00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Colinozo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Getting My Swf Onto Youtube

1,807 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2011-08-06 04:20:00

How is the most effective way of achieving this ?

I can use a program like CamStudio that creates video files, however the file sizes seem too large (I know I want to output at decent quality) for youtube and for quick downloads/viewing.

I've tried for months to get flash (using CS4) to output a .mov file but it always freezes before finalizing. I've read on help topics that you should get rid of stop() actions - no joy still.

So, my question is, for anyone who displays their work on youtube, what program do you use, where did you get it from and what settings do you use to ensure decent quality but with low file size ?

Thanks to every kind soul who helps.

Koit

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2011-08-06 18:31:49

Thanks for your response. What are the best output settings for AVI ? - ie which compressor codec should I use ? - what settings should the audio be ?

To get a generically decent result, but without going overboard on filesize ?

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2011-08-06 20:24:54

Some video capturing programs might work as well.
I know my version of Flash has trouble with symbols when exporting avi's.

I use Debut Video Capture Software and it captures swf. cartoons better then some of the flash videos I see on youtube. It always doesn't have that annoying hypercam thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2011-08-07 18:15:23

There are several out of date threads like this. I think I might post this as a general topic for people to refer to. (Note: This gets buggy if you are using a v-cam)

There are several (good) ways of doing this but this is by far the safest (you don't have to buy any sketchy programs) and most efficient method I've found to get the best quality Flash to Youtube transfer. The reason for this is that pretty much all video capture software will drop or add frames. Or won't read actionscript or symbols properly.

1. Download the Kurst SWF Renderer flash extension HERE Install it into Adobe AIR.
2. Restart Flash. Export your SWF.
3. Convert your SWF into a PNG sequence (make sure all the settings are correct).

You can carry on from here in several ways.
4a. If you have AfterEffects, import the PNG sequence. you can use AfterEffects to export in any video format you like.

4b. If you don't have AE, then re-import the PNG sequence into a new Flash Document. Now that you don't have any more symbols to deal with, the exported video should come out just fine.

5a. If your soundtrack is simple, then you can just re-sync them into the project in whichever program you're using.

5b. If it's very complex, then the best thing to do would be to create a new .fla and copy all the frames with sound at the same time from your original .fla (so that they stay in order and the whole thing is the same length as the project) into the new .fla. Then, export the new .fla as a very high quality audio file. That will give you an audio file you can re-import into flash and stick next to your video. The audio file should exist even where there is no sound.

Video Compression: There is no agreed upon method about this. I usually export as .F4V or .FLV depending on how big the file is. Here is a good starting point.
H.264 video codec set to 2000Kbits/sec (2Mbits/sec or 250KBytes/sec)
320×240 video size (deinterlaced or simply use one field)

Audio Compression: Mono audio with AAC codec at 64 Kbit/sec (or 128 Kbit/sec for stereo)
Best Encoding Quality

Let me know if you can work it this way, so I can figure out how to put it when I make a thread.

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2011-08-14 15:25:12

At 8/6/11 08:24 PM, iceimp wrote: Some video capturing programs might work as well.
I know my version of Flash has trouble with symbols when exporting avi's.

I use Debut Video Capture Software and it captures swf. cartoons better then some of the flash videos I see on youtube. It always doesn't have that annoying hypercam thing.

Iceimp

I have tired Debut stuff and I agree, it works exactly how I need it to. Thanks ever so much for the pointer towards this software.

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2011-08-14 15:27:58

Let me know if you can work it this way, so I can figure out how to put it when I make a thread.

Thanks for this reply

I did go against this advice and used Debut stuff instead. It has worked a treat for me but I still want to thank you for your time and advice.

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2013-03-19 16:40:35

At 3/19/13 05:56 AM, jenniferkimmy wrote: YouTube can accept mp4, avi, flv and etc. There are two free tools that I know:
1. Handbrake: a freeware that can convert SWF to MP4 and MKV
2. YouConvertIt: the free online tool can convert swf to many video formats.
Personally I use this paid swf file to mp4 converter.

Just wanted to point out that Newgrounds has its own converter called Swivel (created by Mike)

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resou rces/swivel

It is by far the best converter (free or paid) out there, plus it's free!

Response to Getting My Swf Onto Youtube 2013-04-26 07:59:30

At 3/19/13 04:40 PM, Apekid wrote: Just wanted to point out that Newgrounds has its own converter called Swivel (created by Mike)
http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resou rces/swivel
It is by far the best converter (free or paid) out there, plus it's free!

Well please don't, everyone already knows about it. You're reviving a 2 year old thread. People keep reviving dead threads saying swivel is out. Im sure they aren't even looking at the thread anymore.

BBS Signature