00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4ng3lzh4untm3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how to make rap beats?!

1,937 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-20 22:43:01

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to make beats to rap over, like on the radio, I'm not sure which program they are using, they sound so cool though, if anyone could help I would be grateful, thanks.

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 00:42:41

Most rap artists use FL studios. It has what you are looking for.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 00:48:52

At 6/21/12 12:42 AM, sweet21 wrote: Most rap artists use FL studios. It has what you are looking for.

I thought FL Studio was for techno?

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 01:03:00

At 6/21/12 12:48 AM, apocalypseven wrote:
At 6/21/12 12:42 AM, sweet21 wrote: Most rap artists use FL studios. It has what you are looking for.
I thought FL Studio was for techno?

Anyone who tells you that a certain DAW is for writing a certain style of music is full of crap. You can write in any style with any DAW.

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 01:42:12

At 6/21/12 01:03 AM, RampantMusik wrote:
Anyone who tells you that a certain DAW is for writing a certain style of music is full of crap. You can write in any style with any DAW.

Yeah, but how do you do that? That's like saying you can drive a car on water or fly a plane on the road, its not easy to do.

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 01:56:51

At 6/21/12 01:42 AM, apocalypseven wrote:
Yeah, but how do you do that? That's like saying you can drive a car on water or fly a plane on the road, its not easy to do.

If composition was a skill that could be imparted through a forum, then everyone with access to the internet would be rivaling Beethoven and Mozart.

While you could learn a little music theory - places like musictheory.net cover the basics pretty well - and that would certainly help, listening to a lot of music and 'picking' it apart is really one of the best ways to learn. Start big: listen to the form of the rap tracks you like. Is it in binary (e.g. Verse-Chorus) form? Is there an intro, outro, or a bridge between one of the choruses and the following verse (or, between the verse and the following chorus)? Are there any 'odd' sections that fall in between there, where its empty space?

Once you've found the form of the song, you should start listening to individual instruments. The drums and the bass are usually the two most important instruments in rap (because they keep the beat and lay the foundation for the flow of the lyrics above them). Notice how both parts change, or even stay the same, throughout the track. Listen to the vocals: how do they change as the bass and drum change?

How are other instruments used? Synths, strings, pianos, guitars, other percussion, etc. Frequently, more instruments are added as the track goes on, which keeps it more dynamic and prevents it from becoming too repetitive.

Now, for bass, anything will do. Real bass guitar, virtual bass guitars, synth basses, anything. For drums, you usually have several kits layered on top of each other: the Roland TR-808 kit forms the basis of most commercial hip-hop tracks because it has a really booming kick and a very tight, snappy snare. On top of that, you can layer other kick drums, other snares, any hi-hats, crash and ride symbols... there's not really any 'rules' in what you can do.

I know there are other beatmakers here who are far better at what they d than I am. You could try contacting users like feckthisshet, AxTekk, or boney-man and asking how they work or how they get inspiration for tracks, any tips or tricks they might be willing to share (such as their DAW, choice of instrumentation, etc.).

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 06:49:24

At 6/21/12 01:42 AM, apocalypseven wrote:

Case in point:

The WHOLE THING was written in FL Studio 10, from start to end. So there.

Any style can be written on FL Studio 10, if one makes the effort to do so. FL Studio 10 is precisely what it is: a sequencer, and sequencers can be used for any genre.

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 10:19:04

Well i use FL Studio to make hip-hop beats, well the only advice i know is that rap beats shouldnt be very complicated, but not too simple enough, remember the center of rap songs are lyrics

Only the champions and winners click the link :P

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 11:09:31

all the fail.

all the fail

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 16:55:19

At 6/21/12 10:19 AM, ESTAR48 wrote: Well i use FL Studio to make hip-hop beats, well the only advice i know is that rap beats shouldnt be very complicated,

This is were you guys are wrong, rap beats are not simple, you think they are made by a bunch of dumb negros, there is a lot going on in them you don't catch, they layer track after track very well with unique rhythms.

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 16:59:19

This pretty much. I can play jazz in FL if I want to.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 17:04:27

At 6/21/12 04:55 PM, apocalypseven wrote: This is were you guys are wrong, rap beats are not simple, you think they are made by a bunch of dumb negros, there is a lot going on in them you don't catch, they layer track after track very well with unique rhythms.

you forgot this:
...but not too simple enough :P

Only the champions and winners click the link :P

BBS Signature

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 20:50:00

At 6/21/12 04:55 PM, apocalypseven wrote:
At 6/21/12 10:19 AM, ESTAR48 wrote: Well i use FL Studio to make hip-hop beats, well the only advice i know is that rap beats shouldnt be very complicated,
This is were you guys are wrong, rap beats are not simple, you think they are made by a bunch of dumb negros, there is a lot going on in them you don't catch, they layer track after track very well with unique rhythms.

..."You guys"?

Oi, don't start targeting everyone just because one person got it wrong, 'kay?

Having actually used FL Studio for a year and a half, I know precisely what it's like to layer track after track with unique rhythms. And there are people here on NG who know this better than I do, because of their experience and perhaps even their learning speed. Like I said, any genre can be made on that thing, provided that one puts the effort. I EMPHASISE THE WORD EFFORT.

Making very good pieces isn't going to be simple whatever the genre, unless it's just filler material, and I know you're not after filler material.

Response to how to make rap beats?! 2012-06-21 21:03:28

At 6/21/12 04:55 PM, apocalypseven wrote:

And to clear the air, might I also mention that ESTAR is right: he was trying to say that there needs to be a balance between simple and complex rhythms, because after all, the focus is on the lyrics. I mean, we can make all the rhythms we want on any sequencer, but what good is that if they're going to be drowned by the lyrics? Balance is key, and I'm confident that was what he was trying to say even though he didn't present it well.