00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

'Text adventure' script?

1,387 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-16 00:38:09

I'm a total, total noob to ActionScript.

All the programming work I've practiced is primitive C++, and, quite frankly, I have no clue how ActionScript syntax works.

Anyway, I'm making an old school text-based adventure game. I really only need two basic scripts for the game, but seeing as I don't know ActionScript in the slightest, I'm afraid I'm going to need some help. I require 1) a command bar that allows users to type various commands into the game, which functions differently depending on the scenario and 2) a 'switch' script; basically, if the 'switch' is on when X is typed, the game will do one thing, but if it's off, it'll do another.

I guess I can manage the rest myself, this is all I need. A lot of you have a ton more programming experience than I, and I made the scripts' functions as simple as possible to save you some of the work.

Help, please?

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-16 01:09:28

switch(case) works the same in AS3 as it does in C++, same with 'if' and other core things, it really shouldn't be all that much learning.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-16 10:48:31

At 6/16/12 01:09 AM, MintPaw wrote: switch(case) works the same in AS3 as it does in C++, same with 'if' and other core things, it really shouldn't be all that much learning.

ActionScript has the benefit of being able to use strings with a switch statement, too (whereas C++ cannot).

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-18 01:40:54

At 6/16/12 10:48 AM, Diki wrote:
At 6/16/12 01:09 AM, MintPaw wrote: switch(case) works the same in AS3 as it does in C++, same with 'if' and other core things, it really shouldn't be all that much learning.
ActionScript has the benefit of being able to use strings with a switch statement, too (whereas C++ cannot).

I actually kinda suck at C++ too, I'm just saying I have *some* experience with as opposed to, well, none at all.

Anyway, looks like my question has been answered. Thanks guys.

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-18 15:07:47

At 6/18/12 01:40 AM, T3XT wrote:
At 6/16/12 10:48 AM, Diki wrote:
I actually kinda suck at C++ too, I'm just saying I have *some* experience with as opposed to, well, none at all.

Anyway, looks like my question has been answered. Thanks guys.

It actually wasn't.
The code given is semi-functional, but only with the variables set up right, and whatnot.
Even then, You still have to interpate that code into your games code, as well as synthesize the other code needed.
I can say that with 100% certainty that you will not be able to make this game with your current knowledge base. I suggest learning to code before deciding to make a game.

When will people get it? You have to learn to code if you wan't to make your own games in flash exactly as you want them to be. It's that simple. And it's universally true.

Just get a book on AS3, or even java, or C++.
Read it.
Learn from it.
Practice.
Practice.
Practice.
Sleep.
Practice.
Practice.
Make a Game that's bad and dissapoints you.
Practice.
Practice.
Practice.
Make your dream game!

MY two cents.

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-18 18:12:12

At 6/18/12 03:07 PM, tenentenen wrote: MY two cents.

small modification:
Sleep.
Practice.
Practice.
Make a Game that's bad and dissapoints you. (repeat 10 times)

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-18 21:50:07

At 6/18/12 06:12 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: Make a Game that's bad and dissapoints you. (repeat 10 times wtf man that's not fair)

Aww...I'm at 6 disappointments now, and 4500 lines and 1.5 months into my 7th attempt at something...

Response to 'Text adventure' script? 2012-06-19 11:03:51

At 6/16/12 12:38 AM, T3XT wrote: I'm a total, total noob to ActionScript.

All the programming work I've practiced is primitive C++, and, quite frankly, I have no clue how ActionScript syntax works.

Anyway, I'm making an old school text-based adventure game. I really only need two basic scripts for the game, but seeing as I don't know ActionScript in the slightest, I'm afraid I'm going to need some help. I require 1) a command bar that allows users to type various commands into the game, which functions differently depending on the scenario and 2) a 'switch' script; basically, if the 'switch' is on when X is typed, the game will do one thing, but if it's off, it'll do another.

I guess I can manage the rest myself, this is all I need. A lot of you have a ton more programming experience than I, and I made the scripts' functions as simple as possible to save you some of the work.

Help, please?

why do you not use quest it would make it easier here is link http://www.textadventures.co.uk/quest/
btw am new so let me know if i am allowed to use links

ymcmb gaming