00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

razzzle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Knights Who Say Ni

3,614 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-04 16:22:03

I've tried this already, and I searched the forums for a Monty Python club and found none. So I'm starting this one up for the hell of it.
For those who don't know, Monty Python was possibly the funniest and most groundbreaking comedy troupe of all time. Look some of their stuff up, they're still hysterical even today.

The Knights Who Say Ni were an integral group of characters in what I consider to be their best film, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," possibly the first modern spoof film. Think the crappy Scary Movie ripoffs, but if they were really good.

I hope this club works out. Because I love Monty Python and hopefully there's some Newgrounders who love it too.
And for the moderators: if there's a Monty Python club already, I couldn't find one.

And to start you all off, my favorite Python sketch: How Not To Be Seen

Glides

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-04 16:44:59

I wish to become a Knight Who Says NI you will have my sword and allegiance!

NI!

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-04 21:21:17

At 9/4/12 04:35 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote: I love the animation in Monty Python. Terry Gilliam is a talented man.

My favorite sequence has to be the into to "The Meaning of Life".

"The Holy Grail" is my favorite movie by them from a comedic perspective.

I've never seen "The Meaning of Life." So I can't really argue that point. Considering it is Python, it's probably good.

Then I dub thee Sir Whatever-Your-Name-Is

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-04 21:42:36

At 9/4/12 09:21 PM, Glides wrote:
Then I dub thee Sir Whatever-Your-Name-Is

then I am Sir DarkGrave of NI I shall be a Master Knight in your crusades!

NI!

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-05 20:09:59

At 9/4/12 11:34 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote:
At 9/4/12 09:21 PM, Glides wrote: I've never seen "The Meaning of Life." So I can't really argue that point. Considering it is Python, it's probably good.
It's actually not very good. It's more a collection of skits. The only part I liked was the intro animation, the intro skit, and a few of the skits about sex. The rest was kind of boring and just not funny.

Well good on me not to see it then. But Holy Grail and Life of Brian are amazing, and so are some of their sketches.

then I am Sir DarkGrave of NI I shall be a Master Knight in your crusades!

Welcome aboard, good sir knight. You will bang many coconut halves together in your glorious endeavors!

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-06 14:32:12

Monty Python was great. I've seen every episode of Flying Circus. I agree that the Meaning of Life is not good, but Life of Brian and Holy Grail were very funny. And I love Terry Gilliam's films. 12 Monkeys, Brazil, Time Bandits, and the Adventures of Baron Munchausen are all awesome movies.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-06 20:05:02

At 9/6/12 02:32 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Monty Python was great. I've seen every episode of Flying Circus. I agree that the Meaning of Life is not good, but Life of Brian and Holy Grail were very funny. And I love Terry Gilliam's films. 12 Monkeys, Brazil, Time Bandits, and the Adventures of Baron Munchausen are all awesome movies.

All very well and good. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, even with Heath Ledger, was easily one of the worst movies ever made. It was so half-assed because they finished it too fast. Proving that Gilliam lost his touch.
However, Cleese is still just as funny as ever, even if he's been in some truly crappy films lately.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-07 00:17:53

I absolutely enjoy Monty Python to all its glory. My favorite skit? Hm....I hate to say, but it's a three-way tie between: Upper Class Twit of the Year, Self-Defense Against Fresh Fruit, and the Arguement Clinic. I have watched almost all of the episodes of Flying Circus and have watched Holy Grail and parts of The Meaning of Life (just sad that Python made that).

Of course, if I were to pick my favorite bit out of the Holy Grail, it would be the Black Knight scene. Genius....okay, maybe not exactly called genius, but still well-done nonetheless.

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-07 01:55:28

At 9/7/12 12:17 AM, Trapex wrote: I absolutely enjoy Monty Python to all its glory. My favorite skit? Hm....I hate to say, but it's a three-way tie between: Upper Class Twit of the Year, Self-Defense Against Fresh Fruit, and the Arguement Clinic. I have watched almost all of the episodes of Flying Circus and have watched Holy Grail and parts of The Meaning of Life (just sad that Python made that).

Of course, if I were to pick my favorite bit out of the Holy Grail, it would be the Black Knight scene. Genius....okay, maybe not exactly called genius, but still well-done nonetheless.

Excellent choices, all. I would love to suggest Dead Parrot, but that's the obvious choice. So for my favorite Flying Circus sketch, it would have to be this one. Because NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
As for the Holy Grail, it would have to be The Tale of Sir Lancelot
If any of you haven't seen either yet, watch them now, and prepare to die laughing.
Ni!
Sir Glides the Not-Quite-As-Brave-As-Trapex

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-07 04:57:06

I say I must take my leave there is a incursion of scantily clad savages pillaging Villages!

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-07 12:07:48

So, a Monty Python club I see. I'll have to join up for this. Is there so kind of ritual that I have to do to get in? Maybe cut down a tree with a Herring? It's a shame that we (presumably) all missed out on the rise of the Pythons.

My favourite was And Now For Something Completely Different, gotta love that level of random.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-07 16:54:36

ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-08 16:34:39

At 9/7/12 04:57 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: I say I must take my leave there is a incursion of scantily clad savages pillaging Villages!

Villages, you say? Most inconvenient. Luckily, I have Bicycle-Repairman on speed-dial.

So, a Monty Python club I see. I'll have to join up for this. Is there so kind of ritual that I have to do to get in? Maybe cut : down a tree with a Herring? It's a shame that we (presumably) all missed out on the rise of the Pythons.

My dad was the one who got me hooked on Monty Python, and I saw The Holy Grail when I was eight. From then on, I was a fan for life. In order to join, you must merely perform your best silly walk.

My favourite was And Now For Something Completely Different, gotta love that level of random.

Never seen that one either. You're all outdoing me here.

I've seen Life of Brian, my good Sir.

Excellent choice, easily one of the great movies of all time.

ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!

NI-PING-NEE-WOM! I win.

I do hope you mean it was one of his worst movies rather than being infact one of the worst in all respects. Because it : really wasn't that bad. Especially considering Heath Ledger died mid way through filming it.

That was one of the reasons why it was as bad as it was. If Heath Ledger hadn't died, it would have probably been as good as the rest of Gilliam's work.

Out of the ones not mentioned my two favourite scetches from Monty Phythons flying circus are:
Camp Squad Drill
Kamikaze Scotsmen
And I prefer Life of Brian to The Holy Grail.

When it comes to Python, there's really no way to figure out what is better.

I doth pledge mine sword to the quest of finding the perfect shrubbery!

Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Post just informed me you all can join. Send him some rat tart (with only a little rat in it) and he'll process your forms.
Remember, chums, Always Look On The Bright Side of Life.
Sir Glides

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-08 17:02:20

A Monty Python Club? I have to say, my nipples explode with delight!

One thing that got really stuck after watching every Flying Circus Episode was that "Oh, Mr. Belpit! Your legs are so swollen!" from season 2.

Also, the camelot song is pretty catchy. I even went to Doune Castle once. That's the castle where most of the scenes for Knights of the Holy Grail where shot. You can even buy plastic catapults there, that throw tiny plastic cows!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-09 00:35:24

At 9/8/12 05:02 PM, Haggard wrote: A Monty Python Club? I have to say, my nipples explode with delight!

One thing that got really stuck after watching every Flying Circus Episode was that "Oh, Mr. Belpit! Your legs are so swollen!" from season 2.

Also, the camelot song is pretty catchy. I even went to Doune Castle once. That's the castle where most of the scenes for Knights of the Holy Grail where shot. You can even buy plastic catapults there, that throw tiny plastic cows!

I especially love the bit where it cuts to the prisoner, clapping away. That's pretty awesome to go to the actual castle, I wish I had a plastic catapult.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-10 22:12:48

Is anybody else here a fan of Terry Gilliam? If you are, you should check out this French movie called City of Lost Children, directed by Jean Pierre Jeunet. If it were an English language film, I'd swear it was directed by Gilliam. It reminds me so much of his movies, and it's fantastic.

Also, if anybody here likes Gilliam's movie, 12 Monkeys, then watch the short film that inspired him to make it, la Jetee. I'm pretty sure you can watch it on Youtube. It's great.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-11 02:13:54

Ha, ha! Anyone old enough to remember this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Complete_Waste _of_Time

It was an insane waste of time, but every bit as ludicrous and delightful as the TV series! I got halfway through and got stuck, and since it was before the internet came to my town, I had no walkthrough :( It's really worth a look if you can find it, and aren't squeamish about ancient DOS/WIN software.

Here's the aggregated review page at mobygames http://www.mobygames.com/game/monty-pythons-complete-waste-o f-time

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-11 23:02:40

At 9/11/12 02:13 AM, VicariousE wrote: Ha, ha! Anyone old enough to remember this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Complete_Waste _of_Time

It was an insane waste of time, but every bit as ludicrous and delightful as the TV series! I got halfway through and got stuck, and since it was before the internet came to my town, I had no walkthrough :( It's really worth a look if you can find it, and aren't squeamish about ancient DOS/WIN software.

Here's the aggregated review page at mobygames http://www.mobygames.com/game/monty-pythons-complete-waste-o f-time

Honestly never heard of it, my good sir. Still, if you want to join, the castle doors are wide open.
Sir Glides of the Knights Who Say Ni

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-12 02:09:41

At 9/11/12 11:02 PM, Glides wrote: Honestly never heard of it, my good sir. Still, if you want to join, the castle doors are wide open.

I humbly accept your invitation kind sir, and I do have an shrubbery.... around here somewhere.
Actually there isn't anything quite that posh at my place :( We had a rash of car eating cats barrel though here last year and the ol' spread hasn't quite recovered. The larch tree is holding it's own though - the ablative Spam-Can armor's been doing quite nicely.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-12 18:27:55

At 9/12/12 02:09 AM, VicariousE wrote:
At 9/11/12 11:02 PM, Glides wrote: Honestly never heard of it, my good sir. Still, if you want to join, the castle doors are wide open.
I humbly accept your invitation kind sir, and I do have an shrubbery.... around here somewhere.
Actually there isn't anything quite that posh at my place :( We had a rash of car eating cats barrel though here last year and the ol' spread hasn't quite recovered. The larch tree is holding it's own though - the ablative Spam-Can armor's been doing quite nicely.

My good friend Mr. Neutron has agreed to locate your shrubbery in exchange for a spoon and a large container of ice cream. He's got a strange obsession with the stuff. I hereby dub thee Sir Vicarious the French (you have a pic of Asterix, so yeah). Ride now to Camelot (or at least the model).
Sir Glides

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-14 01:35:24

At 9/12/12 06:27 PM, Glides wrote: My good friend Mr. Neutron has agreed to locate your shrubbery in exchange for a spoon and a large container of ice cream. He's got a strange obsession with the stuff. I hereby dub thee Sir Vicarious the French (you have a pic of Asterix, so yeah). Ride now to Camelot (or at least the model).
Sir Glides

Surprised you know of this little Gaulish warrior! As for my wayward shrubbery, it's a deal, though, what passes for real ice cream these days is sad.

In the mid to late 90's, I fiended for MPFC online (no mean feat). Do they even air it on TV anymore? I think, other than PBS, MTV had run it a while back then, but just stopped.... I think it's time to try and find a few 3 season episodes (thanks to my neighbor's WiFi) - they were the best!

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-14 09:01:34

Perhaps it's because I'm a dirty pervert, but I do love the Seduced Milkman Sketch

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-18 17:39:03

At 9/9/12 12:35 AM, Glides wrote: I especially love the bit where it cuts to the prisoner, clapping away. That's pretty awesome to go to the actual castle, I wish I had a plastic catapult.

Me too. But they are pretty expensive. :(

Also, The Lumberjack Song. Michael Palin singing in german!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-20 03:50:38

This YouTube page seems to be the 21st century remnants of that old chestnut we love so much. But is it an expired Crunchy Frog? Or a nice fresh Dutch choco?

And what's this book? Many years ago, a friend of mine had read it and never loaned it to me :( Who knew?

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-23 01:40:12

At 9/22/12 02:44 AM, Lasse wrote: there is nothing worse than people who think they are funny or clever by quoting monty python

They may not be clever or funny themselves, but the original material always will be.

that said, good luck

Thank you very much. This is mainly dedicated to the appreciation of their genius, so you should fit right in.

That being said,
Ni.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-09-30 05:19:38

Well, I will say this: very few TV shows have ever done the comedy-variety genre as well as Monty Python. The only other one I can think of would be Kids in the Hall, and that only did well, because it was on cable TV, and had the latitude to be as raunchy as writers wanted it to be. It also helped that many of the stars were eccentric homosexuals....

Because MPFC was funded by British TV license money and not advertisers, the writers and cast were able to free-associate the writing in their scripts, without interference.

The shining mark of the series, is the way it was written. "...and now, for something completely different" was just a mind-trick. No matter how disassociated the bits seemed, they all tied into to one another, and in the same episode as well.

BBS Signature

Response to The Knights Who Say Ni 2012-10-05 20:40:48

One of Monty Python's third season bits got me thinking a few years ago... It was called "Salad Days", and was intended to be a rather messy nod to Sam Peckinpah, and his movie "Straw Dogs" (which I have yet to watch).
But Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" was the one I really loved. It's far from your typical Western and has the best stars of the period being Western outlaws during the first World War, when automobiles and airplanes were just beginning to have "an effect on the landscape". If you like bloody action/adventures with realistic characters, "The Wild Bunch" is your treat in waiting.

BBS Signature