00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Would You Pay For An Item Lost...

970 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-11 03:48:32

When you die? That's the question Zombie-MMO The War Z is asking apparently.

I guess I could see how something like that could work, since apparently you can only buy items you can find in game. I've never really been a big fan of the whole micro-transaction things, especially when it turns a game into pay-to-win.

When done right, it's good though. For example Blizzard charging money for cosmetic things like pets and mounts. It could work in this case too, but only if it's done right.

What are you guys thoughts on this? And I guess micro-transaction things in general.

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-11 17:27:40

Looking at the site for the game, it actually looks pretty interesting. I have a feeling that the whole paying for items thing could ruin it though.

I understand that they have to make money somehow, since it doesn't have Subscription fees, but like Protagonist said; it should be strictly cosmetic items or skins instead of items that affect gameplay.

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-12 15:15:28

At 9/11/12 04:39 PM, Shade wrote: Cosmetic items are pretty stupid in general if you ask me.

Good grief. Woman like makeup.

Woman need makeup.
Woman eat makeup.

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-12 16:29:43

I find that as long as there is an alternative to obtaining the item, it's perfectly fine. Cause that that point I can say, "stop whining and just go find it"

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-12 17:42:48

I don't mind the in-game cash thing as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage. There should be a way to get cash shop items with free gameplay, unless it's strictly cosmetic shit.

I think the best way to do it would be just to exploit laziness and offer bonus exp and gold/currency.

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-13 04:21:17

It would be rare for me to pay real world cash for a permanent item, never mind one that I can lose. Although I do like their decision to do this. It prevents the game from become a pay to win experience yet at the same time they can still profit from the people who are retarded enough to pay real money for this kind of stuff. It's a win win for them really.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-13 07:15:19

Well at least you can still find them in the game's world apparently, so at least you're not forced to pay if you ever want decent equipment.

Still, I don't really like the idea that much. I think putting something real at stake might take the fun factor out of the game somewhat. I mean, I can imagine plenty of people in the game will get really fucking pissed if they die/lose and have to pay for their items again. Not sure if that will create a nice community around the game (more sore losers around and people who take the game a little too seriously...).

As for micro-transactions in general; the only game I have that uses them is Team Fortress 2 and I have never bothered with it. I think it's just stupid to pay money for some silly hat or gimmicky thing that won't even affect the gameplay in any way.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-13 09:49:54

I am fine with buying things for games but only if they don't effect gameplay, so you don't get an advanatage over someone who doesn't pay, as that just makes things shit unless you spend loads of money especially in pvp games.

As for what they should sell, skins for sure, skins are always fun to have if you like the game, but you should have the skins FOREVER when you buy them and NOT loose them, that sounds so stupid if they made that.

Take League of Legends for example, I bought some skins on there for characters I enjoy playing, perfectly fine with that permanent buy to increase my pleasure playing especially since it doesn't actually effect the game at all except for hoe my character appears and the animations and sounds of the moves etc. I wouldn't want anything further than that really.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Would You Pay For An Item Lost... 2012-09-13 20:01:28

At 9/11/12 04:39 PM, Shade wrote: Cosmetic items are pretty stupid in general if you ask me.

Except if they are hats, right? :C

anyway, I wouldn't buy it if I could lose it, and I doubt the people who would keep buying stuff would make up for people who aren't going to buy something because of this.

If they want people to keep buying stuff, they should keep coming out with new stuff, like valve and hats.