00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Something I learned about Copyright

1,455 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So I was in class today. And my teacher told us that making a self copyright by emailing the song to yourself or posting it online isn't good enough anymore because in court, if someone shows up with the legal documentation, that will override anything else that you might have to prove that it is yours.

So that being, does new grounds protect against this if you upload your tracks online? Someone could easily copyright your song and they could get away with it.

Also, what is the easiest way to copyright songs? I really want to copyright ASAP O_o

Check out my pages!

Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 00:09:22

There is a good deal of info out there as to why this is correct.
The 'poor mans copyright' is easily faked.

Moreover, it is technically copyrighted as soon as the work is put on a tangible medium, named, and given the copyright symbology.

The number 1 thing to do is file it with your country's Copyright Office.
Linky to US COPYRIGHT OFFICE

They keep the record and is the textbook way of finishing off your protection.

Choosing not to do this, the second best option is to have AS MUCH PROOF THAT YOU CREATED IT AS POSSIBLE.

Put a song on a CD and label it.
Do the poor mans copyright
Put it on the internet
Stow it away with witnesses that can notarize.
Give out copies
ETC ETC

Every bit of proof will help you in the court of law.
But best to just have it recorded at the US Copyright Offices if you are that intent on protecting it.

Newgrounds operates under a CC license.
I'm sure you'll hear more about that below

BBS Signature

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 00:12:31

At 9/7/12 11:58 PM, stunkel wrote: So that being, does new grounds protect against this if you upload your tracks online? Someone could easily copyright your song and they could get away with it.

By releasing under a Creative Commons license (as you do on NewGrounds), you effectively rescind your copyright. Why? Because you've given up some of your exclusive rights (distribution, derivative works, and reproduction), there's no way to get them back.

Also, what is the easiest way to copyright songs? I really want to copyright ASAP O_o

File with your country's Copyright Office. For the U.S., it's copyright.gov -- it costs $35 for basic online registration. Multiply that by the number of songs you have, since each one has to be filed separately. Also bear in mind that the actual composition and the SOUND RECORDING are two different copyrights. (Technically, on NewGrounds, you're only extending the rights to distribute - with attribution - and create derivative works using the sound recording you uploaded.)

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 00:13:33

At 9/8/12 12:09 AM, RobSoundtrack wrote: There is a good deal of info out there as to why this is correct.
The 'poor mans copyright' is easily faked.

Moreover, it is technically copyrighted as soon as the work is put on a tangible medium, named, and given the copyright symbology.

The number 1 thing to do is file it with your country's Copyright Office.
Linky to US COPYRIGHT OFFICE
Newgrounds operates under a CC license.
I'm sure you'll hear more about that below

So does it cost anything to copyright music then? And does the CC license that Newgrounds operates under protect my music?

Check out my pages!

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 02:14:58

At 9/8/12 12:13 AM, stunkel wrote: So does it cost anything to copyright music then? And does the CC license that Newgrounds operates under protect my music?

Check this link out: US Copyright Office basically if you file online it's $35 otherwise it's $65. I'm assuming you live in the US?

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 02:17:50

Also, the newgrounds CC license may protect you but I'm not sure. It's always a good idea to file a copyright with your country's copyright office.

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 02:22:31

At 9/8/12 12:13 AM, stunkel wrote: So does it cost anything to copyright music then? And does the CC license that Newgrounds operates under protect my music?

Officially copyrighting something, be it under US or UK law, is going to cost quite the sum. Also, the CC license does give limited protection: Attribution -- Noncommercial -- Share Alike, which essentially means:

1) The person MUST credit you if he's using your song.
2) The song cannot be taken from NG and used under a commercial licence. If someone wants to use it for commercial purposes, he'll have to ask you directly.
3) If someone makes a remix of your song, he can only upload it under a similar licence (essentially CC--BY--SA; he cannot copyright it for himself).

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 02:33:19

At 9/8/12 02:22 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Officially copyrighting something, be it under US or UK law, is going to cost quite the sum. Also, the CC license does give limited protection: Attribution -- Noncommercial -- Share Alike, which essentially means:

1) The person MUST credit you if he's using your song.
2) The song cannot be taken from NG and used under a commercial licence. If someone wants to use it for commercial purposes, he'll have to ask you directly.
3) If someone makes a remix of your song, he can only upload it under a similar licence (essentially CC--BY--SA; he cannot copyright it for himself).

I don't know if this has been said, but I just want to add on to this and say that the Creative Commons license costs nothing. At least last time I checked it was free. Creative Commons Website

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 03:55:36

In the US. BMI is pretty unexpensive. By which I mean free last I checked. I've yet to decide, but I think I'll go with ASCAP . Same basic coverage though on stuff like that,

It's only really a problem if youre a combination of at least relatively skilled and quite unlucky.

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 05:08:44

"poor man's copyright" is the law here in australia, but the onus is on you to look after your rights unless you're a member of a P.R.O.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-08 15:17:46

Ok, so let's say that I have my music for download on multiple sites such as sound cloud and band camp. Someone downloads my song for free on sound cloud, meaning that they never see the rules that apply on new grounds. Do the rules on new grounds still apply even when someone downloads the same exact song on a different website?

Check out my pages!

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-10 05:33:07

Just throwing this out there, if you file a copyright with the Government you just have to file a single recording, but that does not mean you have to file it by itself. You can copyright a CD, and by extension everything on that CD. This cuts the cost a bit.

Not sure if this was covered, but it might help.

BBS Signature

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-10 08:44:33

At 9/8/12 04:18 PM, Computer112 wrote: Even if it does apply, rule is an illusion if there is no one to enforce on the wrongdoers. If you are so afraid of people downloading your music without reading the sheep rules then don't upload it to public, simple.

I want to add -- still one has to make the difference between fair use and outright wanting to use the song for profit. Now NG's policy on covers is faaaaaaar better than most other sites (YouTube included). If anyone here is a fan of Erutan (a.k.a. katethegreat19), her channel got removed by YouTube yesterday for alleged copyright infringement when in fact, there were no copyrighted samples involved, and all the musical arrangement was hers. And her versions of the songs were downloadable, as you would expect from NG.

Downloadable music is always good to get the word forward about an artist, but we can't expect it to be used as an outright method of getting songs by desperate people who want songs without money. As much as it happens all the time. That having been said, OP, you would expect your songs to be downloadable over here on NG.... you wouldn't file a DMCA claim for someone who downloads your song and makes a cover version of it while citing you, would you?

The best thing to do is know what the copyright rules are all about, where and how they apply, and if you're so hell-bent on protecting your best songs, then seek protection where it is due.

Response to Something I learned about Copyright 2012-09-10 10:11:04

At 9/7/12 11:58 PM, stunkel wrote: So I was in class today. And my teacher told us that making a self copyright by emailing the song to yourself or posting it online isn't good enough anymore because in court, if someone shows up with the legal documentation, that will override anything else that you might have to prove that it is yours.

You're sure they didn't mean snail-mailing? I'd heard years ago if you sealed an envelope with 'proof' inside, that it would somehow be a valid document to use in court...

...not sure how valid that is, only rumor.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.