:02:15

At 12/25/12 05:48 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 12/25/12 05:37 PM, KKSlider60 wrote: stuff
more stuff

Daayuuuuuuuum you're so right.

At 12/25/12 05:57 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 12/25/12 05:37 PM, KKSlider60 wrote: Also, Buoy.

Easiest Genre to Make?

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 19:16:40

At 12/25/12 06:08 PM, dem0lecule wrote: Someone showed me this, probably the easiest music.

Still, Tenacious D went even further than that.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 19:25:03

I'm not sure how to respond. It has to do with personal opinion on difficulty, personal opinion on what determines a good song, how good of songs you are going for. But I would say that all genres are equally difficult to create something good and unique in. And as for the genre, I find piano music to be pretty simple to make. I do enjoy it a lot, but it is pretty simple!

Check out my pages!

Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 23:40:38

At 12/25/12 10:33 PM, dem0lecule wrote: The easiest way to make music is don't make anything at all. Silence is a genre, too!

There, done.

John Cage would approve.

the easiest is a form of ambient... take an orchestral song (or any song or sound for that matter) and pitch drop it several octaves and stretch it out really long... makes really good ambient music and you don't need a single oscillator or expensive sample library... aside from creating the original audio, which might be as mundane as singing a few tracks into a cheap mic.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 23:46:03

At 12/25/12 11:40 PM, samulis wrote: pitch drop it several octaves and stretch it out really long... makes really good ambient music and you don't need a single oscillator or expensive sample library...

I've done this to my old song ideas. All you really need to do is take any random song and stretch it way the fuck out. It even works on Justin Bieber.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-25 23:59:39

the whole point of "minimal" anything is that you have the capacity to do more lol.

That said,
slower bpm---->easier to mix and easier to comprehend.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 00:17:27

At 12/25/12 11:46 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: I've done this to my old song ideas. All you really need to do is take any random song and stretch it way the fuck out. It even works on Justin Bieber.

see, that's starting to sound like MUSIC there! Impressive!

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 06:11:15

At 12/25/12 10:45 PM, Chrausner wrote: 8-bit Video-Game

All you have to do is find a plugin that sounds like 8-bit, rip a VG MIDI from the internet, then place the MIDI on the plugin. And there, you have just made a song.

Hell, I used to do that a lot one year ago. It was so easy to do.

I make lots of chiptunes, I never used a single midi file. But soundwise, chiptunes are the easiest genre imho. You don't have to mix / master a lot, actually nearly nothing, and you need 2 minutes to achieve the sound you want. The harder part is the composition, melody and harmonics are more important than in other genres. I guess that's also the reason why I love to make them, you can start composing instantly and don't need to worry about the sound.

Also, with a good VST, ambient (as often mentioned) can easily be made, and most people will like it even if you only used 2 lengthy notes throughout the whole song. But sometimes less is more, and there are also highly complicated ambient songs.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 08:06:13

E-D-M/ House Electro (but not complextro), look at all my last submissions, those are 4 or 5 of 15 that I continuasly create and work on O.o, no saying it's perfect, but it's easy to really get into and bob your head and feel boss when you realize you can dance to it XD

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 08:08:03

At 12/25/12 11:59 PM, jpbear wrote: the whole point of "minimal" anything is that you have the capacity to do more lol.

That said,

totally agree with the bpm comment, btw you ever tried to take a shortcut to making creative hip hop beats? EASY - AS - FUCK....you spend hours creating fast 160 to 175 bpm drum n bass....then you slow it down...and all of the instruments you worked so hard to make clear, become like 10 times clearer :D, it's awesome

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 10:01:36

At 12/26/12 08:08 AM, Axel7 wrote:
At 12/25/12 11:59 PM, jpbear wrote: the whole point of "minimal" anything is that you have the capacity to do more lol.

That said,
totally agree with the bpm comment, btw you ever tried to take a shortcut to making creative hip hop beats? EASY - AS - FUCK....you spend hours creating fast 160 to 175 bpm drum n bass....then you slow it down...and all of the instruments you worked so hard to make clear, become like 10 times clearer :D, it's awesome

Lol, yeah. I usually don't slow down or fasten the loops I make because they could turn into something that differs from my original idea, but it can be a good checking technique, you know, to see if it everything sounds as it should have.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 18:06:32

That would be Free Form Jazz.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-26 19:28:33

At 12/26/12 06:06 PM, MaskedGuardian wrote: That would be Free Form Jazz.

For jazz musicians, probably. But to the rest of us non-jazz producers, it looks pretty damn hard.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-27 01:01:56

As many people have said before me, it's all based on what you as a person think is the easiest. Personally, I think Hip Hop is easy as fuck. Find a sample, scrounge around for a break (cut-up or un-cut), add a bassline, maybe some hook vocals, rinse and repeat.

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-27 08:25:16

Hip-Hop. It generally involves making an 80 BPM drum beat that you repeat throughout the song with maybe a few fills, and then throwing in some instrumental motifs here and there. Most of the time, there's little need for intricacy, dynamics, complicated mixing and a lot of other stuff that usually makes music hard to create.

At 12/26/12 06:06 PM, MaskedGuardian wrote: That would be Free Form Jazz.

That's debatable. To make Free Form Jazz that actually sounds good you need to have practically mastered your instrument, which takes years of daily practice and unwavering dedication.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Easiest Genre to Make? 2012-12-27 08:57:23

At 12/27/12 08:25 AM, Step wrote: Hip-Hop. It generally involves making an 80 BPM drum beat that you repeat throughout the song with maybe a few fills, and then throwing in some instrumental motifs here and there. Most of the time, there's little need for intricacy, dynamics, complicated mixing and a lot of other stuff that usually makes music hard to create.

1. 80BPM
2. Steal, I mean "sample" some other person's audio / intellectual property.
3. Write "lyrics".
4. Mash everything together
5. ?
6. ?
7. Profit!

just kidding :P

Or am I ? ;)