00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Model124 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Volcaloid and Utau

1,012 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-21 11:17:46

Have any of you heard of these? If not, here is some information. Vocaloid and Utau

They are voice synthesizing programs. This youtube user Sango312 is a very promising user of these programs. If your interested, I suggest getting utau (free) or vocaloid (paid) and looking up tutorials on youtube.

Personally I'm just beginning, and I'm making my first real attempt at a song with Utau at the moment.

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-21 15:23:46

I think it's safe to say the better majority of the forum has by this point... I made a thread regarding them a year or so back, then someone else made another a few months later and there's a spattering of mentions throughout the forums history. It's not a common topic, as very few people here use them, but I'm sure it's known.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-21 16:09:03

At 9/21/11 11:17 AM, codycero wrote: Have any of you heard of these? If not, here is some information. Vocaloid and Utau

They are voice synthesizing programs. This youtube user Sango312 is a very promising user of these programs. If your interested, I suggest getting utau (free) or vocaloid (paid) and looking up tutorials on youtube.

Personally I'm just beginning, and I'm making my first real attempt at a song with Utau at the moment.

I've heard you can make your own Utauloids with your own voice samples.... Is that true? O_O

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-21 16:29:48

At 9/21/11 04:09 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 9/21/11 11:17 AM, codycero wrote: Have any of you heard of these? If not, here is some information. Vocaloid and Utau

I've heard you can make your own Utauloids with your own voice samples.... Is that true? O_O

That's essentially what Utau is. Well.. really, that's the same as Vocaloid as well, it's just that vocaloid was professionally done, where as Utau is mostly done by fans. There have been tons of people who created their very own vocaloid in Utau format, character, voice and all.

How you'd go about creating your own Utau is beyond me though. I'm sure there are tutorials out there on how to do it though.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-21 18:23:01

At 9/21/11 04:29 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: That's essentially what Utau is. Well.. really, that's the same as Vocaloid as well, it's just that vocaloid was professionally done, where as Utau is mostly done by fans. There have been tons of people who created their very own vocaloid in Utau format, character, voice and all.

How you'd go about creating your own Utau is beyond me though. I'm sure there are tutorials out there on how to do it though.

The personification's are called Utauloids. But what makes up Utauloids are voicebanks. A voice bank is nothing but a folder that contains a file that Utau recognizes so that it can identify that the folder contains voice bank material. And the materials are nothing but short sound files containing syllables. You use Utau to load up content in the voice bank folder and start using Utau to reuse the sound files as many times as you like and modify them in many ways in a user-friendly environment.

How you go about creating those syllable sound files is up to you, I'm personally thinking about recording syllables using a text-to-speech application when I get down to trying to make a voice bank.

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-23 20:05:57

Sounds fun, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not suited for my genre of music at all...

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-23 20:10:37

At 9/23/11 08:05 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Sounds fun, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not suited for my genre of music at all...

Vocaloids/Utaus can sound good with pretty close to any genre of music, I listen to a lot of vocaloud (Read: Vocaloid metal), I don't know how they manage to make a vocaloid scream, but it works, and it sounds pretty damn good.

And I've heard them being used for numerous other unlikely genres from opera to rap... Yes... Rap.
It's really more a question of the users skill with the program than it is about what genres work. Just like any other VST, if you know how to use it, you can do just about anything with it (Within reason of the VSTs functionality of course).

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-23 20:13:14

I can understand it being used well for rap (if Miku could do it, surely Utauloids can too), but what about those Enya-esque vocal layering things? I don't even know what to call them...

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-23 20:17:25

At 9/23/11 08:13 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I can understand it being used well for rap (if Miku could do it, surely Utauloids can too), but what about those Enya-esque vocal layering things? I don't even know what to call them...

Been done.

Although Prima is a vocaloid that comes with (Or you can get as an addon separately, I'm not sure) Vocaloid2... So, not free.
I wouldn't be surprised that a well done Utau could do it as well.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-24 21:57:45

Bumping thread.

Little note, I'm working on my first Utau song attempt on and off, hard to stick to it for a beginner. I'm synching it, so far I'm about 3 minutes into the track, its about 5 minutes and 37 seconds long.
Although I might be synching it almost perfectly, I don't think I'm getting the key right on several notes, not sure how best to check for it either. And I still have to do adjustments to the pitch, intensity, volume, and several other aspects of each note to make it sound right.

Response to Volcaloid and Utau 2011-09-24 23:05:33

At 9/24/11 09:57 PM, codycero wrote: Bumping thread.

Little note, I'm working on my first Utau song attempt on and off, hard to stick to it for a beginner. I'm synching it, so far I'm about 3 minutes into the track, its about 5 minutes and 37 seconds long.
Although I might be synching it almost perfectly, I don't think I'm getting the key right on several notes, not sure how best to check for it either. And I still have to do adjustments to the pitch, intensity, volume, and several other aspects of each note to make it sound right.

As a fellow Vocaloid/Utauloid enthusiast, feel free to shoot me a PM with a link to it, I'll give you a second opinion, I'm curious to see how it'll turn out. And if need be I can help try point out bad notes.

Just don't post the link in this thread, because the thread would be locked shortly after if you did.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature