00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MidnightsCalm just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow.

2,810 Views | 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 21:46:11

So yeah. As of right meow, I am a DJ. I had my first ever show on the 4th of July in front of a small crowd of about 30 people. There were two professional DJs there and they invited me to come along for shits and giggles, so I prepared a few nights beforehand and got together a nice mix of Drum n Bass, Trance, and Dubstep with an ambient buildup.

I approached the table around 10:30 or so and they told me it was my turn to fuck around, so I was like OH OK LULZ and I opened up Djay Pro and got to work on my Macbook. Well, after fifteen minutes of playing a house Dj by the name of Ionic Phunk came up to me and said I was really fucking good. Now, at first I thought he was kidding but then I looked at the crowd and saw how they reacted to my "witty" transitions and stuff. The other DJ also said I was really good, and even claimed I was better at it than him. *although he does kind of suck... lululul*

Well, I got a gig at a club now thanks to Ionic Phunk and am getting ready to play my first real show! I am thinking of streaming it live for anyone who cares. I personally find it pretty easy to transition and remix songs using other songs, but everyone who listened to me DJ claimed I was really good... so I guess I just got an ear for that thing or something.

Well, in any case, I am having a lot of fun practicing and hopefully I will be able to do a show with the sexy Devon Taylor (EchozAurora). He lives pretty close to me actually. I need to get myself an actual simple mixer.. but surprisingly using the trackpad on a MAC works pretty well, as long as you dont fuck up and slip your fingers while doing a smooth transition.

STAY TUNED FOR ATTENTION WHORE PICTURE.
:initiated

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 21:54:04

I hited teh like button for the forums... wait it poofed away... T_T

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 22:16:06

OMG FKWAJP isn't fat?!

-extreme revelation-

cool mask though :3 and nice. just don't let a Cetacea incident happen again....we still want the CD Contest to actually happen =)

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 22:33:49

You wear your watch on the wrong arm.

X Sentinel & GirlStep - Obelisk <-- please take a listen! :3

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 22:44:22

At 7/17/11 10:33 PM, GirlStep wrote: You wear your watch on the wrong arm.

There is a side for a watch?

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 23:03:00

At 7/17/11 10:44 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: There is a side for a watch?

This mostly says left is the norm, however, several people did mention breaking the norm. I guess whatever's most comfortable for you, but left arm is the usual one to use.

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 23:16:56

At 7/17/11 10:44 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:

That's not a watch... thats a err.. thats a pimp disc. Yeah, I use it to lure in the bitches and make money. See how it shines? Thats a lust meter. The brighter it is, the more lust it detects.

Oh, and I just recorded a practice round for my next show! It's over 20 minutes long, but it'd be cool if someone could listen to it and give me some pointers. Burn it to a CD and play it in the car or something.

WOO HIGH QUALITY 320KB/s FILE (47MB - 29:41)

I'm still learning... so comments are appreciate :D - D: :U

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 23:23:14

I always wear my watches on the right arm :<

My DJ setup is roughly the same except I use Deckadance. A controller/mixer probably would be handy but I cbf investing money in since I got my copy of Deckadance free anyway (won it).

p.s. i am gay

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-17 23:57:36

At 7/17/11 11:50 PM, Chemich wrote: One more thing, DJ babble is annoying as fuck. Though the kiddies like it, if you're planning on getting big (Netherlands big,) you'll want to let the music speak for you. Keep in mind the crowd may still like interactivity, but be reasonable about what you do.

THIS. I saw Chuckie about a month or so ago and he was literally the most annoying DJ I've seen. He literally turned down the volume 3+ times to ask the crows "who likes house music?". The first time I was all like, "YEAH HOUSE MUSIC!". Then I was like, "uhhh..yeah...house music". Then I was like, "Shut the fuck up".

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:00:49

Thanks for your comments Chemich! Personally, I looovvvee slow starts to a mix. I want to try to really build it up. Overall, I'm trying to be an all genre sort of DJ with no specific intentions for an overall goal. I plan on making every mix different in some way or theme. I am working on the intro right now, as I noticed there were some flaws with the seamless transfer into techno that I was trying to achieve.

Everyone has their preferences, and I understand that, but I am trying to introduce people to different styles mainly. I have only been working on mixes for a little over a week, so I still am very much a beginner lol.

Thanks again for listening! Means a lot ;)

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:02:40

At 7/17/11 11:57 PM, GirlStep wrote: The first time I was all like, "YEAH HOUSE MUSIC!". Then I was like, "uhhh..yeah...house music". Then I was like, "Shut the fuck up".

This made me happy.

And gratz on the gig, after the rave I went to last night I've had a few people ask me if I'd like to do a show at some point, mostly because my best friend was drunk and making me out to be some kind of music god. But I don't own ANY gear tailored towards DJing... Not even a laptop. I have gear for playing guitar live, that's about it.

Oh... one day. I've got like 3 separate fan bases, one for metal, one for classical, and one for my electronic (Trance mostly, a little DnB, then some stuff I don't even know what to call).... Keeping everyone happy is difficult.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:03:10

THIS. I saw Chuckie about a month or so ago and he was literally the most annoying DJ I've seen. He literally turned down the volume 3+ times to ask the crows "who likes house music?". The first time I was all like, "YEAH HOUSE MUSIC!". Then I was like, "uhhh..yeah...house music". Then I was like, "Shut the fuck up".

That annoys the hell out of me as well. I will never will I ever ever ever pick up a mic and start talking to the crowd in the middle of a mix. It just looks attention whorish. I will talk to the crowd after the mix is done when I leave the stage face to face with whoever wants to talk, but I won't go up there and say anything more than HIYAH PALS IM DJ SICK NUMBLES *or something* AND THIS IS MY MIX... YO.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:14:47

Congrats mang :P I'm listening to your recording right now. PHAT man.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:22:05

At 7/18/11 12:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: HIYAH PALS IM DJ SICK NUMBLES *or something* AND THIS IS MY MIX... YO.

hehe,the name reminds me of someone.

i wonder who?

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:45:38

At 7/18/11 12:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: but I won't go up there and say anything more than HIYAH PALS IM DJ SICK NUMBLES *or something* AND THIS IS MY MIX... YO.

One cool thing a DJ did at a rave was have everyone get down on the ground. Then as soon as the bass drop everyone jumped up and danced like madmen. That shit was so cash.

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 00:46:52

Sweeet. Definitely gotta play a show together soon for sure! I'll DL the mix and give it a listen tomorrow, will let ya know what I think. :D

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 01:03:54

At 7/18/11 12:46 AM, EchozAurora wrote: Sweeet. Definitely gotta play a show together soon for sure! I'll DL the mix and give it a listen tomorrow, will let ya know what I think. :D

Im making another, ill show you that one personally instead lol. This one had some errors in it I'd like to avoid in a show ;)

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 01:20:14

At 7/18/11 01:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 7/18/11 12:46 AM, EchozAurora wrote: Sweeet. Definitely gotta play a show together soon for sure! I'll DL the mix and give it a listen tomorrow, will let ya know what I think. :D
Im making another, ill show you that one personally instead lol. This one had some errors in it I'd like to avoid in a show ;)

Awesomes, just fire it over to me and I'll check that out instead then lol

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 01:54:26

At 7/17/11 11:16 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
That's not a watch... thats a err.. thats a pimp disc. Yeah, I use it to lure in the bitches and make money. See how it shines? Thats a lust meter. The brighter it is, the more lust it detects.

Oh, and I just recorded a practice round for my next show! It's over 20 minutes long, but it'd be cool if someone could listen to it and give me some pointers. Burn it to a CD and play it in the car or something.

WOO HIGH QUALITY 320KB/s FILE (47MB - 29:41)

I'm still learning... so comments are appreciate :D - D: :U

I'm downloading that bitch as we speak. I'll let you know what I think. And it'll be from a listeners standpoint, not a DJs, as I'm a music appreciator, and not much of a serious producer.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 02:01:41

yeah, it's like with earrings... he's wearing the watch on his gay arm :)

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 02:31:29

Speaking of DJing, when are you going to start boradcasting again EchozAurora?

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 03:05:23

So after listening, I like it quite a bit. I like how you blended some Deadliest Warrior voice samples in there. Although I do agree, the mix started pretty slow. But, I'm sure I'd enjoy clubbing to that mix. Nice, overall.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 04:47:45

eh, i don't consider a DJ usin a laptop..... your more of a Immma push the play button guy, lol.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 06:16:04

Where the eff is your bowlcut?!

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 07:37:45

At 7/18/11 04:47 AM, HighBallers wrote: eh, i don't consider a DJ usin a laptop..... your more of a Immma push the play button guy, lol.

At least he pushes the play button really well.

no need to hate man, I'm sure one day you'll also have something to be proud of.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 08:12:13

At 7/17/11 11:50 PM, Chemich wrote: One more thing, DJ babble is annoying as fuck. Though the kiddies like it, if you're planning on getting big (Netherlands big,) you'll want to let the music speak for you. Keep in mind the crowd may still like interactivity, but be reasonable about what you do.

I picked up that 'Netherlands big' part right there, care to explain what you mean by that? I hope it isn't meant as an insult, cuz I'm very proud of the fact that Holland has the best DJ's around the world (reference here).

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 08:37:51

At 7/18/11 08:12 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
I picked up that 'Netherlands big' part right there, care to explain what you mean by that? I hope it isn't meant as an insult, cuz I'm very proud of the fact that Holland has the best DJ's around the world (reference here).

Netherlands! Whaaat, I don't see any holland Dj's on this list!
Also who put tiesto 3rd, that's bullshit, tiesto should be like 1000213072398724, I hate his music >:(

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 08:40:37

At 7/18/11 08:37 AM, DJHeat wrote:
At 7/18/11 08:12 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Stuff about netherlands bieng awesome Dj's
Stuff about me bieng no.1 and tiesto bieng shit

Wait, FUCK tiesto's netherland, shiit, i just owned myself :(

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 09:39:15

At 7/18/11 03:05 AM, JackRocker wrote: So after listening, I like it quite a bit. I like how you blended some Deadliest Warrior voice samples in there. Although I do agree, the mix started pretty slow. But, I'm sure I'd enjoy clubbing to that mix. Nice, overall.

Yeah I'm going to work on making the intro a lot mote CLUBISH lol. I will probably experiment with an ambient buildup and lead it into some drum n bass, breakcore, and trance. Thanks for the listen! It woul be cool if you could come to the streaming I host here in the next few weeks. I'll post up links in the audio forums an stuff when I'm ready to stream.

Response to So Apparently I'm A Dj Meow. 2011-07-18 13:53:40

At 7/18/11 08:12 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:

Dude, he means "really big" equals "Netherlands big", aka he acknowledges the Netherlands has the best DJ's :P