00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

i dont get anime

3,678 Views | 70 Replies

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:39:40

At 12/7/12 05:30 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: Say what you will about FLCL, but unless you've spent the past decade of your life constantly tripping balls so hard that your life was basically the same as Yellow Submarine I don't see how you could possibly find it "boring."

Ooo visual trippy stuff...whoa! *roll eyes*

You're right, it's exactly like Yellow Submarine. A bunch of visually crazy things with no substance or character development.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:41:22

The biggest problem with anime is the overall lack of creativity which more often than not leads to frequent copying, cliches, and even identical characters between shows. I'm not positive but I think this lack of creativity comes from the sheer number of anime shows coming out, and it's because Japan heavily merchandises everything. Everyone wants to be the esteemed writers that wrote Death Note, Naruto, or Dragon Ball Z (I'm not praising or criticizing any of these shows, only pointing out that it's a monetary agenda).

Although there are a few exceptions, most anime is just made to imitate whatever sells and generate revenue. I don't know if that's just Japanese culture, or if it's some kind of western Japanese business hybrid, but that's just the way it is.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:42:47

Paranoia Agent
Tekkon Kinkreet
Kemonozume
Spirited Away
Nausicaa
Princess Mononoke
Metropolis
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue
Steamboy

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 17:47:24

At 12/7/12 05:43 PM, BigBadtheBazz wrote: If these don't do it for you
than you should just give up, anime might not be for you.

Those are both good, but there are a lot of very unique animes out there and I wouldn't just give up after those. If you look, you'll find stuff that doesn't try to emulate other anime and does its own thing and is low on the tired cliches.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 18:50:10

Fruits Basket.
I win.

The Ledge

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:01:15

Movies can be abstract and even somewhat incoherent or even have no plot at all and still be decent. Some movies are just good visual experiences. Take koyaanisqatsi, for example. That movie literally had no plot. It was all just images, mainly time-lapses, and it was great. There are also a lot of good animated shorts out there that are just interesting visuals.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:17:41

At 12/7/12 07:08 PM, Xenomit wrote: Exactly. I'm completely aware that none of the Transformers have bland characters and basically no plot, but I don't really care, because the sounds are orgasmic and the explosions are bonafide sexy.

The 2009 J.J. Abrams remake of Star Trek was amazing, purely for it's visual effects. The character development was stupidly dull, but holy shit did it look cool.

I haven't seen any of those, but I know what you mean. I wasn't really thinking of action blockbusters with explosions and stuff, but I do watch stuff like that. Everybody hated on Drive Angry, but man, that movie was full of awesome action.

I was thinking of movies and shorts that may not focus much on plot, or sometimes even at all, and mostly focus on visuals, but still have artistic merit. And I think Koyaanisqatsi is a perfect example.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:19:14

At 12/7/12 07:17 PM, BigBadtheBazz wrote: Cowboy Bebop and Big O are both good gateway series in my opinion, but I'm sure there are others I haven't seen or
heard of.

Ah, you're right about that. They're definitely good for people just getting into it, especially Bebop.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:31:47

Watch subs not dubs and not on youtube. There are more serious and real anime out there I happen to like hourou musuko, koi kaze, and I my me strawberry eggs. Animes like haruichi sayauma (spelt wrong) or lucky star makes other anime look bad.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:38:49

At 12/7/12 07:34 PM, mandog wrote:
At 12/7/12 03:39 PM, Xenomit wrote: You're watching dubbed versions of anime. Stop right now, and watch the original versions.
Inuyasha had a good dub. A really good dub.

And they didn't dub kanketsu-hen (final act), it show how reliable dubs are.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:40:11

I think Inuyasha is terrible.

To each their own. whatev.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 19:49:25

Different mediums of entertainment appeal to different people, and within said medium, there are plenty of shows to choose from. The problem is that the anime on TV mostly range from decent to utter shit, and that's seems like what most anime fans out there think of when it comes to anime. Don't get me wrong, shows like Code Geass, FMA: Brotherhood, G Gundam and even Monster were shown on TV, and those were amazing anime that I would recommend to anyone in a heartbeat, but for all those shows, there were a lot more crappy anime out there, some of which are still airing right now.

Another thing is, IMO, the wrong shows seem to get the most pub and attention, and a lot of the good ones seem to be barely mentioned or treated as an afterthought. Take FLCL as an example, personally, I simply couldn't stand to watch that show, much less enjoy it, partly due to the fact that it tried to jam many different tropes and cheesy jokes into 6 episodes, and lack of a deep coherent story, which the fans claim it has, but I certainly haven't found it.

What makes it worse is that for a long time, Adult Swim kept airing this damn show for over 10 years on and off, and much better shows were given the shaft, usually by messing around with the air time or even the airing of the episodes themselves, {Code Geass is the prime example} almost to the point where I got pissed off at AS for screwing around with the schedule because they seem to have a beef with anime not named Cowboy Bebop or FLCL. Of course, you could simply get all the episodes online or wait for the DVD box set to come out, {I did} but that still doesn't make it right to put anime through that type of limbo, especially if the anime is amazing.

I'll stop here before I ramble any more, but just remember that there are far more anime available than what's aired on American TV, and more importantly, there are many different genres and styles of anime designed for a specific audience and taste, you just need to know where to look.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 20:00:02

At 12/7/12 07:49 PM, orangebomb wrote: I'll stop here before I ramble any more, but just remember that there are far more anime available than what's aired on American TV, and more importantly, there are many different genres and styles of anime designed for a specific audience and taste, you just need to know where to look.

Yeah, American television doesn't really give a good enough glimpse into the variety of anime.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 20:06:37

Most anime's today are pretty much the same. No one has heard about them and it's always about japanese schoolgirls. Some good animes everyone likes are DBZ, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 20:23:52

At 12/7/12 08:06 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote: Most anime's today are pretty much the same.

You just haven't learned about the right stuff.

No one has heard about them and it's always about japanese schoolgirls.

I hate that type of anime. I can't even count how many times I've read a synopsis that began with "(blank) was just a normal high school boy/girl until...".

Bleach, Naruto

ick...

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 20:31:18

At 12/7/12 08:25 PM, Shauna wrote: I don't watch a lot of the animes people are talking about because I watch whats new now to Japan.

Try things like

Chobits, Sankerea, Beelzebub, MM!, Kami nomi zo shiro zekai

I can agree with those I left the ones I left out are too generic and get over-looked.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 23:33:54

I wanna say, I have nothing but respect for the creators and artists. Even though their art doesn't appeal to me, it's still art, after all.

It really irritates me when Hot Topic kids adopt and flaunt it as their stupid lame "I'm an edgy nerd" culture. But I'm like that with a lot of things.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-07 23:44:07

All anime characters have gallons of blood that spues out in waterfalls whenever they get diced up. Always found that interesting about Anime

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 02:29:08

At 12/7/12 07:38 PM, tsukikomi wrote:
At 12/7/12 07:34 PM, mandog wrote:
At 12/7/12 03:39 PM, Xenomit wrote: You're watching dubbed versions of anime. Stop right now, and watch the original versions.
Inuyasha had a good dub. A really good dub.
And they didn't dub kanketsu-hen (final act), it show how reliable dubs are.

I just saw the DVD for the dub at a store today, shows how up-to-date you are.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 15:35:44

Ok...death note is good.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 16:13:50

I know what you mean it's like all they think what impresses people is tits, as expected you would be surprised if there wasn't one with busties. One anime known as HOTD (high school of the dead) is bombarded with cleavage allot!! and it doesn't even need it as it's good enough and because of this it makes it a annoying titty loving anime etc.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 19:58:22

At 12/8/12 04:13 PM, erenahmed wrote: I know what you mean it's like all they think what impresses people is tits, as expected you would be surprised if there wasn't one with busties. One anime known as HOTD (high school of the dead) is bombarded with cleavage allot!! and it doesn't even need it as it's good enough and because of this it makes it a annoying titty loving anime etc.

I know right, including how in shows like Dr. Slump they would have fanservice featuring Senbei's tits, I mean really? No plot and has Senbei as a fanservice character.

Senbei wasn't even a good choice for fanservice, how weak.

Then in Saint Seiya, there's Shiryu stripping in every fight, even went topless as well. That's what anime is, a show filled with fanservice to impress the male hormones.

:Pffft

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:10:01

At 12/8/12 07:58 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Then in Saint Seiya, there's Shiryu stripping in every fight, even went topless as well. That's what anime is, a show filled with fanservice to impress the male hormones.

...But isn't Shiryu a guy? How can that count as fanservice then? And hell If it does, then DBZ is the most obscene thing in existence.

Oh god why do I even KNOW this shit

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:11:45

At 12/8/12 08:10 PM, PWJP wrote: ...But isn't Shiryu a guy? How can that count as fanservice then? And hell If it does, then DBZ is the most obscene thing in existence.

Males aren't the only people who watch anime.

BLM | ANTIFA

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:14:07

At 12/8/12 08:11 PM, Ryanson wrote: Males aren't the only people who watch anime.

I know that, but in his post he mentioned "That's what anime is, a show filled with fanservice to impress themale hormones"
That's why I asked.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:14:39

Don't listen to him. Anime is shit. Even in its original Japanese the lip service is still as bad as it is in English. All they do is move their jaws up and down. They aren't real motions.

Also, the stories don't make sense and neither do their powers. I can't begin to describe how confusing Dragon Ball Z's power level system became.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:17:42

At 12/8/12 08:14 PM, PWJP wrote:
At 12/8/12 08:11 PM, Ryanson wrote: Males aren't the only people who watch anime.
I know that, but in his post he mentioned "That's what anime is, a show filled with fanservice to impress themale hormones"
That's why I asked.

Not all males are straight.

Also, Idiot-Finder likes being funny.

BLM | ANTIFA

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:21:11

Depends on your form of entertainment. They supply a lot of action anime but the filler and dull story lines is what keeps me away.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:25:25

At 12/8/12 08:21 PM, Xenomit wrote:
And these are what's known as opinions

Okay, the fact that the animation of mouths moving during dialogue being completely wrong isn't an opinion. No one's mouth moves straight up and down when speaking. No, not even the Japanese.
And the fact that power levels in Dragon Ball Z not being made clear isn't an opinion, either. They started becoming ridiculously high and became difficult to tell who was stronger than who and how.

> 2012
> Trying to keep someone slightly interested in anime from watching anime

This isn't 4chan.

Response to i dont get anime 2012-12-08 20:28:36

At 12/8/12 08:21 PM, Xenomit wrote:
And these are what's known as facts

I don't even see how weeaboos can deny that. (not saying your a weeaboo.)

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature