00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improving your illustrations (Hell)

13,621 Views | 99 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 17:40:06

At 5/13/12 05:35 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I'm never going to get that good :(
Better try drawing the cup ._.

No, like i said in my previous post you should try drawing simple shapes and follow the steps until you can draw a humanoid shape out of them. The cup workout was more combining the cylinder simple shape with a gradient to make it look real and then failing miserably at it to show people how much they suck and cant understand something that is insanely more simple than a human being so they would take me a little more seriously about what I am saying about simple shapes first, fancy stuff later.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 18:12:44

I've been practicing anatomy quite a bit lately, been posting them in my art thread. I can never seem to get the right though :(

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 18:57:39

At 5/13/12 06:12 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I've been practicing anatomy quite a bit lately, been posting them in my art thread. I can never seem to get the right though :(

What i am suggesting you draw is not anatomy at all. Simple shapes. I have never once asked anyone to apply anatomy in this thread.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 19:00:28

Took the opportunity to work on lighting and shadow too, but I've now come to realize it goes against the point of the exercise to draw a three dimensional character in a two dimensional pose. Gonna practice more, try more complex poses.

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 19:05:57

At 5/13/12 07:00 PM, Chessplay wrote: Took the opportunity to work on lighting and shadow too, but I've now come to realize it goes against the point of the exercise to draw a three dimensional character in a two dimensional pose. Gonna practice more, try more complex poses.

As well, instead of drawing the arms and legs with stick figure appendages try making them cylinders, you should make them transparent so you can understand the dimensions better. Good luck.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 20:28:20

At 5/13/12 07:05 PM, Template88 wrote: As well, instead of drawing the arms and legs with stick figure appendages try making them cylinders, you should make them transparent so you can understand the dimensions better. Good luck.

I tried giving it a quick go with transparent shapes to create depth and used a reference picture. I was upset with the result and reproduced the picture quickly. I found it a lot easier to produce the depth in drawing the picture completely than with just using basic shapes. I'm having a tougher time with the basics.

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 20:53:29

I tried giving it a quick go with transparent shapes to create depth and used a reference picture. I was upset with the result and reproduced the picture quickly. I found it a lot easier to produce the depth in drawing the picture completely than with just using basic shapes. I'm having a tougher time with the basics.

Thats the point, you think you are having it "easier" with the developed figure but you are drawing it wrong because you dont understand it in its basic form. Instead of making composite shapes make them by themselves until you can draw them from all angles. If you could draw them from all angles and combine them you wouldn't have trouble laying them over something else to get the basic form. Keep at it~

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-13 23:39:48

Oh hey! Wow I love this thread, may I butt in?
I tried drawing them traditionally,but as my scanner doesnt work I guess I have to resort to digital drawing (which I dont like for excercises like this ughh)
models were http://gyazo.com/d2decb286c32760d1be773f3dec95b9c and http://gyazo.com/3b6a4ae92fabafb68e0908c75f99c1b6 (warning,full nudity) from ArtsyPoses.
Please point out if I have any imperfections! Anyways, I am loving the thread already c:

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-14 05:20:21

At 5/13/12 05:14 PM, Template88 wrote: Flowers10
Im worried about people looking at your references and getting hung up on making the gradients of the light and shadow perfect and pretty and having them actually fail at understanding the shapes they create.

Fair enough, I will continue to post my studies in my own thread.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Improving your illustrations (Hell) 2012-05-15 03:04:30

At 5/13/12 08:53 PM, Template88 wrote:
Thats the point, you think you are having it "easier" with the developed figure but you are drawing it wrong because you dont understand it in its basic form. Instead of making composite shapes make them by themselves until you can draw them from all angles. If you could draw them from all angles and combine them you wouldn't have trouble laying them over something else to get the basic form. Keep at it~

Well I kept at it, and came up with this, took a reference picture and tried to produce it from multiple angles. I think I'm understanding what you're saying better.