00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GhostFerret just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Should of" (a rant)

1,704 Views | 21 Replies

"Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 21:53:53

You've probably seen people use this before. Now, you think it'd be an uncommon or rare occurrence, but in reality, it's too damn common. So much so that they no longer realize that they're dismantling proper sentence structure very slowly, and people who correctly word their phrases with "should have" are becoming less common, or maybe even extinct on the internet as we know it.

So you people should have realized that "should of" is not a replacement for "should have/should've".

TL;DR: "Should of" is not the correct wording, "should have" is.

gorp

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 21:55:23

Does it change anything

Nope.

I should of not entered this topic.

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 21:55:36

When I hear people say "Should of" my mind just processes it as "Should've" because they sound exactly alike.

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 21:57:32

this is a common occurance?
noone should be this stupid..

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:14:45

I knew I SHOULD HAVE asked Drake how his Video-Falconry shirt is. He's the only dummy who is active on this website that bought one.

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:22:41

I should of taken what you said into consideration.
Should have.
Should'bvre
FUFUFCV

Youtube (Voice reels and shit soon!)

Check out my art :D

Go check out my NG User page or something, i don't know how this shit works.

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:23:39

You should of put a different picture of facepalm.

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:27:08

What saddens me is that I live in a city where everyone speaks Spanish and the most English most people know is "fuck" and "bitch" (and they think they're cool when they say it), and I have met some people from English speaking countries saying "should of" instead of "should've", "you're" instead of "your", and "by" instead of "buy".

ponies

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:36:46

At 36 minutes ago, Drake wrote: You've probably seen people use this before. Now, you think it'd be an uncommon or rare occurrence, but in reality, it's too damn common. So much so that they no longer realize that they're dismantling proper sentence structure very slowly, and people who correctly word their phrases with "should have" are becoming less common, or maybe even extinct on the internet as we know it.

So you people should have realized that "should of" is not a replacement for "should have/should've".

TL;DR: "Should of" is not the correct wording, "should have" is.

You've probably seen people use this before. Now, you think it'd be an uncommon or rare occurrence, but in reality, it's too damn common. So much so that when they use it the thing they post TL;DR on the end of is usually of an acceptable size.

But yeah, I'm a bit of a grammar fanatic, so "should of" doesn't get past me any time soon.
(Also, YOU CALL THAT A RANT!? I'LL RANT AT YOU 'TIL YOUR FACE BLEEDS SEMEN!)

You have been warned...

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:38:34

At A few seconds ago, conn1496 wrote: But yeah, I'm a bit of a grammar fanatic, so "should of" doesn't get past me any time soon.

Hey man, rants don't have to be extraordinarily long. It's not like I'm ranting about U.S. politics or anything.

gorp

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:42:14

At A few seconds ago, Drake wrote:
At A few seconds ago, conn1496 wrote: But yeah, I'm a bit of a grammar fanatic, so "should of" doesn't get past me any time soon.
Hey man, rants don't have to be extraordinarily long. It's not like I'm ranting about U.S. politics or anything.

I know... I just felt like I needed to tell everyone that I have ranting length superiority. ^-^

You have been warned...

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:43:48

It doesn't really change the sentence, and there are much more important common grammatical issues than that.

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 22:59:33

Man, the other day my friend asked me for some cash so I gave him a ten, but I should of given him a five. I mean, I don't care if my friends pay me back or not, but I'm a penny-pincher, something I should of changed a long time ago, ya know?

BTW this thread sucks monkey balls

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 23:18:11

I usually don't pay it any mind. Some people are going to get it wrong. Some won't.

Well, you know, I shoulda, and I coulda, and I woulda, but I didna.

"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 23:50:23

Cause people are retarded and never stop to think about what they're saying. When they say "should've" out loud, it sounds like should of, so that's what they start saying, not realize that it makes no sense at all.
Same with people saying "it's a doggy dog world"

At 1 hour ago, 1-800-CockJoke wrote: I knew I SHOULD HAVE asked Drake how his Video-Falconry shirt is. He's the only dummy who is active on this website that bought one.

hateyou1?

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-15 23:56:27

At 4 minutes ago, Squidbit wrote: hateyou1?

wasn't he perma banned?

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-16 00:00:27

At 2 minutes ago, tox wrote:
At 4 minutes ago, Squidbit wrote: hateyou1?
wasn't he perma banned?

Wouldn't that be a pretty good reason to make a new account?

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-16 00:21:37

I should of corrected this mistake, but I'll never not do that.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-16 00:23:32

Shuda couda wouda. Grammar lesson for the day

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-16 00:29:37

I only clicked on this to insult you, but I realized that you were just ranting. Good.

Also, I think retards today get it wrong because verbally when we say "should've" it sounds like "should of" so those degenerates are confusing them.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-16 02:41:27

Oh, and all the people here saying "oh, it doesn't change the sentence" or "it's part of languages evolving" or whatever are the tards that write it like that. In modern English, it is structured like that. Should have. You don't say "I should of this".

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to "Should of" (a rant) 2012-02-16 03:38:58

youre right, but people have been saying so long in the incorrect way, noone even thinks about it anymore, except for a few select people such as yourself OP. with something like this, if you dont nip it in the bud early on, its never going to get fixed
so good luck trying to get people to say it the correct way