00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked

1,029 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked 2011-12-13 02:04:19

Well the Spike Video Game Awards have been advertised, hyped, they've come, and they've gone. The question is, who here watched it? Better question is... who here actually liked it? I'm going to be honest with you here, I don't much care for these awards myself, and to be honest the freelance writer Jason Schreir sums it up better than I could here with his open letter to the Spike VGA. However many of you here already know this.

We know that the Spike Video Game Awards aren't a serious awards show and many of us just watch it for the trailers for upcoming video games. It is plagued with horrible "celebrity" appearances, bad jokes, and it seems nothing more than a mockery of gamers. It makes us look stupid. Now I can't really blame Spike for this, they have advertisers they have to adhere to and make sure they put on a show, the question is why are they the ones putting on this show? Shouldn't it be G4? Oh wait they sold out, but that's a different topic. As far as I can see there was a need and it was then filled. Whose fault is it? Gamers, Developers, and Publishers.

First off it is gamers fault for not demanding for a more respectable awards show to recognize the developers, artists, and musicians who work hard to put this much effort into a video game. However a gamer's voice can only go so far even within this technological age. So where does that leave us? Well the developers and publishers could certainly do more.

Let's take a look at the Academy Awards, yeah the Oscars. That was started by a group of producers, directors, actors, and the likes to recognize those who gave their contributions to the art of motion pictures. Why can't the developers and publishers get together and work out something of this nature? Well the reason is because those in the higher power do not see video games as art just as a business and it seems that's going to be at a standstill until there is something definitive. How can that happen, well that's where we go back to the gamers, we got to help each other out.

Now I know that seems like a stretch and there is a lot of false hope there and you're probably right. If you don't believe in false hope then just go ask the fans of Earthbound and Mother 3, they'll be more than happy to tell you all about hope. Now if you want an easier solution then there are two video game awards events that you can help promote and get out there more.

British Academy of Film and Television Arts, a.k.a. BAFTA, hold the British Academy Video Game Awards or BAFTA Video Game Awards, with categories that seem to resemble something more to what you would come to expect from an awards show.

Now if you want something a bit more fun, but not as dumbed down as Spike, then you can try out the Golden Joystick Awards. They're not as fancy as BAFTA, but they're still good.

Now I know on Newgrounds we have our usual Video Game Awards, however let's say you were to create a Video Game Awards show, you had to make this show back during the 80's say starting during the year 1980. You have to have categories for the different games and those who contribute to them. How would you go about making an award show like this and having go on through the years. You would have to introduce new awards as well, but the awards that would be introduced would have to be staples to go on. Doesn't sound that easy does it?

Questions of the Day
1. What do you think of the Spike Video Game Awards?
2. What do you think of the BAFTA Video Game Awards and Golden Joystick Awards?
3. If you were to make a Video Game Awards event, how would you do it?
4. What are your thoughts on G4?

Response to My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked 2011-12-13 14:20:32

Wow, just realized that I wrote this at 2:00 AM. Guess I was tired, because I thought it was 11:00 PM.

Response to My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked 2011-12-13 14:35:05

Boring and painful to watch.

I just glanced at the BAFTA awards and they looked a million times better than the Spike VGAs.

Probably be formal, kinda like BAFTA's Video Game Awards, also with some trailers for upcoming games like Spike's VGAs.

It was an interesting channel that went to crap. Sad, really. And I actually liked that show Judgement Day...

Response to My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked 2011-12-13 14:48:19

At 12/13/11 02:04 AM, The-Great-One wrote:

Outstanding Contribution
Winner: Sonic The Hedgehog

What does this mean, "nice to see you back on track?"

Questions of the Day

Pretty stupid overall and the winners, my god could they be anymore obvious? I don't see why anyone would be surprised when the public is allowed to vote.

Didn't know they existed until you introduced them to me But I know Europe loves them some sonic which is why they get the collectors edition of sonic gen and we get jack shit, that's what we get for bitching.

Allowing the public to vote isn't a problem but if I'm going to drag on the event I'll make sure I have people that are actually funny or just remove the down time all together. Keep the musical performances, amd if they haven't done so already have a game set up for demo's of upcoming releases or fairly new ones, before the show actually starts.

As you said they sold out a long time ago. The only reason G4 is holding up is cause of Xplays biased ass and I guess attack of the show if anyone even watches that any more.I'm glad they removed it off of DirecTV channel guide. Hopefully a new gaming channel comes along and best G4 which won't take much effort.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked 2011-12-14 04:43:21

At 12/13/11 06:02 PM, Odyssic wrote: No ads, and yeah I have to get money, but I would have sponsors in the background, with banners. Not have adverts every 5 minutes. I would make the awards look better then whatever the fuck the VGAs had, I bet everyone who won that shit just through it in the bin when they got home.

Yeah the trophies themselves do indeed look like crap. If you intended on your award show being on television though you would have to have ads unless you can get enough sponsors to pay for that much. Besides commercial breaks are nice so people can go take a piss, get a snack, or something. That way they won't miss something like this...

UP NEXT - A Legend of Zelda Montage to celebrate its 25th Anniversary

Or the next award that will be coming up or a video game trailer.

Response to My Shiny Trophy Has Been Spiked 2011-12-14 15:38:27

Bumping to see how others would craft a video game awards show.