00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Games that scared you as a kid...

6,032 Views | 65 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 01:15:55

The PC game-of-the-movie Abyss. Don't remember much about it, except the horrible breathing noises.

imad?

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 10:28:55

Parasite eve, that game scared the hell outta me because of the cut scenes where your enemies mutated into monsters.

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 15:49:58

Crash bandicoot 2's game over screen.

my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 17:53:23

At 1/12/12 12:57 PM, ZJ wrote: Super Mario 64's piano monster still haunts me in my nightmares.

That, and chain chomp, the piranha fish that eats you, that giant fucking eel, falling off the edge on the snow mountain level, and quick sand for me.

Diablo, Yoshi's story, and many others scared me.

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 18:14:15

Splattehouse, im not saying anymore

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 18:35:44

i guess silent hill 3 doesnt count but the suffering,manhunt2,and the one about the girl in the mansion and the fat guy looking for her

pOsSoM2

XBL Gamertag-JustinEverlast

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 20:09:52

Shadowgate 64 scared me on the game over screen as it described in detail how I drowned. I thought to myself, "how is this rated E?"

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-13 22:48:12

The first boss in Ocarina of Time.

Spiders scared the shit out of me when I was a little kid. Although I did kill it eventually.

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-14 15:46:15

Something about the prison on the second level of Tomb Raider did not go well with me when I first played it at the age of 7. The music didn't help matters either. At least I overcame that on my second attempt and realised I could actually push that block forward on the ground floor.

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-14 16:44:15

My list is decently long...

Doom
Quake
Heretic
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Diablo

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-14 16:44:50

the first Silent Hill still scares the shit outta me. But for non-horror games Jet Force Gemini the zombie level was overly crazy and way hard. When I was 10 I was almost screaming the whole way.

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-16 02:39:19

That one Rugrats game freaked me out when I was a kid. Well now that I think about it it still does...

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-16 11:34:15

Spyro the Dragon, the bug areas of High Caves.

DEEZNUTS

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-16 11:51:50

Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 00:41:10

One time I rented The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for the PS1. I did not exit the very first room that you start in because I was so scared. Also, my friend gave me Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and that was just too dark and creepy for me to handle very long.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 00:55:59

At 1/12/12 08:26 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Donkey Kong 64, when you are in one of those rooms and the countdown timer starts. It says "Get out." in a creepy voice with the 10 seconds timer starting when the voice is heard, and the room darkens and a cross hair inside a sniper scope points at you, with the unsettling chime added each time a second goes down.

That shit was scary.

This.

Also, the piano monster in Super Mario 64, and the wallmasters and redead in OoT.

The happy-mask salesman in Majora's Mask combined with the song of healing right after you get done going down the trippy hallway was fucking creepy. Seriously.

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 01:46:15

My earliest memory of being scared of something in a video game was when I was 15.. There was likely stuff before that, but I don't remember it very well (If at all).

And that was the zombie filled mansion in the original Conkers Bad Fur Day (N64), despite the overly comical appeal of the game, for some reason that level scared the hell out of me.

Also around the same time, I rented Silent Hill 2, played for 30 min, then couldn't play anymore, returned it the same night.

Then, I'm really no good with horror in games either way... I couldn't even get through the demo version of Amnesia.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 06:14:20

Super Mario 64: For three reasons, first of that giant eel thing in the first underwater course you play in. Being a kid that thing first scared the shit out of me just seeing it's head poking out of the ship, then shit got real and it started to swim out and you as it in its whole size.

Secondly, the hunted mansion course, which I guess you could easily guess what got me scared. "Hey look a piano, can I play it perhaps- oh holy shit! fuckfuckfuck!

Thirdly: That water course you go through before having the second show-down with Bowser, why? Well I have always had a fear of the open sea, and mostly because there are Sharks there. I am fucking terrified of sharks.

Any Pokémon game that takes place in the Kanto region: Well that Lavender tune is fucking scary for a small kid, and if you're playing the game for the first time and have no clue that you need the silph scope to actually see the Ghost pokémon in their true form and effortlessly trying to defeat them.

Legend of Zelda Ocarin of Time: Oh so many things that can scare the shit out of you in Ocarina of time. But what scared me most are of course the notorious wall master hands. First time encounter in the forest temple. Navi says something about watching out for monsters in the celling, either you dismiss this warning or don't pay attention because, it fucking Navi you don't really listen to her. You stop for moment ponder on which way to go, when suddenly a round formed shadow starts forming around and it becomes larger very fast and you only have time to fucking "...ooookay" until it's to late and you're clutched in a big black (kinda spider reminiscent) hand dragging you to start of the temple. Leaving you mentally scarred for life.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 06:38:13

The redeads in OoT and the headcrabs from half life..i'm sure there was more that scared me but i can't remember that well anymore..

No Fap November: 2014 - 2022

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 10:05:24

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-7001-0289

I'm from Brazil, don't blame me

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 12:29:58

At 1/14/12 03:46 PM, Bahamut wrote: Something about the prison on the second level of Tomb Raider did not go well with me when I first played it at the age of 7. The music didn't help matters either. At least I overcame that on my second attempt and realised I could actually push that block forward on the ground floor.

I found Tomb Raider 3 to be quite creepy, mainly because I completely sucked at the game and hadn't played the first 2, and generally had no idea what I was doing. I just kept getting lost and dying either due to strong currents or walls closing into me etc. that jungle level was a death trap to someone like me.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 13:08:26

At 1/17/12 12:29 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I found Tomb Raider 3 to be quite creepy, mainly because I completely sucked at the game and hadn't played the first 2, and generally had no idea what I was doing. I just kept getting lost and dying either due to strong currents or walls closing into me etc. that jungle level was a death trap to someone like me.

The only parts that were genuinely scary in TR3 were the mutants in Antarctica. Everything else, can't see what would be scary. Being scared by the first game is reasonable, though and I'm not just talking about that prison. The mutant mummies in the last few levels did creep me out, especially one that attacked me from nowhere.

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 14:38:58

For whatever reason i was always scared while playing "Immortal" on NES just cause you die so much whether it was falling through trap doors or beasts coming out eating you or burning you alive on the spot plus i was only like 5 years old at the time.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 21:32:45

No game I played as a kid totally terrified me, but I was a little nervous playing Doom. And Clock Tower 2 kinda spooked me.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 21:50:23

This doesn't count and it wasn't made when I was a kid but, AMNESIA still gives me nightmares! You can't defend yourself at all and it's in first person and really fucking dark!!!!!

Thought you'd always be mine...

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 21:52:58

At 1/17/12 09:50 PM, h1 wrote: This doesn't count and it wasn't made when I was a kid but, AMNESIA still gives me nightmares! You can't defend yourself at all and it's in first person and really fucking dark!!!!!

Also you have to hide in the DARK to hide from the scary creatures from hell!

Thought you'd always be mine...

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 22:28:52

Well, now that I've read some of these posts, I guess the first Tomb Raider and that Firday the Thirteenth game (as shitty as it was) did scare me a bit as a child.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-17 23:04:10

Casper for the PS2 I think? Lame ass game, but it scared me.

Gawd. I hate my NG username.

PSN: ChewyOwnz

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-18 01:58:19

Resident evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis >.<

BBS Signature

Response to Games that scared you as a kid... 2012-01-18 02:13:46

Dino Crisis was pretty damn intense, and it did freak me out a bit as a kid, so I'll second that. I never played the RE games when I was a kid, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature