00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ZodiousE just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique my Art

2,962 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique my Art 2011-05-16 20:30:00

Would some one kindly like to critique my drawings

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 20:32:25

At 5/16/11 08:30 PM, poester wrote: Would some one kindly like to critique my drawings

here is the link to my art work im sorry i didnt include link earlier
http://poester.newgrounds.com/art/

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 20:51:47

Honestly, the only good ones are the spongebob one and Jinx logo, and both are copied.

Also, just out of curiosity, is English your first language?

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 21:07:37

At 5/16/11 08:51 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: Honestly, the only good ones are the spongebob one and Jinx logo, and both are copied.

there not copied i free handed both of them from the logos and yes why?

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 21:16:41

At 5/16/11 09:07 PM, poester wrote:
At 5/16/11 08:51 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: Honestly, the only good ones are the spongebob one and Jinx logo, and both are copied.

Free handing from a picture and not providing a link to the source picture and making it clear that it's not your original art =copying.

And I asked because your English isn't very good and was wondering if you had recently learned it.

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 21:18:16

At 5/16/11 09:16 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote:
At 5/16/11 09:07 PM, poester wrote:

Free handing from a picture and not providing a link to the source picture and making it clear that it's not your original art =copying.

And I asked because your English isn't very good and was wondering if you had recently learned it.

im very sorry i forgot to provide the links to where i got the pictures from and plus these drawings are kinda of old and no im just using abbreviations and slang

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 21:26:43

updated art work and fixed errors

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 21:30:46

At 5/16/11 09:26 PM, poester wrote: updated art work and fixed errors

most of the pictures (I didn't search through them all) have very bad proportions, or are just not done.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-16 23:10:19

I'm a new artist to NG and still kind of getting the hang of the way things work around here, but I thought I'd try and help. Of the four drawings you have the only critiques I would give are that some areas of the drawings look a little bit rushed or poorly tended to, with the exception of the heart which seems all around relatively carefully drawn. Also, there seems to be a lot of variation in the actual things you use when drawing, like the paper/pencils/markers, etc. It helps maintain consistent quality to use the same utensils or the same types of utensils each time, such as the same type of paper, the same type of marker or pencil or whatever.

Some things that helped me improve were to spend a lot of time becoming acquainted with proportions, dimensions, and anatomy (I'm thinking of the skeleton), because that will also help with quality and a more solid, consistent image; getting to know the limits and abilities of your utensils; and actually, this neat trick I learned where if you're not sure where you can improve a drawing, you flip it around backwards and honestly whatever mistakes and inconsistencies there are will just right out at you. Works every time, especially with line art and sketches.

Hope I wasnt' too wordy, and good luck. :)

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-18 00:44:21

There is really not much to say. You need to just sit down and practice drawing, and that doesn't mean drawing the same thing over again. Buckle down and go do some good ol fashion still life drawing, and then whether it be from photo or a live model, do as much figure drawing as you can. It can be tough to start out with that sort of practice, but it's kind of like being an athlete: no matter what sport it is, you will never be good if you don't run hundreds of laps and master the basics first. It applies to art as well.

Check out my full body of work at:

Nicholas Mejia - Illustrator

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-18 00:45:26

Also: I highly recommend you check out some books by Glenn Vilppu. His series on life drawing will improve your work infinitely.

Check out my full body of work at:

Nicholas Mejia - Illustrator

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-18 06:44:35

At 5/16/11 11:10 PM, Oink-Moo wrote: I'm a new artist to NG and still kind of getting the hang of the way things work around here, but I thought I'd try and help. Of the four drawings you have the only critiques I would give are that some areas of the drawings look a little bit rushed or poorly tended to, with the exception of the heart which seems all around relatively carefully drawn. Also, there seems to be a lot of variation in the actual things you use when drawing, like the paper/pencils/markers, etc. It helps maintain consistent quality to use the same utensils or the same types of utensils each time, such as the same type of paper, the same type of marker or pencil or whatever.

Some things that helped me improve were to spend a lot of time becoming acquainted with proportions, dimensions, and anatomy (I'm thinking of the skeleton), because that will also help with quality and a more solid, consistent image; getting to know the limits and abilities of your utensils; and actually, this neat trick I learned where if you're not sure where you can improve a drawing, you flip it around backwards and honestly whatever mistakes and inconsistencies there are will just right out at you. Works every time, especially with line art and sketches.

Hope I wasnt' too wordy, and good luck. :)

why thank you for the advice and thanks for the help i really appreciate the advice and yea i just never can find the right paper either that or i just grab something and go at it and ill try that idea and see if it works and thanks for saying the heart looked good thank you and god bless

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-18 06:52:25

DemocracyFTW-All my drawings are finished and they are all free-handed no other utensil is used except for a pencil when i am drawing.
niiicckkmaheeya-Thank you for the help and advice you have given me and what kind of books are these that i will be looking at to help me and also what type drawings should i start out with

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 12:54:44

Just upload a bunch of new art looking to be critiqued thank you all for the help and crucial critiquing you are doing i would rather know my faults then someone lie to me and say its good when it really isn't at all well thank you god bless and have a wonderful day.

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 12:55:59

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 12:58:38

At 5/21/11 12:55 PM, poester wrote: My Art

you mind posting rather than linking?
just a friendly reminder.

Critique my Art

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 16:58:10

At 5/21/11 12:58 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:

Yea sorry but i uploaded a lot of pictures and i wont let me double post unless i wait i added like 4 or 5 more picture unless i can add more than one picture at a time anyways i could try but how long should i wait in between each post

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:02:53

At 5/21/11 04:58 PM, poester wrote:
Yea sorry but i uploaded a lot of pictures and i wont let me double post unless i wait i added like 4 or 5 more picture unless i can add more than one picture at a time anyways i could try but how long should i wait in between each post

about a minuet or two between post should be enough, maybe even less. Although you do have the 4post per 30 minutes limit, but if staggered right that shouldn't be much an issue.
And no, you cannot post more than one at a time. but think of it stretching out your thread and giving you a ton of +1's to your post count.

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:09:03

At 5/21/11 05:02 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/21/11 04:58 PM, poester wrote:
about a minuet or two between post should be enough, maybe even less. Although you do have the 4post per 30 minutes limit, but if staggered right that shouldn't be much an issue.
And no, you cannot post more than one at a time. but think of it stretching out your thread and giving you a ton of +1's to your post count.

Alright thank you i also sent you a PM and yea true does the BBS +1 increase anything lol just wondering and alright that would be good but yea all post all my art work on here and have everyone get a better look see alright so next post and so on and so forth ill be posting my art work so give me some time before posting again

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:10:56

Alright im going to start adding the actual pictures to this Forum thread instead of just linking my art page every time. so here goes picture #1

Critique my Art

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:15:04

At 5/21/11 05:10 PM, poester wrote: Alright im going to start adding the actual pictures to this Forum thread instead of just linking my art page every time. so here goes picture #1

What is it?

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:16:55

At 5/21/11 05:10 PM, poester wrote: Alright im going to start adding the actual pictures to this Forum thread instead of just linking my art page every time. so here goes picture #1

I've been trying pretty hard to find good things to say about your art and critique it without being an ass, but I just can't. The only thing that i'm not entirely positive is copied is the hornet, but it's nearly impossible that you drew that without reference when comparing it to your other...works.

Sorry dude, just keep working.

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:18:26

I've been trying pretty hard to find good things to say about your art and critique it without being an ass, but I just can't. The only thing that i'm not entirely positive is copied is the hornet, but it's nearly impossible that you drew that without reference when comparing it to your other...works.

Woops, I meant the only good looking thing i'm not entirely sure is copied, not just the only thing.

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:19:21

At 5/21/11 05:09 PM, poester wrote: does the BBS +1 increase anything lol just wondering...

I think it might increase your e-penis

fuck my virtual self is more endowed than my real self....
....fuck!

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:26:45

At 5/21/11 05:15 PM, xxlouisx wrote:
What is it?

Its a Zombie based off squidward and mario

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 17:28:40

At 5/21/11 05:16 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote:

Dude nothing is copied all of it is free handed drawings and dude i dont care be an ass more criticism is better idc i would rather have harass criticism than none at all from someone

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 20:30:34

At 5/21/11 05:19 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/21/11 05:09 PM, poester wrote: does the BBS +1 increase anything lol just wondering...
I think it might increase your e-penis
fuck my virtual self is more endowed than my real self....
....fuck!

HEHE oh my lol nice post bud that made me a little happy

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 20:32:48

here is drawing number #2

Critique my Art

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 20:50:13

Hey there! Welcome to the BBS and all that jazz. I have one really important advice to give you that could go a long way:

Draw what's in front of you.

That's it. Seriously, you need to practice drawing what you see first before jumping into copying pictures or just drawing stuff off your head. The brain works as though it has its own eye, but what it sees is different from what you're putting on paper. You need to practice drawing WHAT you see, not what you THINK you see.

Just try it. Draw the thing next to you. Yes, it could be a book, but there's more to that! How big is it? Does is cast or receive shadows? What's next to them and how big are they in relation to the first item? Are there a great deal of space between them? These information are important and teaches your brain to see. That is what makes a casual sketcher an artist.

Always draw what you see and later on you'll be able to draw fantastic pictures because your brain will have had lots of reference in real life. Good luck!

Response to Critique my Art 2011-05-21 20:52:50

At 5/21/11 08:50 PM, Jinberry wrote: Hey there! Welcome to the BBS and all that jazz. I have one really important advice to give you that could go a long way:

Draw what's in front of you.

That's it. Seriously, you need to practice drawing what you see first before jumping into copying pictures or just drawing stuff off your head. The brain works as though it has its own eye, but what it sees is different from what you're putting on paper. You need to practice drawing WHAT you see, not what you THINK you see.

Just try it. Draw the thing next to you. Yes, it could be a book, but there's more to that! How big is it? Does is cast or receive shadows? What's next to them and how big are they in relation to the first item? Are there a great deal of space between them? These information are important and teaches your brain to see. That is what makes a casual sketcher an artist.

Always draw what you see and later on you'll be able to draw fantastic pictures because your brain will have had lots of reference in real life. Good luck!

Omg thank you someone who really gave me criticism that puts me in my place and really tells me straight up what too do thank you so much for the help and advice i will do this more often and yea i mostly just look at a picture and draw something or i just draw something off my mind

BBS Signature