00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

i dont get anime

3,698 Views | 70 Replies

i dont get anime 2012-12-07 15:38:24

i try watching anime,but most of it is idiotic banter with bad lip synch and bouncy lady parts.tell me some redeeming qualities of anime before i give up trying

follow me to the promised land

I hope I'm not stinking up the place with my superior logic

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 15:42:10

At 12/7/12 03:39 PM, Xenomit wrote: You're watching dubbed versions of anime. Stop right now, and watch the original versions.

like i can understand them,right

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 15:43:44

Here, I made this graph.

i dont get anime

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 15:46:31

At 12/7/12 03:45 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 12/7/12 03:43 PM, Jester wrote: Here, I made this graph.
You're a humorous guy

So I tell myself when I cry myself to sleep.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 15:56:05

At 12/7/12 03:38 PM, BucketOfSand wrote: i try watching anime,but most of it is idiotic banter with bad lip synch and bouncy lady parts.tell me some redeeming qualities of anime before i give up trying

What anime have you been watching?

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 15:59:17

At 12/7/12 03:56 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
At 12/7/12 03:38 PM, BucketOfSand wrote: i try watching anime,but most of it is idiotic banter with bad lip synch and bouncy lady parts.tell me some redeeming qualities of anime before i give up trying
What anime have you been watching?

toonami night

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:02:43

At 12/7/12 03:59 PM, BucketOfSand wrote: toonami night

Watch Death Note and One Piece, but don't watch the 4Kids dub of One Piece.

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:27:42

Different culture.

Some things in anime just don't make any sense to folks not from Japan.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:36:15

At 12/7/12 03:39 PM, Xenomit wrote: You're watching dubbed versions of anime. Stop right now, and watch the original versions.

Medabots and Cowboy Bebop are actually really good dubs.

That said, everyone go watch Medabots and Cowboy Bebop. Anything else is crappy moe faggorty.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:37:51

At 12/7/12 03:59 PM, BucketOfSand wrote:

toonami night

Start watching subbed anime series then, also there are different kinds of anime. If you honestly think all anime series are the same, you have another think coming.

Animation age ghetto mentality is something to be avoided, here are the list I could start you off with:

Monster

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Zeta Gundam

Dragonball

Char's Counterattack (movie)

Hokuto no Ken (though some of the stuff done by Kenshiro in the anime were actually done by Roah in the manga)

Cowboy Bebop

City Hunter (second season)

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:38:14

At 12/7/12 04:36 PM, Chdonga wrote:

That said, everyone go watch Medabots and Cowboy Bebop. Anything else is crappy moe faggorty.

bebop intro was the best part of toonami night

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:42:07

At 12/7/12 04:36 PM, Chdonga wrote:

Cowboy Bebop's generally among the exceptions when it comes to English dubs, the rest is pretty much up to certain opinions and taste (though it applies to Bebop as well).

Speaking of Bebop, that reminds me, Trigun should be remade in order to follow the manga more closely, I hate gecko endings. I can understand why the story was changed as the series caught up to the manga and it wouldn't be finished until about a decade later but still.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:44:28

At 12/7/12 04:41 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 12/7/12 04:36 PM, Chdonga wrote: That said, everyone go watch Medabots and Cowboy Bebop. Anything else is crappy moe faggorty.
As a true fan of anime, I can say that Cowboy Bebop is incredibly overrated

He should watch whatever catches his eyes, and if he likes it he likes it. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Or caught attention due to a word of mouth.

I'm currently revisiting the old Gundam series so I won't be checking the more recent series for a time being anyway. Just realize that Amuro wasn't slapped because he was losing it, its because he was being a stuck up brat.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:53:29

1. Sturgeon's Law applies to anime just like it does to anything else. 90% of the stuff is crap, so you should try to narrow your search down to pick the best stuff out of the pile/what interests you the most instead of just grabbing the first things you see.

2. Japan has a different culture and a different storytelling tradition, so the pacing and the pattern of the dialogue and everything can seem strange and even counterproductive at first, but I think over time you get used to it and start to understand the rhythms of it a little better and accept that something is always going to be a little lost in translation.

Despite my rabid obsession with FLCL and my recent attempts to get more into the medium as a whole, I actually don't really like anime that much either. I think the best thing about it is that the best anime realize the full breadth of the dramatic potential of animation and tell mature, visually inventive stories in a way that Western cartoons, which are marginalized as children's entertainment, have never really been able to do. Especially in the medium of television. At least in film there's Pixar and a bunch of cool independent and European stuff, but can you name any American animated TV shows that aren't either sitcoms or (at least nominally) children's action shows?

As far as the whole sub vs. dub thing goes, it's entirely a case-by-case basis. Good translations are more concerned with capturing the spirit of the dialogue than the exact letter. I've found that subs tend to be much more literal with their translation, so when a dub is said to be particularly good I actually prefer it. Plus, someone who knows the language please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd find the majority of Japanese voice actors to be just as bad if you could actually understand what they were saying.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 16:56:04

At 12/7/12 04:41 PM, Xenomit wrote: As a true fan of anime,

Ugh.

I can say that Cowboy Bebop is incredibly overrated

Okay, whatever. The point is that it's a great entry point into anime (it was certainly mine) because it's based around Western pop culture and story tropes.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:06:17

Not a huge fan of anime.

I used to watch Dragonball Z back in the day.

I enjoyed it at the time, but looking back at it, the thing I remember most is how tedious it was.

The thought of watching that show from beginning to end again makes me shiver.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:14:48

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

That's why I love you, Idiot-Finder.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:18:45

I think your problem is you're not watching any anime that is actually good.

Try Death Note. It's very serious, very mature. It has barely any of the anime cliches that make us westerners cringe, and an amazing, captivating story as well. Hell, you'll forget you're even watching an anime. It has 37 episodes, which are twenty minutes each. You can find them all on Youtube. Watch the first two and I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:20:26

Watch a good anime like Code Geass or something. I'm not sure if others like that show, but I love it. Also try Claymore, I'm pretty sure everyone likes Claymore.

Some qualities is that in some, action is amazing, the art is good, and it is appealing to the ears, if the soundtrack is any good. You just need to find a good anime. Which ones have you watched?

I'm quite jealous of these clever signatures.

Lol my Page

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:20:33

Watch something not shit

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:21:49

I can't really stand it either...it's SOOOOO up it's own ass and pretentious. And the art style sucks. There, I said it. I've never been a fan of that art style...unless it was Gundam or something...but that art style on people...ew.

The stories are WAAAY too dramatic...or trying too hard to be dramatic. The only anime's I like, are Dragonball (NOT Z or GT) and Cowboy Bebop.

I also used to like DBZ, Trigun, FLCL, and Hellsing when I was in my teens...but watched them again recently and it was like "this is sooooo boring and stupid"

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:24:25

At 12/7/12 05:21 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
The stories are WAAAY too dramatic...or trying too hard to be dramatic. The only anime's I like, are Dragonball (NOT Z or GT) and Cowboy Bebop.

Yes, there is a lot of bad anime. Just watch the good stuff.

Lol my Page

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:24:34

At 12/7/12 05:18 PM, IronicMaiden wrote: I think your problem is you're not watching any anime that is actually good.

Try Death Note. It's very serious, very mature. It has barely any of the anime cliches that make us westerners cringe, and an amazing, captivating story as well. Hell, you'll forget you're even watching an anime. It has 37 episodes, which are twenty minutes each. You can find them all on Youtube. Watch the first two and I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked.

I will give it TWO episodes...if I hate it, I'm tracking you down, and cutting your balls for wasting my time.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:24:52

This.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:26:34

Watch Cowboy Bebop. You won't be disappointed.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:26:44

At 12/7/12 05:24 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 12/7/12 05:18 PM, IronicMaiden wrote:

Watch the first two and I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked.

I will give it TWO episodes...if I hate it, I'm tracking you down, and cutting your balls for wasting my time.

Death Note is incredibly interesting, you will most likely really enjoy it.

Lol my Page

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:30:04

Did you miss the part where a good chunk of anime is from Japan?

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:30:37

At 12/7/12 05:21 PM, LemonCrush wrote: "this is sooooo boring and stupid"

Say what you will about FLCL, but unless you've spent the past decade of your life constantly tripping balls so hard that your life was basically the same as Yellow Submarine I don't see how you could possibly find it "boring."

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:34:16

At 12/7/12 05:24 PM, LemonCrush wrote: I will give it TWO episodes...if I hate it, I'm tracking you down, and cutting your balls for wasting my time.

Heh. . . I'm not too worried.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:37:56

At 12/7/12 05:24 PM, YellowisCOOL wrote:
This.

Lame stories are lame regardless of if they're in japanese or in english