00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Willyp213 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your overall goal with music?

2,789 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 12:07:00

so...NG peeps, what is your overall goal with your music?

what I mean by this is what do you want to happen with your music and what are you doing to get it there?

Do you

-Want your music to be signed to a record label?
- Want it used in a Flash games or movies here on newgrounds?
-Want it used in bigger game projects, like for game systems or mobile devices?
-Want it to become popular? (obviously)
-Just want people to enjoy it and really don't care what happens with it, but its cool if something does happen

Personally I am actually not focused on getting signed to any record labels, though if one comes around that I like I might consider it.

I mostly want to have my music in games, as making Video game music is what I want to do. Not just flash games but commercial games too. and recently i have had some luck in that field with my music being used in:

Platform racing 3 - ipod/iphone/ipad

Beat hazard ultra - PS3, PC, Maybe Xbox 360

BIT.TRIP COMPLETE - Wii disc

How did i get these opportunities? For Platform racing 3 I was actually asked by the creator if I wanted the song in the game. For BH ultra I found a forum topic in the NG forum looking for music. and for BIT.TRIP COMPLETE I was asked by the Creator if I wanted my 3 songs on the wii Disc after showing them the 3 remixes I did of their music.

So...what are your goals?

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 12:36:57

My music becoming popular and people enjoying it are my first goals when it comes to creating music. Getting signed for a record label is kewl, but I'm not aiming for it (yet). My music being used in a Flash video is also a good thing, since it increases popularity (I can tell), but I don't really need it to.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 14:12:38

My overall goal is to make a solid collection of tracks that gives people a truly enjoyable listening experience. Basically I just want to contribute a page to Newgrounds with a list of fun tracks on.

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 15:32:41

Sustainable source of income.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 15:35:32

At 7/6/11 03:32 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Sustainable source of income.

lol

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 15:53:47

lol

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 16:06:10

Mine wouldn't really get used in anything for awhile.

But at the moment, I just like making music, just gives me something to do.

This is a signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 16:19:59

Music is and will be my career.

Planning on getting my bachelors in film scoring, masters in composition or music education, and doctorate in either ethnomusicology or music technology.

Ideally I'd like to teach music at a university and continue to expand my freelance business doing scoring and sound design. Wouldn't hurt to start learning audio implementation too.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 16:32:04

Lol.

I like making music, and if i can make money off of something that I'm pretty good at and into, I may as well follow up.

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 16:42:33

I just want to make decent music

That's my goal

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 17:05:47

For now I'm just some kid who makes music. I wanna become a pro producer of (in general) electronic.
I wonder sometimes if I could make a living off of it, I'd probably try eventually. I'm kinda skilled at making stuff so maybe it will happen but I don't really know.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 18:26:56

im also in it for sustainable income in the future id love to write music for big project games & movies but fame isnt realy a factor that interests me however if its something that is coupled with my success then i wouldn't mind i just want to make money doing something i enjoy

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 18:32:15

I'm going to take over the world with my terrible music.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 18:35:29

I just want to make good music. I'm not doing very well on that front.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 19:46:43

At 7/6/11 02:12 PM, WetFins wrote: My overall goal is to make a solid collection of tracks that gives people a truly enjoyable listening experience. Basically I just want to contribute a page to Newgrounds with a list of fun tracks on.

Likewise sort of. In the end, I just want reviews from people telling me that they enjoyed my music. It feels really good to know that people are jamming out to some shit you puked out. I don't care if the review is "uninformative." If you like it, let the artist know in one way or another :/

quarl BandCamp

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 19:48:45

I want to change the world. I want people to turn on the radio and hear nothing but atonal music in 5/4. In the end, they'll say "holy shit, that laqur chick made us see the light."

DUMB STEP :D :D

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-06 20:01:36

At 7/6/11 04:42 PM, Acid-Paradox wrote: I just want to make decent music

That's my goal

ditto

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 02:23:37

I want free expressionism with music and to change the face of mainstream music as we know it today.

That won't ever happen, though, and when it does, I'll be out of a job.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 02:35:44

At 7/7/11 02:23 AM, tweerock wrote: That won't ever happen, though, and when it does, I'll be out of a job.

My brain is bleeding...

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 03:21:36

You shouldn't bastardise any kind of art form by trying to acheive some kind of goal from it.

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 04:01:53

At 7/6/11 03:51 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/6/11 03:32 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Sustainable source of income.
lol

Lol.

At least I'll love my job.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 04:15:05

At 7/7/11 02:15 AM, AndyLau wrote: What the hell is a "goal"?

Businessmen have goals...

Musicians have dreams...

That, was beautiful.

I think my 'goal' at the moment is to just please people and make them enjoy music, introduce them to new genres, etc. If at ny time anyone woould want me to score some flash/movie/anything or get signed, that would be a bonus.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 05:16:42

At 7/7/11 02:15 AM, AndyLau wrote: What the hell is a "goal"?

Businessmen have goals...

Musicians have dreams...

Well to put it simply, my dreams include:

1. Getting my sung music onto the big stage.
2. Getting my BGM tracks sighted by a game company.

Here lies the problem, though: with the latter, the employers are so gung-ho in seeking qualifications more than anything else. I don't claim to have a university qualification in music; I'm only about to get a university qualification in law. Yet those who have heard my works can speak for themselves as to what I'm capable of doing.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 09:47:44

At 7/7/11 05:16 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: 2. Getting my BGM tracks sighted by a game company.

Here lies the problem, though: with the latter, the employers are so gung-ho in seeking qualifications more than anything else.

This is... not really true at all. Perhaps you've had that experience with one or two game devs/companies but the truth is (and you will hear this from the mouths of MANY working game musicians in the current game music landscape) that formal training helps, but is not at all necessary. Music in media is very much a skill-based business, if you can produce music within deadlines at a high level of quality there's no reason you wouldn't be hired if a company liked you.

A company looks at your credits (stuff you've made music for) and listens to your work (the music you've made!). Their decision is probably already made before they see you earned a piece of paper from an institution. That might just give them reassurance that you can tackle the job a little better.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 09:58:04

At 7/7/11 09:47 AM, NickPerrin wrote: A company looks at your credits (stuff you've made music for) and listens to your work (the music you've made!). Their decision is probably already made before they see you earned a piece of paper from an institution. That might just give them reassurance that you can tackle the job a little better.

I see. That gives me some hope at least. ^_^ Wonder if I should try, and how I should put myself forward.

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 10:36:18

-Just want people to enjoy it and really don't care what happens with it, but its cool if something does happen

this is what leads to this

-Your music happens to be signed to a record label

so I kinda fail at that part. sadface :(

Monstercats (AudioMachina22) alternate account

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 10:42:44

On the subject, for those of us who have dreams (as far as our music is concerned) but don't know how to realise them...... How are we ever going to move forward?

And what bothers me even more is this - how are we going to prove ourselves if no one wants to give us a chance?

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 12:22:13

I just want to get better with it, because in the past year or so, it seems like I've gotten worse. I mean sure, my presentation quality (compression, samples, vst, ect.) has improved and become cleaner. Yet the numbers say that I'm even less popular than I was a year ago. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 12:54:43

At 7/7/11 12:22 PM, djInTheDark wrote: I just want to get better with it, because in the past year or so, it seems like I've gotten worse. I mean sure, my presentation quality (compression, samples, vst, ect.) has improved and become cleaner. Yet the numbers say that I'm even less popular than I was a year ago. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong.

All my songs almost exactly 4 years ago had 3+, so you are not alone about that. It is kinda weird.

Monstercats (AudioMachina22) alternate account

Response to Your overall goal with music? 2011-07-07 13:11:07

At 7/7/11 12:22 PM, djInTheDark wrote: I just want to get better with it, because in the past year or so, it seems like I've gotten worse. I mean sure, my presentation quality (compression, samples, vst, ect.) has improved and become cleaner. Yet the numbers say that I'm even less popular than I was a year ago. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll take a listen when I'm next able, and if there's nothing I can point out, it might be promotion. Still, I'll need second opinions.