00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Otto's New Grotto

16,954 Views | 120 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Otto's New Grotto 2012-09-26 13:21:55

Hey everyone, I'm re-launching my art thread where I am going to post random bits of art and things to do with my Foundation Art Pre-Degree course I am doing at college (high-school to most folks here).

I am currently doing a 'Pathway Project' on the topic of Faces. I plan to animate some clay models I've made eventually. I hope I can get some feedback on where my project is going and how I can improve! Good to have this back as this is a great art forum, especially compared to glances at places like Deviant Art and the like.

This is the art blog I had to make to keep my tutor up to date, and where you can see some older stuff (which can also be seen on my user page), but also includes an animation and short film, but I want to keep this thread as current as I can.

Thankyou!

This picture is the title page for my A5 sketchbook on 'Faces' - it's got some horrific quality loss and hi-res can be found here

Otto's New Grotto

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-09-26 13:24:37

Here's a look at Andrew Loomis where I drew some skulls that he drew, and then below tried to deconstruct a face into 'planes and shapes'. Just sort of messing around with the idea and writing classic art sketchbook bollocks.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-09-27 13:59:19

I drew Alan Davies because I'm trying to make a cooler style of using planes

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-09-27 18:00:06

At 9/27/12 01:59 PM, Otto wrote: I drew Alan Davies because I'm trying to make a cooler style of using planes

cool thread so far, I especially like this last one; reminds me of a shirt I have...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-09-27 18:26:34

At 9/27/12 01:59 PM, Otto wrote: I drew Alan Davies because I'm trying to make a cooler style of using planes

The way you set up the planes makes him look like a mountain!

Although for some reason I'm liking the output , when are you going to deconstruct the body?

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-09-27 19:55:51

At 9/26/12 01:21 PM, Otto wrote: Hey everyone, I'm re-launching my art thread where I am going to post random bits of art and things to do with my Foundation Art Pre-Degree course I am doing at college (high-school to most folks here).

Welcome back.

These are some nice artworks. cant wat to see what else you hve to offer, love the detail you put in these.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-01 06:58:49

At 9/26/12 01:24 PM, Otto wrote: Here's a look at Andrew Loomis where I drew some skulls that he drew, and then below tried to deconstruct a face into 'planes and shapes'. Just sort of messing around with the idea and writing classic art sketchbook bollocks.

I love it. Great job and good luck man.

D

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-01 09:19:22

At 9/27/12 07:55 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Welcome back.

You can't say welcome back when he never left the forum in the first place.

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-01 09:34:42

Hey Jonny! welcome back!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-01 09:42:24

At 10/1/12 09:34 AM, J-qb wrote: Hey Jonny! welcome back!

Welcome back yourself!

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-03 13:20:46

At 9/27/12 06:00 PM, J-qb wrote: At 9/27/12 07:55 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: At 10/1/12 06:58 AM, MilkMustache wrote:

Thanks everyone!

At 10/1/12 09:19 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: You can't say welcome back when he never left the forum in the first place.

Didn't you miss me anyway baby?

At 9/27/12 06:26 PM, Absinthe wrote: The way you set up the planes makes him look like a mountain!

Funny you say that, this thing I did today, someone said it reminded them of Mt Rushmore haha

It's just a little part of an a5 page (portrait), but it scans pretty badly sadly and you can't see it that well

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-03 13:29:10

Here's the whole page of my sketchbook so it doesn't look so weird

unless this just looks weirder; let me know so I can keep my thread easy to digest

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-03 13:34:44

At 10/3/12 01:20 PM, Otto wrote: Didn't you miss me anyway baby?

Who wouldn't? ;D

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-03 13:35:52

At 10/3/12 01:29 PM, Otto wrote: Here's the whole page of my sketchbook so it doesn't look so weird

unless this just looks weirder; let me know so I can keep my thread easy to digest

I think it looks awesome - I love getting an inside look into artist sketchbooks :)

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-06 11:20:01

At 10/3/12 01:34 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Who wouldn't? ;D

;3

At 10/3/12 01:35 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: I love getting an inside look into artist sketchbooks :)

Ah gosh you are right actually, it's much nicer to get a look into the belly to understand a bit more of the happenings.

Anyway now for a sneak peek at something digital I'm doing for once.. I'm amazed I don't do any really, seeing as I'm on the computer so much. Anyone got any art software advice? I'm using Flash here.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-07 10:37:26

Oh God I really think I've taken this in the wrong direction

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-07 10:38:26

At 10/7/12 10:37 AM, Otto wrote: Oh God I really think I've taken this in the wrong direction

Shit forgot picture, sorry consistent-so-far-thread but you are dead now

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-07 13:12:23

At 10/7/12 10:38 AM, Otto wrote:
At 10/7/12 10:37 AM, Otto wrote: Oh God I really think I've taken this in the wrong direction

Damn! I think that turned out great man.. That is some straight to the wall shit right there! ;)

Anyways.. For art like this I think you will find that illustrator is far superior to flash..
I am learning it myself these days...

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-07 16:50:50

At 10/7/12 01:12 PM, Lundsfryd wrote:
At 10/7/12 10:38 AM, Otto wrote:
Damn! I think that turned out great man.. That is some straight to the wall shit right there! ;)

Thanks man! Long way to go, still, but it's slowly coming the right way. The really hard bit now, is turning it into a book cover with a place to put the title and authors name. I fucking hate working with fonts :( they are so tricky.

Anyways.. For art like this I think you will find that illustrator is far superior to flash..
I am learning it myself these days...

ah really? I'll have to look into that. I want to make something on the computer for the calender and I think illustrator is probably something I should get then, as I've never done any more clasiccal digital art. I'm afraid to dip my toe in. I'm very used to real acrylics now but digital art looks complicated.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-09 16:47:49

Oh it seems to be getting worsened the more I add - it feels quite awful to know I probably need to go back on myself in a few other versions. At least I know what it looks like all filled in.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-09 19:12:06

This is hopefully nearly the last of spamming my thread with this image, but now I raise the curtain on what it's meant to be a bit - I put the offshoot in the portal:

And this is the book-cover redesign I'm doing for a 12-18s competition! Does anyone have any crits and/or advice for me here? Would be much appreciated; I'm at that stage where I've stared at it for too long now.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-10 02:14:41

At 10/9/12 07:12 PM, Otto wrote: And this is the book-cover redesign I'm doing for a 12-18s competition! Does anyone have any crits and/or advice for me here? Would be much appreciated; I'm at that stage where I've stared at it for too long now.

There's nothing really wrong that stands out to me.
It's really neat and simple, and there's good use of patterns.

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-11 15:56:45

At 10/10/12 02:14 AM, CloudEater wrote: There's nothing really wrong that stands out to me.
It's really neat and simple, and there's good use of patterns.

This is good to hear, thanks man.

Here's some for realsies life drawing; this was my third go. High res.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-11 19:02:35

Oh and here's some jacket designs for a jacket I'm making tomorrow for my textiles workship. I've scanned in the old clothes I'm recycling for materials to fill in where appropriate. Hopefully it doesn't turn out shitty as I'd like to wear one.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-11 19:34:39

At 10/11/12 07:02 PM, Otto wrote: Oh and here's some jacket designs for a jacket I'm making tomorrow for my textiles workship. I've scanned in the old clothes I'm recycling for materials to fill in where appropriate. Hopefully it doesn't turn out shitty as I'd like to wear one.

Can't wait to see what you churn out.

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-12 12:05:42

At 10/9/12 07:12 PM, Otto wrote: This is hopefully nearly the last of spamming my thread with this image, but now I raise the curtain on what it's meant to be a bit - I put the offshoot in the portal:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/otto/noughts-crosses
And this is the book-cover redesign I'm doing for a 12-18s competition! Does anyone have any crits and/or advice for me here? Would be much appreciated; I'm at that stage where I've stared at it for too long now.

I think both the text and untexted version turned out awesome. Great job :)
I guess the only critiqe is that the left tilt of some of the letters look a bit strange. Expecially the s'es.

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-13 13:17:28

At 10/12/12 12:05 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: I think both the text and untexted version turned out awesome. Great job :)
I guess the only critiqe is that the left tilt of some of the letters look a bit strange. Expecially the s'es.

Thankyou :)
I hadn't actually noticed that at all; good eye! Not sure what to do about that, I'll see how tilting it goes but I'm not sure how that affects the font. Still, WIP and all.

At 10/11/12 07:34 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Can't wait to see what you churn out.

Better be ready for absurdly amateur clothing!

Here is my fourth life drawing, high-res can be seen here. We were told to use brown paper and then highlight with white pencils. Turns out that's pretty fucking hard.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-13 13:20:10

Here's one I did the week after, as in yesterday. I did basically the whole thing in one continuous line, then added some shading that personally I think ruined it a bit. Actually visible resolution here

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-15 14:20:54

I know what I said about keeping this current, but just a little over thirteen years ago, here's my retelling of my first bit of real trauma.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-25 18:46:27

love your art, man.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature