• 87 Replies
cpnawesome
cpnawesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-28 17:40:37

At 10/21/12 01:54 AM, The-iMortal wrote: It started out as just something fun to do in my spare time. Nothing satisfies me more than when I put effort into a project that turns out better than the last.

Now I do it, partially for fun, but also in hope that, one day, I may be good enough to make music professionally...

...one day.

same here!

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-28 18:38:48

At 10/27/12 10:39 AM, Thief1337 wrote: Stuff

To make what I was going to say really, really concise since the stuff I was planning to write got deleted due to browser restarts, it seems like you're doing the following:

1. Saying the artist and the business of marketing the artist are intertwined which isn't what I'm arguing... Justin Bieber IS an artist... popular or not, he would still be an artist nevertheless.

2. Saying that having a heart in creating your music is required of being an artist, which isn't true either. Whether or not someone makes money for their craft doesn't make them any less of an artist then otherwise... they are still creating something, which is better than nothing in my opinion.

3. Trying to put your own context as to why "X" person can't be an artist as comparative to "Y". Some people may not see Pink Floyd as a great artist with respect to how you perceive him to be, so you might judge them to have bad taste or don't know what artist is. Some people hate skrillex for the same reasons too... but you can't judge these artist for not being the type of artist you would want them to be either. They're still perfecting their art as much as we are, and to not give them at least some credit of being an artist is pretty shallow in my opinion.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-28 18:48:24

At 10/28/12 06:38 PM, zelazon wrote:
More stuff

While I can see where everyone's coming from, has anyone even paid attention to what I said earlier?

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-28 19:13:04

At 10/28/12 06:48 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 10/28/12 06:38 PM, zelazon wrote:
More stuff
While I can see where everyone's coming from, has anyone even paid attention to what I said earlier?

I read it, but in a lot of cases, you were articulating what you thought we meant in your own words (even though I wasn't one of the people you were referencing)... however so, I'm arguing specifics here, which in the case of theif whom was arguing that the nature of the business shouldn't be attributed to the artist or more specifically, an artist shouldn't really call themselves an artist unless they have higher meaning with their music.

My points specifically (not sure where the confusion herein lies since I was specifically stating this) is that an artist is an artist, regardless of if they make money from it. I am not arguing anything else.

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-28 20:10:14

At 10/21/12 12:17 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote:
Boredom, lack of interesting things happening, lack of friends e.t.c.

I can absolutely relate to this, although at the beginning I didn't realy get to do music.
I simply opened it up, played few lines and then closed it wihout saving.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 07:44:59

At 10/29/12 06:44 AM, Thief1337 wrote:
At 10/28/12 06:38 PM, zelazon wrote: Stuff.
Even more stuff.

I swear, Thief1337, I by and large have agreed with what you've said but right now I'm tempted to have you take a history of Kingdom of Herts to the brain.

I can only draw one thing from this at all: whatever we do must be voluntary and come from within. Beyond that... I think I need to PM you.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 08:17:03

Why is everybody bothering with this argument? Arguments are rarely settled face-to-face, and never settled online. The time everyone spends thinking of their arguments and typing them could be spent in quality music time, or improving in anything else you'd like to do.

That's why I haven't gotten involved till now. And even now, it's a short post.

Here's my mentality:

WHO CARES ABOUT THE REASONS OTHER PEOPLE MAKE MUSIC? WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF AND CONCENTRATE ON YOURSELF AND YOU WILL IMPROVE AND SUCCEED IN WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. IF YOU WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT OTHERS LIKE A GOSSIP GIRL, YOU WILL REMAIN FOREVER SHIT BECAUSE ALL YOU'VE SPENT YOUR LIFE DOING IS CORRECTING OTHERS, NOT YOURSELF.

disclaimer: anybody who is thinking of replying to my post with a massive refute, don't expect me to spend my time writing up a large reply in return. I am spending lots of time trying to achieve an original, fresh synth lead.
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 09:04:28

Against my better judgement, I'm going to prod this with a sharp stick and see what growls at me.

At 10/29/12 06:44 AM, Thief1337 wrote: Rants about Justin Beiber, religion, and various other stuff that I can't be arsed to read in extreme detail right now.

Okay, first of all. Summary of Justin Beiber's life that doesn't really seem necessary. Though I do agree poor Justin, that life sounds like it's going to suck.

Second, define "artist". It's impossible to really have a discussion about something when multiple definitions are being used. Get an operational definition if you're going to continue this, damn. For the record, here's the definition of 'artist' according to dictionary.com.

a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter or sculptor.
a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.

Now that we have that out of the way, I have no idea why you're flipping out about religion in a debate about music. Personally, I think that to be the best artist possible, the music should be (A) the kind of music you want to make, and (B) music that you are truly inspired to make rather than forced.

That said, it's fully possible to be an 'artist' (according to the operational definition I stated) WITHOUT the music coming from the heart. According to the operational definition, Justin Beiber IS an artist, and should not be considered something else. While it also means that the people helping him write his music could be defined as artists, that doesn't mean he is not one.

Now, to answer the OP.

I make music for a multitude of reasons that have already been stated, but since that's not what you're after... the reasons that I am compelled to make music are as follows, in orderly fashion:

-I have ideas that won't leave me alone until I write them down and make them.

-I love being able to entertain people and bring them on musical journeys to places beyond what they have previously imagined.

-I want to improve so I can achieve the first two better, faster, and more easily.

Music is my life, and I hope to make it my life. I want to go into the music or video game industry and make soundtracks, because I want to improve the music there and make it into the kind of music that people will listen to more often - to make the music easy to connect to, and yet have a degree of depth that allows the music to be standalone, deep enough so that people can get lost in it if they listen enough.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 11:51:06

At 10/29/12 11:29 AM, Thief1337 wrote: stuff

1. I still don't see why religion should necessarily have any place in music. Not to say religion cannot be in music, but it does not NEED to be in music. <God> does not need to be in music. Whether music affect emotion or not does not mean that it is religious in nature, as religion is not the only thing that influences emotion.

2. You seem to misunderstand my request for an operational definition. Without a definition people can agree on for 'artist', a discussion/argument over whether a person is an artist or not will get nowhere due to people using different definitions. That is why I am requesting it - so that this discussion can actually arrive at a conclusion other than "we didn't agree".

3. This discussion is no longer necessary within the context of this thread. The thread is about "what compels you to make music". That's the very title of it. Whether music is religious or not, whether Justin Beiber is an artist or not (which still isn't decided because you haven't stated your definition of 'artist' yet), and what exactly music is, is not necessary to answer the OP. I won't complain if you want to continue this discussion, but I thought I might want to get that out there in case other people would rather we discontinue this.

You have a very artistic way of writing. Personally, I'd like it if you made your point a little more clear and concise rather than adding three paragraphs of flowery language, as the bling distracts from the essential messages you're making, and in a debate - the actual point is the most important thing. Digging through all the flowers does get to be a pain eventually.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 11:57:15

At 10/29/12 11:29 AM, Thief1337 wrote:
text

So much for saying Justin Beiber's shit ololol.

PS: You're assuming you know everything about Justin Beiber. How do you know he does not enjoy what he does and allows himself to be manipulated by the industry? As far as I know it could be the other way round. What if he enjoys writing and performing his crap as much as Pink Floyd does? The only difference is the target audience. I mean, you're just jumping in the Beiber hate wagon and slamming him using pretty words without showing any solid proof that he is indeed R2-D2 and is only at it for the monayy.

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 12:33:11

At 10/29/12 12:07 PM, Thief1337 wrote: Insults and condescension.

You did not "debunk" the idea of the operational definition, and you are currently either ignoring what I'm saying or are not understanding and refusing to look up what one actually is. An operational definition is one that we agree on that is specific to the context. I've been asking you what YOU are calling an artist, what YOU are defining as an artist. So far you have blatantly refused to actually state what you think an artist is. Keep in mind, the dictionary definition I brought in, I was using as "an" operational definition. Not necessarily "the" operational definition we'll use.

As for learning to dig through things, I agree. People should know how to do that. However, in a debate, people should not NEED to dig through the fluff in order to get to the relevant stuff. Not dressing up your words in a frilly dress allows others to understand you more, and allows for a deeper analysis of the issue which is achieved in a much shorter period of time. Since you apparently want a 'deep understanding' of what music and being an artist is, I assume you can see the logic in this.

Now, as a last thing to say. Please stop the condescension. It is not conducive to a good discussion and is quite frankly offputting. I assume you would not like me to voice much of what you say with sarcasm and "oh yeah preists are totally in it for worshipping God LOL thats just like someone working at McDonalds to eat their food".

Stuff.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 12:40:31

At 10/29/12 12:07 PM, Thief1337 wrote: stuff not pertaining to Skye's first point

Funnily, I noticed that you did not respond to my point that religion and music are independent of each other. Am I correct in assuming that you concede this?

Stuff.

BBS Signature
SuperSampleStar
SuperSampleStar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 12:44:11

For me, it's not just to cure the boredom, but i enjoy doing it. It's a favorite hobby of mine. After i finish a song/remix, i feel accomplished and satisfied. I enjoy it when other people like my songs/remixes, and the goal to become noticed and even have my songs/remixes make it into a game or something gives me even more energy to make music and keep on doing the best i can

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? 2012-10-29 12:49:06

This thread:

What Compels you to Make Music?

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira