Be a Supporter!
09nintendofan
09nintendofan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:03 PM Reply

EVERYONE OF NEWGROUNDS! I AM WORKING ON A ZELDA TIMELINE! THERE ARE MANY ATTEMPTS OF THE ZELDA TIMELINE, AND THESE ARE JUST MY THOUGHTS. So yeah, I'm working on a Zelda timeline. What I think so far: I think that the Adult Link saga and the Young Link saga are two different timelines. That it splits the series between ages. The reason why I think this, is because, on Ocarina of Time, Link traveld through time, and he fought Ganondorf as Adult Link, and then he traveld back, but what happened to the Adult Link? I think that the timeline was then spli in two, making a timeline for both ten and 17-old Link. I think that the first game in the timeline is Minish Cap. And then Ocarina of Time. But then Link traveld in time, making TWO Links running around. And that split the timeline! In between the seven years, Skyward Sword happened. There was another Link who saved the land, but in a different game! That game was Skyward Sword! And it happened in between the seven years of Ocarina of Time! And then Link got older, sepperating the timeline, making it more confusing! So then there were two timelines at the same time! At the end of Ocarina of Time, Navi ran away. At the begining of Majora's Mask, it said he was looking for a friend! He was looking for Navi! In the meantime, Adult Link moved, which started Twilight Princess! And while Young Link was gone, Hyrule was attacked by Ganondorf! The land of Hyrule was drowned in water, as an attempt to drown Ganondorf! I think that this happened about at the end of Twilight Princess! And then a new land was born, starting Wind Waker! And at the end of Wind Waker, it started Four Swords Adventure! That's all I've figured out so far, if anyone wants to reply to this forum entry, go ahead. I will continue working on the Zelda timeline.

Zelda Timeline

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:30 PM Reply

All the Zelda games take place in alternate universes. Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Strings are the only three games that are on the same timeline. I'm not even sure if Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are in the same universe. There's no use trying to piece them together.

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:30 PM, Chdonga wrote: All the Zelda games take place in alternate universes.

THIS THIS THIS

Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Strings are the only three games that are on the same timeline.

Take off WW, and you're right. Similar art-style doesn't imply they are on the same timeline.

PH and Spirit Tracks have been the only (officially) confirmed games to be related.

Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:43 PM Reply

I never understood the need to put together a timeline for Zelda. I always considered each game a different version of the same story, like a legend being passed down, where the key elements stay the same, but minor details are swapped around.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
Moonpiles
Moonpiles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:46 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:35 PM, towelie101 wrote: PH and Spirit Tracks have been the only (officially) confirmed games to be related.

Phantom hourglass is the sequel to Wind waker. Tetra and link get lost in an alternate reality. Spirit tracks is based 100 years after that. Majoras Mask is a direct sequel to OOT, Twilight Princess is hundreds of years after OOT. WW is thousands of years after OOT after the gods flood hyrule. Skyward sword is based before OOT. That is the Canon timeline.

U jelly?

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:46 PM, Moonpiles wrote:
At 7/22/11 06:35 PM, towelie101 wrote: PH and Spirit Tracks have been the only (officially) confirmed games to be related.
Phantom hourglass is the sequel to Wind waker. Tetra and link get lost in an alternate reality. Spirit tracks is based 100 years after that.

Yeah, I was being kinda stupid thar but this is correct. It doesn't help that the wording of the sentence is terrribad.

What I meant is related in terms of timeline -- there's no "official" one.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:57 PM Reply

What about The Wand of Gamalon? Where does that go?

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:57 PM, SineRider wrote: What about The Wand of Gamalon? Where does that go?

Nowhere, bro.

The CD-i games don't go anywhere. They're unrelated fan-fiction.

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:57 PM, SineRider wrote: What about The Wand of Gamalon? Where does that go?

In the garbage.

Or youtube.
treedude
treedude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:02 PM Reply

The Creator actually said 3 different things.

First Explanation:
At first he tried to make relevance of the timeline stating,
Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past. It's not very clear where Link's Awakening fits in--it could be anytime after Ocarina of Time. - Shigeru Miyamoto

Second Explanation:
The Creator Shigeru Miyamoto said himself that these are all different incarnations of Links from different timelines and they just arise when the time is right. Also stated is the similarities of the town folk names like Tarin and Marin and Talon and Malon

Third Explanation: There is no timeline as they are all separate links and they find it relatively easy to make more games with just the battle of good vs evil.

Legend of Zelda Timeline

Zelda Timeline

Photoshop Me!

BBS Signature
Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:30 PM, Chdonga wrote: I'm not even sure if Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are in the same universe.

Except isn't the first scene of MM Link riding Epona into the forest after everything that happened in OOT?

HasJoinedYourParty
HasJoinedYourParty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:32 AM Reply

what I got for the time line

Legend of Zelda- to Zelda 2- Link to the past - Link's awakening ------ Four Swords
- Oracle of ages - Minish Cap
- Oracle of seasons

- Link to the past - Ocarina of time - Majora's mask
- Wind waker - Phantom hourglass
- Spirit tracks
- Twilight Princess - (skyward sword?)

It's a strange world. Some get rich, and others eat shit and die. sig made by JaY11

BBS Signature
SpiderTaco
SpiderTaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:09 AM Reply

I never understood why people give a shit about this. There is no fucking timeline. It's like Final Fantasy.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Keep up your theories I suppose I worked on a Zelda Timeline all my life. I got pretty good theories after awhile but all of them at least had a few things missing about them. Skyward Sword is to be before Ocarina of Time of how even younger Link grew up their. Since were all throwing dog shit around I'll try my joke theory as well.

Well because the handhelds are so darn confusing and some don't even take place anywhere and are just in alternate timelines I'm eliminating the handhelds and just including the console games. OK, we start off with The Legend Of Zelda. Link defeats Ganon their you go, simple? Then theirs Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link. While it is the only direct sequel to The Legend Of Zelda it claims Zelda has been sleeping for centuries although we gotta look past that the storyline of it is that Ganon's army is trying to get Link's blood to revive their master, simple? Then we get Zelda: A Link To The Past which is a prequel just before the first and it's obviously the first because it shows Zelda and Link first meeting for their very first time. Next up is Ocarina Of Time. It takes place even before Link To The Past although I don't know why Zelda wouldn't remember Link. Anyways Adult Link, well his story is continued in Majora's Mask which would serve as a direct sequel. And Kid Link's story is continued in Wind Waker then Twilight Princess is Link growing up in Ordon Village just after Majora's Mask but he is in the Twilight Portal most of the time. Then skyward Sword is his childhood just before Ocarina Of Time.

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:36 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:30 PM, Chdonga wrote: All the Zelda games take place in alternate universes. Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Strings are the only three games that are on the same timeline. I'm not even sure if Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are in the same universe. There's no use trying to piece them together.

Spirit Strings? MM not being a direct sequel? How much do you know about Zelda, if any?

At 7/23/11 11:09 AM, SpiderTaco wrote: I never understood why people give a shit about this. There is no fucking timeline. It's like Final Fantasy.

I love it when people say this yet they have no evidence to back it up, when the evidence of a timeline is overwhelming.

09nintendofan
09nintendofan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 26th, 2011 @ 11:38 PM Reply

LOL. That's funny, but that's not an official game.

09nintendofan
09nintendofan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 26th, 2011 @ 11:41 PM Reply

A timeline HAS been confirmed. It is susposed to be a really big document, but it hasn't been reliesed yet. Miyamoto has confirmed that there IS a timeline, though.

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 26th, 2011 @ 11:56 PM Reply

the Zelda timeline is always fun to ponder on, but honestly it is too much of a hassle for me to piece together.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Sandman99999
Sandman99999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 7/22/11 09:08 PM, Ship wrote:
At 7/22/11 06:30 PM, Chdonga wrote: I'm not even sure if Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are in the same universe.
Except isn't the first scene of MM Link riding Epona into the forest after everything that happened in OOT?

Yes.

He's in the Lost Woods and then somehow gets transported to an alternate universe, even though the Skull Kid that royally fucks you over is actually the one you meet in OoT.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 01:25 AM Reply

At 7/26/11 11:56 PM, alfraydo wrote: the Zelda timeline is always fun to ponder on, but honestly it is too much of a hassle for me to piece together.

There's this huge document detailing every single argument ever made towards the timeline, and based on all available evidence it pieces together a definitive timeline which makes sense. It was made in early 2007 though, so Phantom Hourglass wasn't out yet. It's still a great read.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jrnu4yj2gjd

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 01:51 AM Reply

I'm not normally the one to say this and I have a huge Zelda fan no doubt, but I really must ask sincerely and with no real offense put towards it...

"Why give a fuck?"

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 02:20 AM Reply

At 7/27/11 01:51 AM, The-Great-One wrote: "Why give a fuck?"

Because it's interesting. Because it gives Zelda more of a universe that has continuity. Because both Miyamoto and Aonuma have stated multiple times, INCLUDING just recently that there's a master document detailing the timeline. Because the little hints in the games given here and there are grounds for discussion and debate.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 02:31 AM Reply

At 7/27/11 02:20 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/27/11 01:51 AM, The-Great-One wrote: "Why give a fuck?"
Because it's interesting. Because it gives Zelda more of a universe that has continuity. Because both Miyamoto and Aonuma have stated multiple times, INCLUDING just recently that there's a master document detailing the timeline. Because the little hints in the games given here and there are grounds for discussion and debate.

I agree, it's one of the few points of contention in the world of gaming that actually brings gamers together rather than tearing them apart in a series of pointless flame wars. It's broadened people's appreciation for the games to where they play not just to get through the individual story, but to find pieces of an overall puzzle that spans the entire series.

Does everyone care? Of course not, most people are probably happy taking each game at face value, but it's like achievement hunting. A way to get more value out of every game that alters the experience.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 02:48 AM Reply

At 7/27/11 02:20 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Because both Miyamoto and Aonuma have stated multiple times, INCLUDING just recently that there's a master document detailing the timeline. Because the little hints in the games given here and there are grounds for discussion and debate.

That there. You see they have stated time and time again that there is a master document of a timeline, if this is true then why haven't they shown it? Do they just enjoy seeing others going insane? I'm not against discussion, but either way we're going to be wrong whether the master document states it or if it's all a lie.

BBS Signature
JonBro
JonBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 03:20 AM Reply

I'm just going to state the obvious facts, assuming there is a timeline:

Ocarina of Time takes place sometime after Skyward Sword.
Majora's Mask takes place right after Ocarina of Time.
Wind Waker takes place sometime way after Ocarina of Time.
Phantom Hourglass takes place right after Wind Waker.
Spirit Tracks takes place some time after Phantom Hourglass.

Past this, there's really no way of knowing when ANY of the other games occur.

~

Cubone
Cubone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 04:53 AM Reply

godspeed eiji aonuma

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 7/27/11 02:48 AM, The-Great-One wrote: but either way we're going to be wrong whether the master document states it or if it's all a lie.

And that's the thing.

"Yes, there is a master timeline, but it is a confidential document!... The only people that have access to the document are myself, Mr. Miyamoto, and the director of the title. We can't share it with anyone else! I have already talked with Mr. Miyamoto about this so I am comfortable with releasing this information - this title takes place before Ocarina of Time." - Aonuma, Skyward Sword article

They can't release this info. And even if they could, it would cause a shitstorm in the community. You know how some fans get over why some placements don't work. The point of them telling people this is that they're re-assuring fans that there IS a timeline and that Nintendo cares about it. Why would they lie about this, when they've been saying it for years?

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 7/27/11 12:11 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: They can't release this info. And even if they could, it would cause a shitstorm in the community. You know how some fans get over why some placements don't work. The point of them telling people this is that they're re-assuring fans that there IS a timeline and that Nintendo cares about it. Why would they lie about this, when they've been saying it for years?

So instead of pissing off a lot of fans by telling them what they want to know, we're just gonna let them play imaginary timeline? That just seems stupid and it also seems fishy as well like their just pulling this shit out of their asses.

All I know is that some of these games do have continuity to them that is obvious from the word go.

The Legend of Zelda (NES) to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Gamecube).

Then again I've never played the handheld titles either. Also the idea of two Links running around doesn't add up, since the hero of time tends to be a reincarnation deal when looked at Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

BBS Signature
ChainSawBuritto
ChainSawBuritto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:30 PM, Chdonga wrote:

Spirit Strings

i lol'd

Butt is wet.

kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Zelda Timeline Jul. 27th, 2011 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 7/22/11 06:30 PM, Chdonga wrote: All the Zelda games take place in alternate universes. Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Strings are the only three games that are on the same timeline. I'm not even sure if Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are in the same universe. There's no use trying to piece them together.

there really confusing to try and piece them together

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature