• 86 Replies
Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:08 PM

At 10/22/12 03:19 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: The implication being, that you only consider music as a viable career choice because you love doing it and therefore are exempt from Thief's misdirected hatred against mainstream musicians who just copy everyone else. He also fails to consider making sufficient money to feed oneself without actually trying to make LOTS of money, which is also an important distinction. Thief may have a point for music that is created solely to generate revenue, but it does not apply in this case.

It sounds like you're right, and I would love to think you are. It is exactly why I'm saying music shouldn't be seen as a viable career choice in the first place.

"Viable career choice" is just another one of those curtains we have made for "Music" as a category of job, as a restricted domain and create a particular structure of technical competences; as if you just needed to know how to play an instrument like somebody else to be an artist. It should be all about what you do with this instrument, and that type of creativity has to be worked out before anything else.

Fuck money. I never hear my favorite artists (Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Slipknot, Rammstein, etc) say they're doing it because it was a viable career choice for generating income. They reject it as much as possible because they know this is not where the truth of music and creativity lives.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung
Native Instruments' Komplete 8 for free !

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:22 PM

At 10/22/12 06:08 PM, Thief1337 wrote: "Viable career choice" is just another one of those curtains we have made for "Music" as a category of job, as a restricted domain and create a particular structure of technical competences; as if you just needed to know how to play an instrument like somebody else to be an artist. It should be all about what you do with this instrument, and that type of creativity has to be worked out before anything else.

I really, really don't think the phrase "Viable career choice" means the same thing to PythonBlue as it does to you. I don't think it even means the same thing to ME as it does to you, because you keep running off on insane tangents that I can only barely follow. I think this could all be avoided if he just said "Music is the only thing I really want to spend my time doing". To him, choosing a career is about choosing an activity that he will spend the rest of his life doing, it isn't about making money. He is implying that music is the only thing he would want to spend the rest of his life doing, hence his career choice. It has nothing to do with money.

Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:29 PM

At 10/22/12 07:22 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: To him, choosing a career is about choosing an activity that he will spend the rest of his life doing, it isn't about making money. [...] It has nothing to do with money.

"[...] the truth is, like I tried to say, I have literally nothing else that I have a chance of generating income"

Those are his words, bro.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:32 PM

At 10/22/12 07:29 PM, Thief1337 wrote:
At 10/22/12 07:22 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: To him, choosing a career is about choosing an activity that he will spend the rest of his life doing, it isn't about making money. [...] It has nothing to do with money.
"[...] the truth is, like I tried to say, I have literally nothing else that I have a chance of generating income"

He is saying this in terms of things he would actually enjoy doing. As in, music is the only thing he enjoys doing that could also have a chance of generating income. There is nothing wrong with that.

Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:07 PM

At 10/22/12 07:32 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:

He is saying this in terms of things he would actually enjoy doing. As in, music is the only thing he enjoys doing that could also have a chance of generating income. There is nothing wrong with that.

Since you consider what I'm saying as "insane tangents" and already started to call me a fool and a hypocrite, well yeah there is absolutely no chance for you to understand what I'm saying. You'd rather think it's non-sense, not appropriate to the discussion and label my words as whatever you like to call them.

You are showing a great example of the problem I am talking about. You are not comfortable with the unknown. You'd rather follow the safe path, the traditional way like all the others.

Get real. I'll discuss with people who can.

BBS Signature
ManAndAGuitar
ManAndAGuitar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:24 PM

My music comes from the heart. I write music because when I die I will have messages that I left behind.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:56 PM

At 10/22/12 08:07 PM, Thief1337 wrote: Get real. I'll discuss with people who can.

When someone gets a job, it's because he wants to make money. Money makes the world go round. When a musician wants to make music his job, he wants to make money out of it. Your favorite band's job is making music people will enjoy and make money out of it. Justin Beibers job is to make music people will enjoy and make money out of it. When a musician starts out, and has making music as his goal, he will expect to make money out of it. Some people will make mainstream crap and others obscure hipster shit but they're still musicians, just different people with different mindsets.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:32 PM

At 10/22/12 08:07 PM, Thief1337 wrote: You are showing a great example of the problem I am talking about. You are not comfortable with the unknown. You'd rather follow the safe path, the traditional way like all the others.

This has rapidly devolved into an argument that clearly isn't going to go anywhere, but you seriously have no idea how wrong you are. I doubt you care, though, so there is little point in any of this.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Guys, I need to speak out.

It really depends on the goal of the person.

Those of us who are really stirred to make music from the depths of our hearts for something far beyond money will be stoical about money: it is something that comes and goes. And then there are those who do it purely for the money. Then there are those who do it out of a combination of the two, however blurry the lines are.

Now I want to speak to people's hearts with music, and give people the stories they yearn for. That far surpasses money itself. However few people there are who share what I hold closely to my heart, there are. Please, do not assume that everyone's there for the money.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 1 Entry: Oceans Wide

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

At 10/22/12 10:26 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Please, do not assume that everyone's there for the money.

A man's heart loves the sound of money. I believe that music is whored in these latter days.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
houzatosis
houzatosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I make music fill out my soundcloud page. I gotta put something on there every once in a while...
Also, because it keeps me creatively active when I have artist's block

ALECXACE
ALECXACE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

I make music because it keeps me from going insane and there is nothing quite as satisfying as getting feedback and opiions on what you make, regardless of hate/praise music is a art that is meant to invoke emotions and creativity.
On top of that it's fun :D

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

At 10/22/12 04:48 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 10/22/12 04:13 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: I do it for money

XD
We can't be friends anymore...

Hmph...

lol awwww

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 09:01 AM

At 10/21/12 12:14 AM, LP2694 wrote: I just don't get it.

Open up an instance of FL, start a project, and then I get bored.

I just don't see it. What compels you musicians to do what you do? What compels you to, well, make music?

If you have something that you love, you will feel the same urge. I heard you are a chronic masturbator, so I have an example. Me pulling up a new project in my audio editor is just like you pulling out your cock for squeezy time after you strike out with that girl sitting behind you in math class. You can't stop until you finish.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

The man above me is a genius. Talk like a pro.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 03:55 PM

I guess making music might not be for everyone. But I don't get why not; making music is just incredible fun and satisfaction IMO and I can't imagine why someone who actually tries dedicating some time to making music won't enjoy it.

It's cool making song sections, transitions between them, getting inspired, making something that sounds great, getting feedback from other people, improving (and looking back at your past works thinking "sweet jesus I was terrible"), trying new genres, remixing your favourite songs to create your own interpretations of them, and generally everything that has to do with making music (except the constant computer crashes and expensive investments that come with it).

It's also awesome being able to produce instead of just consume. If everyone had the ambition to be creative and actually make original stuff, whether it be good music, impressive drawings, innovative software applications, compelling novels or anything in-between, then I firmly believe that the world will be a much better place. I reserve lots of respect for such people.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 04:52 PM

It's also awesome being able to produce instead of just consume. If everyone had the ambition to be creative and actually make original stuff, whether it be good music, impressive drawings, innovative software applications, compelling novels or anything in-between, then I firmly believe that the world will be a much better place.

Amen to that, brother. Amen to that.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM

Bitches and hoe's

Nah just kidding, purely for fun. FL studio is like the xbox to me, a big never ending video game that never gets boring and the beatport charts is kinda like the multiplayer leaderboard.

Kinda ...

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 06:52 PM

At 10/21/12 12:14 AM, LP2694 wrote: I just don't get it.
Open up an instance of FL, start a project, and then I get bored.
I just don't see it. What compels you musicians to do what you do? What compels you to, well, make music?

Music is a fantastic thing. It's like love, sex and space travel all rolled into one thing.
A sound is just a sound to one person, but to another, it's the beginning of a melody, it blooms like love does and a good song can make you feel euphoric. We'll never understand the depth of space itself and the unimaginable size of our universe, but music brings us closer to understanding ourselves, and that is the first step to reaching the stars.

That is why I write music.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 06:56 PM

At 10/24/12 06:52 PM, MetalRenard wrote: We'll never understand the depth of space itself and the unimaginable size of our universe, but music brings us closer to understanding ourselves, and that is the first step to reaching the stars.

Everyone in this thread is making me feel shallow!

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM

At 10/22/12 06:08 PM, Thief1337 wrote: Fuck money. I never hear my favorite artists (Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Slipknot, Rammstein, etc) say they're doing it because it was a viable career choice for generating income. They reject it as much as possible because they know this is not where the truth of music and creativity lives.

Yet all those artists you've mentioned have made boatloads of cash and achieved international fame.

The disconnect is this: The person who focuses on music takes it on as a career not to make money. He takes it on as a career so he can continue to focus primarily on music for the rest of his life, and not have his priorities become activities which are meaningless just to fill his pockets. One who completely loves music will pursue it as a source of living income because he does not want to have to do anything else.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM

^
The truth.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM

What compels me to make music? I do it because I love it, because it's part of my dream...yeah all those great and fantastic things, but that's not the main reason why I make music.

Since I was a kid I've had a very vivid imagination. I never tossed this aside like most people, so as I have grown older so too has my imagination and my creativity along with it. For me, music is a gateway between my imagination and reality and it represents moments in time (ultimately they become fragments of my memory). As a result it means a great deal to me. I can transform my thoughts, my feelings, my stories...anything I want into music. There are times when I am just going about my day trying to get things done when a melody pops into my head. I begin 'composing' in my head and while it may sound odd I'm willing to bet others do the same. It is in these moments where I feel closest to myself as a person. I can step back from it all and just appreciate what that means.

I believe everyone has a reason for making music, even if they really don't know the answer as to why.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 08:24 PM

At 10/24/12 06:56 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/24/12 06:52 PM, MetalRenard wrote: We'll never understand the depth of space itself and the unimaginable size of our universe, but music brings us closer to understanding ourselves, and that is the first step to reaching the stars.
Everyone in this thread is making me feel shallow!

its okay man nobody can stop us pussy pirates from getting all dat puuuUUUuUUUUuuussay

p.s. i am gay

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM

I somewhat agree with Thief1337 stuff. Musicians nowadays are about money and fame. Shame on them!

Not all though, you have a good amount of decent musicians on NG are not in the game of money.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

At 10/22/12 08:07 PM, Thief1337 wrote:
At 10/22/12 07:32 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:

Since you consider what I'm saying as "insane tangents" and already started to call me a fool and a hypocrite, well yeah there is absolutely no chance for you to understand what I'm saying. You'd rather think it's non-sense, not appropriate to the discussion and label my words as whatever you like to call them.

You are showing a great example of the problem I am talking about. You are not comfortable with the unknown. You'd rather follow the safe path, the traditional way like all the others.

Get real. I'll discuss with people who can.

I dunno dude you sound a like a huge hipster with everything you are saying. You're not completely wrong but the music industry isn't all evil. There's alot of great mainstream music and there's alot of great people behind it, writing it. Music should always be a career option. I'm not going to write even better music if I don't have time to perform it or write it because I have a job that requires more time.

You also seem to think that a music career means you are a pop sensation. I don't know dude film scoring, sound design, studio artists, bed writers, mixing engineer, music teacher, jingle writer, arranger, composer, videogame scorer, copyist, etc. etc. are all fantastic fucking music jobs that require a study of some sort into music. If we suddenly told them all to go fuck off and make money some other way because music is only about an emotional connection then you can say good bye to all your favorite music.

If you try to say "I didn't mean that" then let me quote the one post I feel like reading that you wrote. "When music is about "career options", it's just about repeating the same mainstream bullshit thousands of other people have already made. Just like a robot, a machine, for a "job" that's not even yours."

Everything in that statement is just so ignant (ignorant). You best be gettin some learning shoes on .

AND I'LL LEAVE YOU WITH THIS GOOD SIR!
"You are showing a great example of the problem I am talking about. You are not comfortable with the unknown. You'd rather follow the safe path, the traditional way like all the others."

As for why I make music? I'd like it to be able to sustain my life off of it because it's the only thing that I can do for hours on end and love every (most) moments of it. Also I get to leave my mark on history.

god damn hipsters
DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 03:32 PM

I make music because I love music, and it is something I do in my spare time for fun. I usually don't overdo it, because that is when it gets boring. Motivate yourself by listening to a song you like, and try to remix it. If you really want to get back into it, maybe buy a new set of speakers or headphones and see how making music sounds different. Or maybe record yourself singing or playing the piano, or guitar, etc. There are many possibilities, but if all else fails, just give it time. No one is rushing you to make music.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 06:43 PM

At 10/24/12 08:24 PM, midimachine wrote: its okay man nobody can stop us pussy pirates from getting all dat puuuUUUuUUUUuuussay

My music has got me plenty of "pussay". lol

Veteran REAPER user.

Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 09:29 PM

At 10/24/12 07:08 PM, NickPerrin wrote: Yet all those artists you've mentioned have made boatloads of cash and achieved international fame.

Not because their main motivation was to make the boatload of cash; they achieved this because of their music. The spiritual radiance shined, the hearts heated and burned and a powerful message was manifested through the purity art : myths, dreams and visions.

Slipknot wear masks and create an impersonification of the inner beast, the goat we're all inside; Rammstein create synchronicity with their music and pyrotechnics, lights... it's theater; Frank Zappa took over a band that wasn't going anywhere, added his musical creativity and genius to make parodies about psychological realities in the society at that time (which many still exists to this day), and etc... all those things, humanity needs it. They look for it, they cheer for it and they embrace it.

On the other hand, what Justin Bieber has done? Working hard for producers who give him all the directions and made him a superficial figure for little girls? He's gained international fame and makes a boatload of money. The difference is he's not creating art. You don't feel any pain in what he does. He's a performer for the corporate bullshit that needs to be played in shopping malls and radio stations so people stay in line to the cash register and buy stuff like that. He's a puppet, and once everyone is tired of him, the next Justin Bieber will be made.

There hasn't been another Pink Floyd, there hasn't been another Frank Zappa and there hasn't been another Rammstein.

The disconnect is this: The person who focuses on music takes it on as a career not to make money. He takes it on as a career so he can continue to focus primarily on music for the rest of his life, and not have his priorities become activities which are meaningless just to fill his pockets. One who completely loves music will pursue it as a source of living income because he does not want to have to do anything else.

I agree 100%. I simply didn't like the words "to generate income". To me, that's forehand businessman mentality. To me, an artist should express his artistic vision instead. If it's original and creative, add productivity into the mix and now you can talk about generating income and achieving levels of fame.

BBS Signature
ReverendHerby
ReverendHerby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What Compels you to Make Music? Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I've really been asking myself the same thing lately. I used to be able to sit down and put hours into a project, and, by the end, have a deep sense of satisfaction with what I'd accomplished. Lately, as I've realized my band isn't going anywhere, and that it's hard to find and, following that, afford a school that will help me accomplish my goal of becoming a music composer for video games, I've kind of lost motivation. Writing feels like more of a chore than anything.