00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chineeztac0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Playlist chrome extension.

3,668 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 06:02:57

Hey, guys.

I love the music that people post on newgrounds/audio, though the portal itslef, in my opinion, lacks the playlist functionality. So, long story short, I've created a simple Google Chrome extension that converts any newgrounds.com/audio/browse page into a playlist and plays it in a new tab (attached image of how it currently looks like).

I've created this extension for myself and I'm willing to share it with the community as soon as it looks more or less presentable.

My question would be, does it violate any rules or copyrights and whatnot?

Playlist chrome extension.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 08:51:58

Nope, that's actually a really awesome idea. Just make sure you give due credit and don't make money out of it.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 09:28:17

At 7/5/12 08:51 AM, Step wrote: Nope, that's actually a really awesome idea. Just make sure you give due credit and don't make money out of it.

Actually I want to make this extension free and opensource, so no money profits for me.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 11:55:11

Here it is. Still w.i.p. If it does break some rules, please, let me know, so I can make things right or tear the repository down.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 13:29:46

cool. Does it work with userpages as well?

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 13:51:39

'Bout time something like this came up. I've wanted something like this for years.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 13:55:50

Holy crap this is brilliant. Very easy to toggle the playlist, and a good design too. Massive thanks.

You should definitely get it to work in userpages if you get the time. Perhaps some manual mode too where you input links to Audio Portal submissions in a box and make/save your own playlists.

But that being said, this is a fantastic extension. Thanks again.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 13:59:32

Sorry for double post, but I had to make this suggestion as I didn't see it anywhere on the program page:
It would be a really nice feature if you could export a playlist file so that users can put that file into their dumping grounds and share it with other people who like to do that sort of thing.

just that extra little bit that helps artists get exposure from curious people

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 14:04:46

Lovely stuff! Will try it out

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 14:08:48

Hey, everyone. Thanks for the great feedback. I'll try to fulfill as many feature-requests as possible. Maybe will do an update tomorrow or during weekend.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-05 16:15:04

Excellent extension, Dmitriy! I notice you used jQuery for this plugin, well done.

I think you can post this on the General forum to get more people to try it out also.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-06 09:12:08

At 7/5/12 04:15 PM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote: Excellent extension, Dmitriy! I notice you used jQuery for this plugin, well done.

I think you can post this on the General forum to get more people to try it out also.

Thanks! Yeah, I can't imagine doing anything without jQuery it's a lifesaver. And thanks for the idea about general forum I'll do it right now.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-06 09:28:49

Forgot to mention. I've updated the extension. It has new newground-ish colors and plays some pages other than from the 'browse' section.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-07 15:09:26

Bug report: sometimes when listening to music with the playlist, it just randomly stops and when I start it again, it starts from the beginning. It seems to happen at random moments, sometimes twice in one song and sometimes not even once in a song. So far it has happened to me four times.

Browser: Chrome v20.0.1132.47

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-07 17:02:41

At 7/7/12 03:09 PM, Step wrote: Bug report: sometimes when listening to music with the playlist, it just randomly stops and when I start it again, it starts from the beginning. It seems to happen at random moments, sometimes twice in one song and sometimes not even once in a song. So far it has happened to me four times.

Browser: Chrome v20.0.1132.47

Yeah, it's because server stops responding or because of lost connection. It's 3rd party library's problem, but I'll try to fix it asap.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-08 15:53:15

At 7/7/12 05:02 PM, d-bismark wrote: Yeah, it's because server stops responding or because of lost connection. It's 3rd party library's problem, but I'll try to fix it asap.

Updated. Player will retry to get the audio from current position if stopped by connection issues.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-08 19:03:00

At 7/8/12 03:53 PM, d-bismark wrote: Updated. Player will retry to get the audio from current position if stopped by connection issues.

You're awesome.

I'll post in this thread if the issue persists.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-10 15:50:54

Another small update:
Bunch of bugfixes, which were introduced in previous version.
Ability to add tracks to the current playlist.
Current playlist gets saved between sessions.
New icons and some other small improvements.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-10 16:08:41

At 7/10/12 03:50 PM, d-bismark wrote: Another small update:

Man, you deserve so much more recognition for this. This is fantastic. Perhaps you can PM Tom about it so he can add it to a newspost or something. I know it was something the NG staff wanted to implement in the past as well.

Some aesthetic stuff: I preferred the old circular icon to this new one, and also, I would've personally preferred it if the titles near the CD icons of the songs in the playlist were vertically centred like they are on Newgrounds (basically I think they're better if you move them upwards a little as shown in this pic).

That's just my opinion though. This is otherwise very well-coded, intuitive and 101% awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-10 16:15:18

At 7/10/12 04:08 PM, Step wrote:
At 7/10/12 03:50 PM, d-bismark wrote: Another small update:
Man, you deserve so much more recognition for this. This is fantastic. Perhaps you can PM Tom about it so he can add it to a newspost or something. I know it was something the NG staff wanted to implement in the past as well.

I don't think Tom will push this on NG frontpage (I wouldn't if I was him, for example).

Some aesthetic stuff: I preferred the old circular icon to this new one, and also, I would've personally preferred it if the titles near the CD icons of the songs in the playlist were vertically centred like they are on Newgrounds (basically I think they're better if you move them upwards a little as shown in this pic).

Yep, need to center those titles. Will do. And need to do something with icons as well. Details, details.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-10 16:40:36

At 7/10/12 04:15 PM, d-bismark wrote: I don't think Tom will push this on NG frontpage (I wouldn't if I was him, for example).

You know it might not be a bad idea. Tom said in an interview in the past that audio playlists was one thing he wanted to implement and your extension does it excellently. And hey, perhaps they might use your extension as a basis to what they might implement in the future.

It seems to have happened already in other features. Some Greasemonkey scripts made by the users were turned into/inspired full features in the redesign. The online forum indicator and direct linking to posts (by clicking on the subject header of each forum post) were all just Greasemonkey scripts before the redesign, for example.

Yep, need to center those titles. Will do. And need to do something with icons as well. Details, details.

Awesome, thanks! Oh two little suggestions. Do you think it might be possible to add the extension icon to normal audio submission pages and be able to click on it to add it to your playlist?

Also, do you think there's a way of putting in speed-up and slow-down buttons to the audio player to make the song play slower or faster? The second feature might seem a bit silly but it'll actually be extremely helpful for audio moderating, especially when trying to hear some potentially-copyrighted vocals or samples slowly. I doubt it's possible/feasible, but if it is I will be forever grateful if you implemented that :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-11 13:36:21

At 7/10/12 04:40 PM, Step wrote:
At 7/10/12 04:15 PM, d-bismark wrote: I don't think Tom will push this on NG frontpage (I wouldn't if I was him, for example).
You know it might not be a bad idea. Tom said in an interview in the past that audio playlists was one thing he wanted to implement and your extension does it excellently. And hey, perhaps they might use your extension as a basis to what they might implement in the future.

Let me at least make it as usable as a common shitty desktop player. Then I'll probably start shouting about my brand new cool extension everywhere I can.

, need to center those titles. Will do. And need to do something with icons as well. Details, details.

Awesome, thanks! Oh two little suggestions. Do you think it might be possible to add the extension icon to normal audio submission pages and be able to click on it to add it to your playlist?

If normal means "ng/audio/listen/track_id" pages, then yes, of course. In fact I want to implement ability to grab music from anywhere on NG where you can see some music info.

Also, do you think there's a way of putting in speed-up and slow-down buttons to the audio player to make the song play slower or faster? The second feature might seem a bit silly but it'll actually be extremely helpful for audio moderating, especially when trying to hear some potentially-copyrighted vocals or samples slowly. I doubt it's possible/feasible, but if it is I will be forever grateful if you implemented that :P.

That's what I'd call a fresh idea. Chrome actually was able to alter playback rate, but they either turned this feature off or broke it in recent versions of the browser. I'll keep an eye on the news and as soon as they bring full HTML5 support for an audio tag to Chrome you'll have your speed-up and slow-down buttons.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-11 17:12:19

You know what? Chrome 20 actually does support playback rate alteration. Next version will have this feature as an experimental, deal?

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-11 17:49:04

At 7/11/12 05:12 PM, d-bismark wrote: You know what? Chrome 20 actually does support playback rate alteration. Next version will have this feature as an experimental, deal?

That would be fantastic. We have a definite deal.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-11 18:05:45

At 7/11/12 05:49 PM, Step wrote:
At 7/11/12 05:12 PM, d-bismark wrote: You know what? Chrome 20 actually does support playback rate alteration. Next version will have this feature as an experimental, deal?
That would be fantastic. We have a definite deal.

Cool. There are some limits, though. Playback can't be slower than x0.5 and can't be faster then x3 or so.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-27 09:37:32

Guess what? Update.

- Extended list of supported pages. Now supporting submission page, NG and NGAP frontpages.
- Player controls now always reside at the top of a player window and window is scrolled to the current track automatically.
- Added playback ratio controls and 'clear all' button (you can find these in the sliding panel below player controls).
- Some non-functional UI improvements and fixes.

UI design and icons are crap, yeah, didn't put a lot of effort there. And if playback rate is changed, then sound quality drops significantly , but there's nothing I can do about that - that's how Chrome works for now.

Response to Playlist chrome extension. 2012-07-28 18:44:12

At 7/27/12 09:37 AM, d-bismark wrote: Guess what? Update.

- Extended list of supported pages. Now supporting submission page, NG and NGAP frontpages.
- Player controls now always reside at the top of a player window and window is scrolled to the current track automatically.
- Added playback ratio controls and 'clear all' button (you can find these in the sliding panel below player controls).
- Some non-functional UI improvements and fixes.

UI design and icons are crap, yeah, didn't put a lot of effort there. And if playback rate is changed, then sound quality drops significantly , but there's nothing I can do about that - that's how Chrome works for now.

That's just awesome. It has become by far my favourite Newgrounds extension ever. One tiny thing I need to point out is that when you click the '...' to open additional options, the pane slides down over the playlist, rather than pushing the playlist down as well. Nothing serious though. It's fantastic overall.

BBS Signature